High quality & rugged speaker cable recommendation?

hornsofplenty

Hi all,

Looking to shop for speaker cable (for use with McIntosh MC250 + Klipschorns) without breaking the bank: for best sound and rugged for repeated setup and break down of a sound system in multiple venues. Any recommendations – Amazon or pro audio shop, including in our local SoCal/LA area?

Thanks in adv!

• Like 1

Hi all,

Looking to shop for speaker cable (for use with McIntosh MC250 + Klipschorns) without breaking the bank: for best sound and rugged for repeated setup and break down of a sound system in multiple venues. Any recommendations – Amazon or pro audio shop, including in our local SoCal/LA area?

Thanks in adv!

Paul Klipsch said 18ga. lampcord is all you need. Can be bought on spools at any hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

indeed. I use the Karma SS 12 ga. Nice wire, I like it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Vol. 17. No. 1, March 1978 in The Dope From Hope papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony, some members here will just never buy into that. Anything less than 8 AWG, totally oxygen free, polished strands and cryogenic treated is substandard. Never mind the run length.....

• Like 1

I ran across this couple days ago while researching Stereophile Products of the Year. Who actually purchases this sort of stuff? 

https://www.hideflifestyle.com/products/audioquest-nrg-dragon-high-current-15-amp-ac-power-cable-3-meters?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0ZHwBRCRARIsAK0Tr-rJzdzcBjEqdnN26rNsUKniD3HlBQyIAX7V2IuHfRge18FD7r60iO4aAtjjEALw_wcB

If I did my math correctly, 100W into an 8 ohm speaker is roughly a minuscule 3 1/2 amps.

16 or 18 gauge lamp cord is all you need. The only reason I'd use speaker wire instead is, the jacket and the wires are more supple, partly due to finer strands of wire.

Another factor in favor of lampcord is, both conductors are copper. Many generic brands of speaker wire such as Southwire, sold in the big box hardware stores, uses a COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM for one of the conductors. Tricksters!

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

you got a brand in mind ,  I dont think 8 AWG will fit in some Crown amps 

It was a bit of sarcasm, sorry. One of the tube amp guys here strongly advocated 8 AWG speaker cable. 

I have ordered twice from these guys in Nevada via ebay. Largest diameter I ordered is 12 AWG for an overall 8 foot run. Quality cable at a good price. I make up my own speaker cables with banana plugs. 12 AWG is more than adequate for my needs. 

here is their 8 AWG wire: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ft-TRUE-8-Gauge-AWG-BL-BK-Sky-High-Car-Audio-Speaker-Wire-Car-Home-Audio/283339185179?hash=item41f854dc1b:g:qDYAAOSwirZTsfWn

I ordered these banana plugs last time and really like them. Two pinch screws per connector or plug, holds very well. i had soldered some others previously but think these secure better, better contact area to wire and connector (reasonable price too): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverback-Banana-Plugs-24k-Gold-Dual-Screw-Lock-Speaker-Connector/133074128182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=432378242237&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edit: just noticed they are sold out of the 12 piece box. What i had ordered.