Osage Orange Khorns?? (wild looking)

Coytee

Found these on ebay....  a bit pricey.....but crazy to look at!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipschorn-Designer-Speakers/383320128750?hash=item593fa8fcee:g:f9gAAOSwrcRd5w5t

(from the listing)

My son and I build custom furniture and do a lot of work using veneers and exotic woods. We are both Audio Nuts. I fell in love with Klipsch speakers in the early 1960's and have loved them since. In the last few years, we have started collecting and storing older speakers from Klipsch, Altec, JBL, and Electro Voice, mostly Klipsch. We plan to repair or replace any defective drivers or crossovers and give the enclosures a cool custom look, but not change any of the great sound.

When we got this 1986 set of Klipschorn Designer Type they were a little rough. However, all of the drivers sounded great. Before we started doing the veneer work, we repaired and enclosed the back of the enclosures and sprayed them in black lacquer. These have been reveneered in Osage Orange. We finished off the enclosures with four coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer from Sherwin Williams. We also replaced the crossovers with new Bob Crites AA crossovers and new tweeter diaphragms. v

Osage Orange Khorns.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Goes to show how far behind the times I am!!

When I first started work at Altec Lansing in 1995, it was as part of the then-new Digital Engineering Group. To make room for us, they re-opened what had been the speaker demonstration room in the 1960s -- a room that apparently hadn't been used for 20 years -- and located our workstations there. The room was decidedly "60s", with thick shag carpeting and wall decoration in exactly the same shade of orange as the midrange and tweeter horns in this photograph. As outrageous as these Klipschorns might be, they would have simply disappeared in that room.

Bit of trivia for anyone familiar with the modern day Great Plains Audio: Bill Hanuschak's anechoic chamber was located right across the hall from that room.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

When I first started work at Altec Lansing in 1995, it was as part of the then-new Digital Engineering Group. To make room for us, they re-opened what had been the speaker demonstration room in the 1960s -- a room that apparently hadn't been used for 20 years -- and located our workstations there. The room was decidedly "60s", with thick shag carpeting and wall decoration in exactly the same shade of orange as the midrange and tweeter horns in this photograph. As outrageous as these Klipschorns might be, they would have simply disappeared in that room.

Bit of trivia for anyone familiar with the modern day Great Plains Audio: Bill Hanuschak's anechoic chamber was located right across the hall from that room.

Did you have an uncontrollable urge to listen to Sonny & Cher while watching reruns of The Mod Squad?

:emotion-19:

• Like 1

Hedge apples.

That doesn't look like any "hedge" (osage orange) wood I've ever seen.  It's always been decidedly yellowish-greenish with no black like on those cabinets.  I've seen a fair amount.  It makes quite good firewood - nearly as hot-burning as coal.

• 1 month later...