Wanting a pair of La Scala’s

nickyboy6100

3 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Yes I went over there and they were just getting set up. I told them hey need some better electronics and something with tubes. I grew up down by where luttermans was if you remember it..  I may know you. Who knows! I knew Rodger Thornburg real well from up your way.  

Who doesn’t remember Luttermans? I’ve also heard a lot about the Thornbergs. My last name is Fuelling. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

So I’m not crazy thinking 2,000 is a little high?

Correct, $2K is too high.

I know you're new to my spreadsheet but Klipsch has been around for so many years the different models tend to fall into price points.

La Scala - $1208

Belle - $1916

Khorns - $2196

If I had $2K to spend, I'd find a way to add a couple hundred bucks and pick up Khorns.  I had to travel but I got my 1978 LS's for $600.  The 1979 Khorns were $900.  Deals are out there.  Know what the values are and when something pops up, pounce!

Good luck on your search.

In my mind, the delta between the CHII and any LS is huge.  Night and Day.  Apples and Oranges.   Cats and Dogs.

But, don't sell your CHII before you hear your LS in your environment.  

CHII perform better at higher volumes with a good quality solid state amp.

LS perform fabulously with both tube and solid state, and are much more "in your face" than a CHII could ever be.  Perfect for live music performances.  Really great when configured with updated drivers and networks.

But, different strokes for different folks......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Correct, $2K is too high.

I know you're new to my spreadsheet but Klipsch has been around for so many years the different models tend to fall into price points.

La Scala - $1208

Belle - $1916

Khorns - $2196

If I had $2K to spend, I'd find a way to add a couple hundred bucks and pick up Khorns.  I had to travel but I got my 1978 LS's for $600.  The 1979 Khorns were $900.  Deals are out there.  Know what the values are and when something pops up, pounce!

Good luck on your search.

I will check out the spreadsheet and thanks for the heads up on pricing. I would love to have k-horns, but we just moved to a new house and I don’t have good corners and don’t plan on moving for a long time. I think I barely have enough room for LS’s and not optimal at that. 

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

In my mind, the delta between the CHII and any LS is huge.  Night and Day.  Apples and Oranges.   Cats and Dogs.

But, don't sell your CHII before you hear your LS in your environment.  

CHII perform better at higher volumes with a good quality solid state amp.

LS perform fabulously with both tube and solid state, and are much more "in your face" than a CHII could ever be.  Perfect for live music performances.  Really great when configured with updated drivers and networks.

But, different strokes for different folks......

That’s why I’d like to try them. 75% of my listening is live music. I love the chorus. I’ve just had them for a long time and have always wanted to try something new. I’ve been though a ton of amp/preamp options with them. I’ve always wanted to try tubes, but in my opinion, the Chorus sound better with a lot of clean power. I’m sure they sound good with tubes, but my experience has been better with clean high current power. I would like to try tubes with the LS. 

You have a dad named Nick, who runs and should have my name on here, Mr Clean. A Uncle named Steve who was best friends with my half brother Tom Kincheloe, who just passed away. A Uncle  Warren I used to work with. I knew Tony a little, and thought Sally was a living Doll in High School . Don't tell her that lol!  Do I have the right person?   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr clean said:

You have a dad named Nick, who runs and should have my name on here, Mr Clean. A Uncle named Steve who was best friends with my half brother Tom Kincheloe, who just passed away. A Uncle  Warren I used to work with. I knew Tony a little, and thought Sally was a living Doll in High School . Don't tell her that lol!  Do I have the right person?   

My dad is Nick. I’m Nicholas and you have everything else spot on!😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

That’s why I’d like to try them. 75% of my listening is live music. I love the chorus. I’ve just had them for a long time and have always wanted to try something new. I’ve been though a ton of amp/preamp options with them. I’ve always wanted to try tubes, but in my opinion, the Chorus sound better with a lot of clean power. I’m sure they sound good with tubes, but my experience has been better with clean high current power. I would like to try tubes with the LS. 

