Luxman Solid State or Vacuum Tubes Amplifier

Vivek Batra

20 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Vivek, McIntosh website shows dealers in India and Europe. Here is the link to their page: https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/Dealers/Find-Local-Dealer

copy and pasted: 

DECIBEL
(SOUTH REGION)

CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU INDIA
ADDRESS

21 Chittaranjan Rd
Sri Ram Nagar, Teynampet
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600018
P: +91 44 2431 2834

Thats much appreciated. Thanks a lot. The problem here is no dealer stocks costly amps. You need to pay them in advance and they will import it for you. No way to see the product leave aside the demo. I will reach out to the distributor.

Thanks again for your insights.

45 minutes ago, Vivek Batra said:

I just hung up with a distributor in India who sells Accuphase. He doesn't want to sell Accuphase class A to me but Class A/B. According to him, the low end is not what a Class A can handle but Class A/B with more WPC like > 150 wpc is what Fortes need. Honestly I am not buying this reasoning. 

I'm running the Forte III with 50 Watts class D in a large room and have no plans to "upgrade" any time, soon or not.  Part of it is lack of funds, but that can always be overcome.  Mostly I feel it would be extremely superfluous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, glens said:

I'm running the Forte III with 50 Watts class D in a large room and have no plans to "upgrade" any time, soon or not.  Part of it is lack of funds, but that can always be overcome.  Mostly I feel it would be extremely superfluous.

I totally agree that Forets do not or may not ask more than 10 to 15 WPC.

5 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

Thanks again for your insights.

You are quite welcome, sir.

Let me throw another option out there for you, just because. Purchase a top of the line Yamaha AVR such as RX-A-3070 going in to use it only for 2 channel. What you get from this is 150 wpc driving 2 channels @ .06% THD, a usb port that will play digital files from a usb flash drive including mp3, wav, flac, alac music file types. And you can command the file selection using the AVR remote via the receiver display. I have a rx-v-685 and play digital files from either a 32 or 64 gb flash drive. It cost me $450 new and pushes my cornwall 3 pair very well. 90 wpc full range @ .06% thd.

If you ever decide to do home theater, you have a receiver which will accommodate hdmi switching/input and dolby digital/multi channel operation. Build your digital music files/playlists to the usb drive on your desktop computer. Or if you have a high res music player such as a small Cowen Plenue D, you can plug it right into the AUX terminal and play its digital files thru the AVR. Ditto from an mp3 player too. And the Yamaha AVRs have wifi, can access a network music server, Spotify, ect. 

Way more clean power that you will ever need with your wonderful Fortes. So many options.

6 hours ago, polizzio said:

You are quite welcome, sir.

Let me throw another option out there for you, just because. Purchase a top of the line Yamaha AVR such as RX-A-3070 going in to use it only for 2 channel. What you get from this is 150 wpc driving 2 channels @ .06% THD, a usb port that will play digital files from a usb flash drive including mp3, wav, flac, alac music file types. And you can command the file selection using the AVR remote via the receiver display. I have a rx-v-685 and play digital files from either a 32 or 64 gb flash drive. It cost me $450 new and pushes my cornwall 3 pair very well. 90 wpc full range @ .06% thd.

If you ever decide to do home theater, you have a receiver which will accommodate hdmi switching/input and dolby digital/multi channel operation. Build your digital music files/playlists to the usb drive on your desktop computer. Or if you have a high res music player such as a small Cowen Plenue D, you can plug it right into the AUX terminal and play its digital files thru the AVR. Ditto from an mp3 player too. And the Yamaha AVRs have wifi, can access a network music server, Spotify, ect. 

Way more clean power that you will ever need with your wonderful Fortes. So many options.

Hi

It will be interesting for you to know that I am.already coming from there 😀. In Feb this year I started my journey with RP 8000F, R 115 SW with Denon x4500H. The intent was MUSIC only. Reason to go for an AVR was all the flexibility it extends as you have mentioned, all digital inputs BT, AM /FM and wifi.

For me it was an unfortunate buy. I didn't enjoy it for even a single day. Then I realised that one box solution has many compromises like DAC shared power supply and above all not true WPC is told by the manufacturer. Another thing I learners about AVR is that even if you feed in analogue signal to it, it's internal dac will convert it to digital then again to analogue. I think this is a big no.

So all this pushed me to start over again.

In the end it depends on person to person. There might be people who are happy listening from a smartphone and on the other hand people who ain't satisfied even after spending too much money.

I am just trying to find a reasonable spot in between. 😀

13 hours ago, polizzio said:

The above Lux sells for approx $9500 new. McIntosh is a better value imo. Look at the specs, Mac is like .005% THD @ rated power output, full range (Ok the Lux is .006, pretty much identical). And those blue Mac output meters. Never heard a Lux, but I have the Mac.

IMO, Mac is the standard to judge all others. Don't know if I shall ever own a Mac, but its sure nice to dream.

I had a Luxman years ago.  I was introduced to it as "the McIntosh of Japan."  It was warm and wonderful.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

Hi

It will be interesting for you to know that I am.already coming from there 😀. In Feb this year I started my journey with RP 8000F, R 115 SW with Denon x4500H. The intent was MUSIC only. Reason to go for an AVR was all the flexibility it extends as you have mentioned, all digital inputs BT, AM /FM and wifi.

For me it was an unfortunate buy. I didn't enjoy it for even a single day. Then I realised that one box solution has many compromises like DAC shared power supply and above all not true WPC is told by the manufacturer. Another thing I learners about AVR is that even if you feed in analogue signal to it, it's internal dac will convert it to digital then again to analogue. I think this is a big no.

