Thinking about selling off Belle clones I built

avguytx

It's been crossing my mind more and more over the last 7 months we've lived in the house.  I've not been as satisfied with them as I had hoped and I really don't want to do a lot of equipment changing, sub building, etc.  I'm just not at the point right now I care about all of that and seriously considering doing something different.  Bass is hard to get upstairs especially with them being on the short wall (about 15' wide) and having over 30' depth in the room.  They did pretty decent on the long wall but it's not how I wanted that to be set up.  I've been looking at some new speakers and bouncing around some ideas.  I know there's no major value in selling a pair of "clones" but I won't know till I put them out there I guess.  

Things change.   Ideas change.  Stereo changes.  Who knows...

Yep....that's it.  I guess another option might be to take all of the drivers I have and build a set of Cornwall inspired clones.  Notice how I call mine "inspired clones" as that is what they are...not authentic.  I would just want a bigger mid horn, obviously.   

Good tune, btw.

Did you ever post a photo of your beautiful speakers with the bass in grilles in place?  If so, I missed it.

I’ve taken the liberty of attaching a photo from your build thread so that possible buyers can easily see your excellent craftsmanship.  GLWS, or whatever you decide.

53DEB63B-30D3-4CFB-B3C9-1E21004A5C12.jpeg

• Like 2

I've not gotten the grills done yet as time has just not allowed.  I do have the original cloth to cover them with, though. All the house building stuff took over after they went into storage at my buddy's house and every weekend, it seems like there's something else I have to work on. 

Let's see, they DO have original 197x grills, K500 horns and a pair of original Type AA crossovers with Russian MBGO paper in oil caps.  :D But I built all new crossovers too. 

I know you don't want to, but I really consider a sub of some sort. Is it lack of bass you are missing? I to am running Belle clones in a basement that is 15 wide by roughly 33 deep. I sit about 12 feet back and though I feel the bass is plenty with some listening, I do appreciate a sub that really adds. I have tried a couple different subs and will be trying a pair of spud clones. One in particular was a table tuba long style . Couple other things to consider are sound treatments and 2 way active.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@The Dude  I've been using a Sunfire HRS-12 subwoofer which isn't optimal by far...but it's helped some. I know it needs a larger woofer setup like a horn loaded sub to really augment the low end.  But, I really dont want to eat up a ton of space adding subs...it's just not that important.  I'd moved the Belle clones off the short wall and moved in a pair of Cerwin Vega VS150's which sounded quite good, low end wise, but no one would ever say they had that typical CV bloated bass in that spot.  Quite the contrary. 

One setup I'm pondering is a new pair of JBL Studio 590's and a pair of their subs in the same line.  Saves me building new stuff and I can just plug and play, so to speak. The 590's get very favorable reviews and also have a 30 day window for return if not satisfied.  

Or I could pull all the parts from the clones and sell the cabinets maybe, then build Cornscala cabinets and get a larger mid horn.  The bulk of the expense is already done.  Just pondering right now. 

Sorry to hear that you are contemplating getting out of the Belle club. I sill love both sets I have. I also understand that there are those out there that don't.

One of my pair is about as tricked out as you can get with a set of Belles, and the other is close to stock (4500 xover and CT125 tweet)

If you ever want to hear what "upgraded" horns, drivers, crossovers, woofers, wires, etc sounds like in a Belle, head up north for a listen. (I didn't do the upgrade, but picked them up cheap and think they sound great, but sill listen the stock pair and smile.)

• Like 1

I'd thought about moving things around and putting them back on the long wall where they aren't firing into a deep room. That might help.  Means moving ALL the equipment around to do so, though.  Plus, I'm buying a used flat panel to go upstairs tomorrow just to have a bigger "pc monitor" plus for occasional movie or video game and the long wall was where I would do a very basic 5.1 surround setup since I wired for 2 rear speakers.  Still undecided. 

On 12/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, avguytx said:

@The Dude  I've been using a Sunfire HRS-12 subwoofer which isn't optimal by far...but it's helped some. I know it needs a larger woofer setup like a horn loaded sub to really augment the low end.  But, I really dont want to eat up a ton of space adding subs...it's just not that important.  I'd moved the Belle clones off the short wall and moved in a pair of Cerwin Vega VS150's which sounded quite good, low end wise, but no one would ever say they had that typical CV bloated bass in that spot.  Quite the contrary. 

One setup I'm pondering is a new pair of JBL Studio 590's and a pair of their subs in the same line.  Saves me building new stuff and I can just plug and play, so to speak. The 590's get very favorable reviews and also have a 30 day window for return if not satisfied.  

Or I could pull all the parts from the clones and sell the cabinets maybe, then build Cornscala cabinets and get a larger mid horn.  The bulk of the expense is already done.  Just pondering right now. 

get the matching 530's if you do this.  $300 per pair right now. 

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

get the matching 530's if you do this.  $300 per pair right now. 

Not sure what I'd use the 530's for, though.  If I did do something with 590's, they'd be on the opposite wall which isnt the proposed basic surround area. Lol

I should have bought 2 of those Studio subs they had on sale for 189 each and a pair of 580's and called it good. Snoozed too long. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some moving around and they definitely sound better on the short wall where there is an "opposite" wall 14 feet away from them.  On the long wall, they lose everything as the room is too deep.  I'm sure if I move the couch all the way back they would be fine but that's 30 feet and not going to happen.  Even hooked to a highly modified Carver M-1.0t that's rated and tested at 450 wpc, they sound great with not a lick of hiss which the upgraded Carver C-1 has a lot to do with, too, with the output gains being lowered as to provide more volume range.   Sounds good for now till I figure out if I'm moving stuff around "again" and when I'll have time to build 2 new racks.  😕