MP3 player ideas?

Coytee

In case this clarifies anything....  what's my purpose?

I usually use my Ipod with my IN ear buds (Custom 3's).  I then put my OUTER and over the ear protection muffs on to kill most outer noise and then either head to some power tools (think leaf blower) or more typical, the backhoe or the tractor where I might be cutting fields for 5-6 hours at a whack.  So I like the idea of some capacity on there for variety.

Years ago, I had a Sony Walkman and a single......  a SINGLE CD on there that was simply on auto-replay.  Was ok for the first three times through the disk.

Later, I burned a music CD of various songs but again, auto repeat.....  so the Ipod gives me a library and I want it to sound good however, it's certainly nowhere near critical listening since I'm also paying attention to the machinery around me to see if I hear any clicks or clunks that shouldn't be there.

Which is the same sort of use I have for a player - nothing extravagant need apply, and no need for hi-rez files, it's just for some musical companionship while doing other things that require sufficient (primary) attention be paid.

Like I suggested earlier, look at that little Sansa unit.

I've been enjoying a Fiio X5 Gen II player for about two years:

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-X5-Resolution-Generation-Titanium/dp/B00ZWAC25E

Here's one on auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-X5-II-MP3-Player/303424383492?hash=item46a580aa04:g:yyYAAOSw-zxd9FPe

Has two micro SD card slots, each capable of a 200gb card. That's a LOT of storage in your hand. You can search music by Artist, Album etc or by Folder. Has separate Line Out and headphone output. The line out is a true line out volume, meaning it's the same volume as a CD line out.

The newer models (M series, like this one) have bluetooth, but I'm content for now using a cord.