Klipschorn crossover replacement

mluc

About 4 months ago I acquired a 1984 vintage pair of Klipschorns with the original AK-2 crossovers.  After some reading I’ve discovered that the AK-2 is not well thought of. So I’m thinking about replacing the crossovers. Does anyone have the AK-2’s and have you thought about replacing them? And will it make a big difference. Also which vendor to use.

any help would be appreciated.

Well I had Ak2, then converted then to Ak3 for years and years. I decided recently that I would do some experimenting and put the squawker back to Ak2 which is -2db compared to Ak3 squawker level. I left the Ak3 woofer cap (100uf) because it works great. So I guess I have an Ak2.5. and I like it. New caps are in order no matter what.

16 hours ago, mluc said:

Does anyone have the AK-2’s and have you thought about replacing them?

I have AK-2 networks in a pair of K-horns. I replaced the capacitors for the midrange and tweeter section mounted in the top-hat, but not the big ones mounted inside the bass bin door. The speakers sound fine, and when I send a test tone to the speakers and observe the readings on a Real Time Analyzer, everything looks good.

16 hours ago, mluc said:

So I’m thinking about replacing the crossovers... And will it make a big difference.

I also have speakers that are modified. "Difference" depends on what you want to change about the sound and how much you are willing to spend.

Thanks for responding to my questions. I guess I don’t know what I want to change about the sound. This is my first pair of Klipsch speakers so I’m not sure what they should sound like. I just figured after 35 years they might need a little sprucing up. Capacitors maybe.

27 minutes ago, Randyh said:

sorry , who will repair OEM XO's to factory condition for $0  ?    and who do you buy the parts from ?  , I am a bit confused here

@Trey Cannon made that offer to the Klipsch owners Facebook group. IF and when he offers the same here, I wouldn't blanket any assumptions on his behalf.

• Like 1