Nothing makes the Chorus II's pound harder than a good tube amp. After Denon, Crown, Yamaha, Adcom, and Thorens, all SS, I bought a Dynaco St-70 II, hooked it up to the II's and the 35wpc of class A push-pull tube power hit so hard I couldn't feel the couch I was sitting on, it felt like I was floating. If you have II's, you owe it to yourself to hear them with a good tube amp.

I never heard of you. Those were just lucky guesses 😎! I remember seeing you around with your parents and I think I recall you coming in wesselmans with your mom and sister when you was a small fry. I remember that being your name after you said it. I must not be as burnt up as I thought lol. Ask Warren if he knows Cruise Daddy. My last name is Cross. I may take your old speakers, if you want to sell them when you get new ones. I will let you get back to speakers now. Peace!   

4 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’ve always wanted a pair of La Scala’s. I’ve read all the problems with bass not going low enough, but still am interested in hearing a fully horn loaded speaker. I don’t have good corners, or I would be looking for K-horns. I’m concerned that my room is too small for the La Scala to really shine. Listening room is 12x15.5 and the speakers would have to be placed on the short wall against it.  I currently have Chorus 2 in this room and they sound good. They have to be pulled off the wall about 2 ft to do so. This makes their footprint much larger and I figured the LS might take up less space if pushed against the wall. I have had forte 2’s in this room and again, they had to be pulled away from the wall quite a bit to sound good. This puts the speakers in a bad place for me because I have a 4 year old that I’d rather keep out from behind them. So my questions are- 

1. is my room sufficient for La Scala’s.

2. Is it an upgrade or at least a lateral move from the C2 to the LS. Thanks in advance.

Well my friend first let me say  the la Scalas II will work in a small room without a doubt period !! My room is 10x13 I love them and so will you !!  As for a used mkt price I'm not sure  I image.jpeg.4d9a37571ad55a8da6cfb6827dd360fb.jpegimage.jpeg.4d9a37571ad55a8da6cfb6827dd360fb.jpegimage.jpeg.2089530dddca8f73107fb0dcf484a2a5.jpegimage.jpeg.0de61a8aedfd70f85593b0def8c9041c.jpegpurchased mine from Audio classics where I buy all my used Mac stuff ,call them they are very fair and you will have a warranty . Here is pic of my setup !! 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

If money was not a problem, I would listen to some Cornwall IV. They are not as placement sensitive as the Chorus II or F II and for the size of the room, they might do great.  

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about cornwalls too, but I still want to try a fully horn loaded speaker. I was mostly worried about this size of my room. Seems like they will work according to the posts of other members. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fattner said:

Well my friend first let me say  the la Scalas II will work in a small room without a doubt period !! My room is 10x13 I love them and so will you !!  As for a used mkt price I'm not sure  I image.jpeg.4d9a37571ad55a8da6cfb6827dd360fb.jpegimage.jpeg.4d9a37571ad55a8da6cfb6827dd360fb.jpegimage.jpeg.2089530dddca8f73107fb0dcf484a2a5.jpegimage.jpeg.0de61a8aedfd70f85593b0def8c9041c.jpegpurchased mine from Audio classics where I buy all my used Mac stuff ,call them they are very fair and you will have a warranty . Here is pic of my setup !! 

image.jpeg

Sounds like they work in your space! That’s great to know. Nice setup too. Where is Audio Classics?

8 hours ago, Fattner said:

Cornwall latest version is 6000.00, wow ,,,,,,, don't tell anyone but I purchased my New La Scals from audio classics (yes new ) shipped to me in Ca much less than the price of new Cornwallis !! Just saying 

Smart buy. Yes the new Cornwall IV don't seem to be flying off the shelves @ $6k a pair. I have yet to see anyone post here glowing about their new CW IV. 

Cory had a B stock set listed for ~ $4500 a pair, a nice deal. Hopefully one of these days we shall have some CW4 owners report on their purchase/impressions.

Congrats on your new LS! 

13 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I... This puts the speakers in a bad place for me because I have a 4 year old that I’d rather keep out from behind them. ..

I wouldn't get the LaScala's. Your 4 year old may successfully crawl into the bass bin's folded horn, and your local fire department will have to cut the speaker apart to remove him.

😋

• Haha 1