So all this pushed me to start over again.

In the end it depends on person to person. There might be people who are happy listening from a smartphone and on the other hand people who ain't satisfied even after spending too much money.

I am just trying to find a reasonable spot in between. 😀

Got it, you have been there and done that. So your quest now is for the 2 channel holy grail. I'm learning from this discussion too, taking it all in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

For me it was an unfortunate buy. I didn't enjoy it for even a single day. Then I realised that one box solution has many compromises like DAC shared power supply and above all not true WPC is told by the manufacturer.

So I have heard a couple guys here make that same assertion. But short of independent bench testing, how can one confidently state the AVR manufacturers are lying about their power output?

Clearly Denon and Yamaha publish their performance figures based on a 2 channel output (stereo mode), not 5, 7, or 9 channels driven for their AVRs. It's is the "specs section" of the each product owner's manual and on their respective web site/pages.

Short of precision secondary testing how can one make the statement they are lying about their perf data?

Same goes for Klipsch, known for their very high speaker sensitivity data. No magazine or on line testing I have ever read or seen has equaled Klipsch's claims of individual Heritage speaker sensitivity data @ 2.83 volts (1 watt), one meter distance testing. Is Klipsch lying too? I have read at least one longtime member here on the forum who alluded the Klipsch sensitivity data is false or exaggerated.

I do remember when audio magazines would do actual bench testing for a stereo receiver or AVR, for max power output and noise levels. I have not seen this done in many years (over 10+). And even then there wasn't an industry standard for testing, the same methodology employed by all manufacturers. In order to have a standard, you have to have a governing board, and to my knowledge that never happened in the consumer audio industry in 40 years. Like SAE for example.

Would enjoy reading input or comments from any of the old hands here on the forum on this topic too. I know there are guys here with way more experience and knowledge than I.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:00 PM, Vivek Batra said:

Hi All

I am looking for an integrated amplifier for my Forte IIIs. It will be very helpful for me if any of the members here is using Luxman with Klipsch and could guide me. I have no way to demo Luxman near me so I have to rely on feedback and user experience. What I am looking for is laid back, warm and dynamic output at low volumes. My music taste is old western classical, jazz/rock, country songs.

I am torn between Luxman Class A, A/B and tubes. I am bit reluctant to go with tube amp because I never had any tube amp and I am bit scared of its delicate nature, maintenance and itch of tube rolling. I know most people recommend tube amps with Klipsch. Is this the consensus here?

What about Luxman as a brand overall? I heard heating issues with Class A amp in general. I do not have air conditioning in my listening room and summers here are as hot as 40+ deg

Hope to hear something from experienced guys over here and help me choose the right equipment.

Thanks

Vivek

I have to ask this question, and im not trying to be a jerk.  If you have the money to buy a top of the line Luxman why does your music room not have air-conditioning? I love music, but if it was between sweating and listening to music,  I would have to pick the former. Or I would buy both. Is that common not having AC in India?  AC would be good for your equipment also.

PENTODE SINGLE-ENDED TUBE AMP KIT

https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8800

This is what I would buy: the Japanese Elekit TU8800. It is a DIY kit, but most dealers around the world offer the option to build it for you too. Having it built for you costs around $250, so the total cost would be around $1,500.

Elekit amps get very positive reviews. You pay for the parts and a reasonable profit margin, but not for market design/ing/advertising/brand name, as you would for commercial amps.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I have to ask this question, and im not trying to be a jerk.  If you have the money to buy a top of the line Luxman why does your music room not have air-conditioning? I love music, but if it was between sweating and listening to music,  I would have to pick the former. Or I would buy both. Is that common not having AC in India?  AC would be good for your equipment also.

I did some reading and see it is common over there and in much of Europe not to use AC. The way I sweat I don't think I could do without it. Im a old wimp lol! I was looking at Luxman gear awhile back. Its what I would get if I ever went all out. Peace. 

36 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I did some reading and see it is common over there and in much of Europe not to use AC. The way I sweat I don't think I could do without it. Im a old wimp lol! Peace 

40C = 104F. As people in India enter the middle class, they are re-thinking AC for home comfort. Not to mention the humidity reduction with AC operation, as you said good for all electronic equipment. 

13 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I did some reading and see it is common over there and in much of Europe not to use AC.

That's understandable considering the most southern point of Europe is near Gibralta which is on the same parallel as Nashville, Tn.

Heck, Paris is further north than Fargo, ND.

Bill

6 minutes ago, willland said:

That's understandable considering the most southern point of Europe is near Gibralta which is on the same parallel as Nashville, Tn.

Heck, Paris is further north than Fargo, ND.

Bill

I live about 70 miles farther north than Nashville. Come down here to Southern Indiana in July. Hot and  humid as all get out. But I see what you mean. Most would be North of me. India now thats a different story. Peace

55 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I live about 70 miles farther north than Nashville. Come down here to Southern Indiana in July. Hot and  humid as all get out. But I see what you mean. Most would be North of me. India now thats a different story. Peace

I get it.

Key words, Hot and Humid even in Midwest.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

Good question. Simple answer air conditioning is costlier than Luxman. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mr clean said:

Problem is my equipment is in living room, I do not have a dedicated music room. Being a very old house there is no centralised air conditioning in the living room. It's common to have air conditioning in  India 😀 otherwise.

• Thanks 1