Subwoofer or feed bad?? Dumb question ...

Emile

5 hours ago, Emile said:

Thanks. Yes, worked fine. :) But had not used it for like 6 months.  My voltmeter is not sensitive enough to detect AVR sub-out voltage ... but hooked it up "directly" to the sub and works. So; must be the cable. Did a quick visual check and it seemed OK ... but it is buried underneath insulation and Xmas boxes, so I will have to check it more closely :(Should be alright 

Alright so, still need to do continuity check...

End to end...

BtW, please do not go deep into attic while alone in your abode...

Thanks

• Haha 1

OK; trying again :( 

Continuity check on line from AVR to subamp with 9V battery ... perfect :D  So; hooked it back up again ... sub works fine and no hum :D 

3 minutes later ... hum is back :(  Thought maybe a ground-loop hum, so ran a 6 ft RCA cable direct from AVR to subamp.  Still have a hum ... then "nothing" ... followed a couple of minutes later with good sound from the sub again ... OK; hum is back ... haha; think you get it :( 

??? is it the AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ810) or the subamp (Dayon Audio SA1000) ????? Hooked up a cheap Chinese class D (2x50W) up to the sub ... higher [pitched hum :(  Tried a Luxman R115; same hum on AVR signal, but sub works fine if I select FM

Hum on sub (from AVR) is intermittent ... haha; 80% hum, 15% "nothing" and 5% music.  To me it seems to be the AVR ... darn; only 2 yrs old.  Any further ideas???

Thanks, Emile

Would love to hear a response on the above ...

OK; since I think it is the AVR, started looking at some new ones.  First, Onkyo TX-RZ1100 :)  Looks good, but not sure I need "this much."  Only use the AVR to drive 3 Heresy's ... L/R/C. Think a 50wpc Marantz may be just fine. Using KPT-904's on "zone 2" with a Crown K1, rear Cornwalls via preouts with a Luxman R115 and a sub via sub-out.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Emile

• 2 weeks later...

Haha ... took my Onkyo TX-ZR810 to an Onkyo repair center a week ago.  Got it back today and .... the AVR sub outputs work "just fine.:

:( Was expecting the repair to take 2 months ... so; bought an Emotiva UM-200 AV Processor :(  Nice unit ... $200 anyone :D  

Hooked up the Onkyo to my Klipsch R-115SW ... no problem.  Next, hooked it up (direct) to the Dayton SA1000 sub-amp ... no problem :) or :(  Just no clue what the hell is going on :(  Letting it run for a couple of hours (AVR direct to sub ... FM station.)

20 minutes ago, Emile said:

:( Spend a week hooking up different cables and amps to the subwoofer ... was 99.99% sure AVR sub-out had problems ... guess not :(  

Back to the attic...

Just kidding...Have a glass and relax... good job once again...

Now back to those Epic 4s...

Just ...;)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

OK sorry I'm a little confused. Everything is good until you use the wire that goes up into the attic?

Haha ... I'm confused also.  "Attic" cable is good when I check it with a 9V battery.  AVR sub-out works fine when (now) connected directly to sub-amp.  Next I'll try AVR to "attic" cable ... but won't be for a couple of days as we are visiting friends on an island south of here ... jeez; cold front; will be 60F at the beach :( Will keep you posted :D 

Yeah ... thoroughly confused :)  Hooked up AVR through "attic" cables and everything works fine :(  Had bought an Emotiva UMC-200 AV preamp to "control" my system as I believed I would be w/o my AVR for at least 2 months :(  Putting the AVR back in the (enclosed) cabinet which is a real pain in the a$$ :) 

I put the Emotiva processor in the garage sale section for $200 (paid about $250 for it). Worked great; had it hooked up with a Luxman R-115 for my front Heresies. But did not like the "visual" with the Luxman showing FM stations, etc ... and did not want to buy another power amp :) 

Cheers, Emile