Simple vinyl digitatizing

newriverrat

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 8:01 PM, thebes said:

It's already been done. They are called cd's , and the first 20 years or so of them that's pretty much what they were all about. Vinyl records copied over to plastic and sold as something better.

That's not how cd's are made. I never mentioned I wanted CD's.

Now just how many albums do you want to convert. If it's a bunch, spend a $100 or so on one of those cheapy USB record players.  Or you can go the fancy pants digital conversion software, dac-o-rama thingy. If it's just a few buy the cd and them rip them to your computer.

Or pay nothing and use equipment that I already own. Again, I never said anything about CD's. I want digital to play in my vehicles.

image.png.cbc06bf56d507c47c5f4b67d409294b7.png

Any way you do it you will end up with a subliminal upset stomach because zeros and ones ain't natural, but music mostly is. Analogue and digital are two distinct beasties and trying to pretend they get along together is like trying to imagine harmony in a Three Stooges short.

You're preaching to the choir, hoss. I'm quite aware of binary music and the inclusion of compression.

Edited by newriverrat

I have been using Magix SoundForge Pro since 2002 to digitize my -- not vinyl -- but my shellac 78 rpm collection. My oldest 78 record is from 1896. I use the PC software to clean up the sound, minimizing ticks, pops, and surface glitch. I have used it on a few vinyl records - 45s and 33s but you will not get vinyl quality even though the software lets you digitize at very high sampling rates beyond CD rates. But you can just run a cable from your preamp Tape Out to your PC's sound card input. Cable has RCA plugs on one end and 3.5 mm stereo plug on the other end. There is a learning curve for SoundForge and it is pricey at around $600. Another solution at similar price is to get a Denon DP-450USB turntable. Just plug your thumb drive into the front USB port and record directly from vinyl to USB in CD 44.1 KHz sample rate. I have not tried the Denon product and only know about it from their web site.

• Like 1

@Marvel Oh, only $300 now. Cool. I also started using it when it was Sony SoundForge. It has added so many features over the years and I often use the IZotope plugins. I even fixed a stretched cassette tape by compressing and expanding the time stretch and correcting the frequency shift. It wasn't perfect but pretty good.

I disagree that breaths and touches won't be captured, even at CD specs.  Phonograph cartridges are as, or more(!), variable as loudspeakers in terms of "faithfully" converting between motion and electron flow.  And likely even more than speaker/room interaction, cantilever/cart/tonearm/platter alignments factor heavily in the equation.  Then you've got skating, lead torque, cart output loading, and preamp characteristics to contend with.  Digital is quite arguably very much easier to consistently get right.

I had several hundred LPs at one time back in the '70s.  I'd pared it down to 30-some and haven't had equipment to play them in decades.  Most of them haven't been released on CD and some day I plan to digitize them, but I'm in no hurry and don't expect that when it happens it will be as good as if an engineer did it from tape anyway.  Even if they applied excessive compression and otherwise mucked with the content as so often happens.  

44 minutes ago, glens said:

I had several hundred LPs at one time back in the '70s.  I'd pared it down to 30-some and haven't had equipment to play them in decades.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/188259-vpi-tnt-3-with-tnt-5-platterbearingmotor-upgrades/

Problem solved. It will sound as good as possible from LP/cartridge to your ADC. What you do in the digital domain I can't control. ;)