Klipschorn crossover replacement

mluc

On 12/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, mluc said:

I have the K-55M’s.

So if you had the AK2’s would you replace the crossovers, replace the capacitors or leave well enough alone?

Thanks.

*I* would replace the caps in your now 35 year old networks.  Thirty years is a good decision point, though I have one 50 y.o. H700 that does not need new caps.  Use a good film and foil capacitor, like Musicaps, Arizona or Solen.  I think you will prefer them to  metalized film, in spite of the cost. 

You can consider the AK-3 an upgrade to yours.  I am unsure how much of an upgrade. 

I have an unproven theory that a speaker that is used regularly will not need caps as soon as one that is in storage or otherwise unused. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TasDom said:

@Trey Cannon made that offer to the Klipsch owners Facebook group. IF and when he offers the same here, I wouldn't blanket any assumptions on his behalf.

I saw that as well.  That is a tremendous offer, his only requirement is that the owner pay shipping, and use and pay for OEM Klipsch components.

From what I've read the AK and AK2 are the worst XO's Klipsch ever made in terms of SQ.  I would ask Trey if he could upgrade them using OEM parts to an AK3 or newer.

I have owned the Type AA XO's in both LS and Khorn.  The Type AA is highly valued those who have them, including me.

35 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I saw that as well.  That is a tremendous offer, his only requirement is that the owner pay shipping, and use and pay for OEM Klipsch components.

From what I've read the AK and AK2 are the worst XO's Klipsch ever made in terms of SQ.  I would ask Trey if he could upgrade them using OEM parts to an AK3 or newer.

I have owned the Type AA XO's in both LS and Khorn.  The Type AA is highly valued those who have them, including me.

I realize that this is a Khorn thread but you cannot list worst ever xo's without at least a tip of the cap to AL & AB!

I know you have had an AL cuz I sent you a pair that you wouldn't let me burn (I was going to wash them, then burn them if I recall)

Not sure where those ended up, but I am pretty sure someone burned them eventually.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I realize that this is a Khorn thread but you cannot list worst ever xo's without at least a tip of the cap to AL & AB!

Tip of the cap acknowledged!  For brevity I used only the AK, but as you say, that includes the AL and the AB in that family. Likewise the AK2, AL2 and the AB2.

I know you have had an AL cuz I sent you a pair that you wouldn't let me burn (I was going to wash them, then burn them if I recall)

Not sure where those ended up, but I am pretty sure someone burned them eventually.

I sent them out for free to another forum member who need a set of XO's. 

5 hours ago, JohnA said:

You can consider the AK-3 an upgrade to yours.  I am unsure how much of an upgrade. 

I wish I could find the thread on the Klipsch forum where the AK, AK2 and AK3 were discussed.  The conclusion was the AK3 had righted the crossover ship and was a good one.  I've never heard the AK3 so I don't know first hand what it sounds like, but it seems to me it was the equivalent of the Crites A/4500 and the K-77 was upgraded to handle the lower XO point.

I wish I could hear a pair of Klipschorns with the updated crossovers to hear the difference. One side of me wants to experiment and the other side wants to leave well enough alone. Anyone close to eastern Iowa with updated crossovers that I could hear?

Thanks.

FWIW, I have been very happy with my AK-4 crossovers, which replaced AK-3's.  These weren't cheap, but you get a Klipsch-engineered crossovers mounted on the inside of new bass bin doors, and new mid and tweeter drivers .  Very smooth, well-integrated sound and dispersion.  As I understand it, the AK-5 cross's were made for the newer closed-back K's; I tried them and didn't like them as well as the 4's for my standard, open back K-horns.

To the best of my understanding, the AK-6 is a new design and top hat construction, and, for the first time in Klipschorn history, cannot be upgraded from earlier models -- I cannot upgrade from the 4's to the 6's.

Sorry I don't have a cost-free suggestion.     Larry

• Like 1

Call and ask Klipsch -- quite high, $1,800 for a pair wen they first came out in 2002 or 2004, but I heard they'd dropped a lot later on.   In my K-horns, there was great improvement in blending and coherence and linearity, with a reduction in broad peaks and dips in frequency response.  Mostly. the output from the drivers came together much better, helped by the FR improvements.  While the AK3's  were an improvement over the AK2's, the 4's were a big jump up from the 3's in my opinion.

The 4 is very complicated-looking, lots of coils and capacitors, a far cry from the elementary coil-and-capacitor for each crossover frequency of the earlier models.  Very different. The raves in recent Stereophile reviews and now others online are warranted IMO. You should at least listen to a pair if you can.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Chief bonehead said:

You can have your older networks brought up to klipsch spec by contacting Jim at

Jim Moorhouse

JEM Performance Audio

412-401-6915

And Trey Cannon posted on Facebook that he will build replacement networks for FREE if a person will purchase stock Klipsch parts and pay for shipping.  That is all I know.  Please contact Trey for any further info.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:40 PM, jimjimbo said:

And Trey Cannon posted on Facebook that he will build replacement networks for FREE if a person will purchase stock Klipsch parts and pay for shipping.  That is all I know.  Please contact Trey for any further info.

He said Klipsch stock parts. When asked for clarification, he said:

"...same part values as stock and parts if we can get them. If the net has wires...the replacement will too. Just no printed circuit boards in what I build...I will use your PCB and replace the parts."

Here you go: 5% Polyesters for peanuts. 

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PEx

Email Trey set up for this:

crossover_repair@gmail.com