Subwoofer or feed bad?? Dumb question ...

Emile

Hi All,

Merry Christmas (one day late). Last week you guys fixed my Crown K1 amp ... thanks again :D 

Not using my sub much ... have KPT-904's :)  But; tried my subwoofer again (Dayton Audio SA1000 amp with a Parts-Express 15" sub kit - used to sound pretty good).  But "nothing when I tried it on Christmas :( .Suspect it is the feed from my AVR (Onkyo  TX-RZ810), but very hard to get to the wiring ... so wanted to make sure the SA1000 amp is working first.

OK; when I try the sub amp, it turns on, but get no sound and do not feel any movement in the woofer. So; tried a 2x50W class D amp ... again no sound, but a "hum" when I turn the volume up :(  

Therefore a "dumb" question :)  Can I just use a L/R line output from my AVR (actually "zone 2 out, which I use for my 904's)? Have no clue why I could not test it like that, but have not found any references on line for this. Just want to be careful and thought I would ask the experts first :D 

Many thanks for your help,

Emile

• Like 1

OK; sub sounds perfect with the L/R feed. So; either the cable from the AVR ot the AVR itself :(  Rat's nest behind the AVR ... and it is in a cedar rack ... nightmare.  OK; will try to pull it out and check direct from AVR to the sub.  Thanks, all :D 

19 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; sub sounds perfect with the L/R feed. So; either the cable from the AVR                              or the AVR itself

Is it possible that the SUB output is turned off at the receiver, either in the speaker settings menu, or in DIRECT mode. Your front panel display should have a tiny icon showing which speaker output channels are active.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Is it possible that the SUB output is turned off at the receiver,

Thanks! :D Tested it directly from the AVR also ... was "good."  So; pretty sure it is the cabling ... either in the attic or at the cable connections :( 

Add-on ... tested the cable "inside" the room ... checks out OK.  Next we'll check the wall plate connection :) 

5 hours ago, Emile said:

Thanks! :D Tested it directly from the AVR also ... was "good."  So; pretty sure it is the cabling ... either in the attic or at the cable connections :( 

Add-on ... tested the cable "inside" the room ... checks out OK.  Next we'll check the wall plate connection :) 

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing what wire are you using? When you mentioned the wall plate,made me wonder...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billybob said:

what wire are you using? When you mentioned the wall plate,made me wonder...

Have about 40 ft of 12 gauge insulated wire running from my AVR up and through the attic, terminating in a wall plate. Then about 20 ft of "regular" speaker wire (think its 14 gauge) from the wall plate to the subwoofer amp. Haha; lot of wiring to avoid a wire "across the floor" ... sub is 6 ft away from my AVR :D   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, billybob said:

Was working in zone 2 before correct?

Thanks. Yes, worked fine. :) But had not used it for like 6 months.  My voltmeter is not sensitive enough to detect AVR sub-out voltage ... but hooked it up "directly" to the sub and works. So; must be the cable. Did a quick visual check and it seemed OK ... but it is buried underneath insulation and Xmas boxes, so I will have to check it more closely :( 

• Like 1