Wanting a pair of La Scala’s

nickyboy6100

13 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

That’s what I was hoping to hear!! I did see that the LS2 might be a little better with bass. I’m assuming not deeper, just better because of the cabinet design? Also, what would be a fair price for a pair? I’ve seen prices all over the place. None cheap that’s for sure. 

Think you would be pleased with the bass... welcome.

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

I wouldn't get the LaScala's. Your 4 year old may successfully crawl into the bass bin's folded horn, and your local fire department will have to cut the speaker apart to remove him.

😋

I’d give him sufficient time to crawl back out before I called the fire department😂

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

That’s another concern. I’m very used to good deep bass out of the Chorus. I could always pair them with a horn loaded sub I guess. 

Was always pleased with the bass of my Chorus. Used my LaScala in a smallish room and was pleased.

As for your LaScala, they will come.

Just be ready with cash in hand and, do not hesitate as competition exist... Good Fortune

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

I wouldn't get the LaScala's. Your 4 year old may successfully crawl into the bass bin's folded horn, and your local fire department will have to cut the speaker apart to remove him.

😋

Lol being a retired firefighter/paramedic I would not cut those beautiful speakers ,I would shake the child out !! Lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

That’s another concern. I’m very used to good deep bass out of the Chorus. I could always pair them with a horn loaded sub I guess. 

Dont be concerned. The LS bass has a strong impact and the clarity is excellent, better than anything else I have heard (x khorn). The drawback is it does not go as Low as some other speakers. The bass you will be getting is superior to what you were getting in the majority of the spectrum and depending on your taste in music and listening preferences, you may be extremely satisfied. I would rather have the bass from the LS than the bass from the Chorus (my humble opinion) it will hit you as hard as you like.

If you miss the bottom octave, it is a quick fix with a sub. 

It still boils down to your initial question, to which the answer is buy them. You will have fun either way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Was always pleased with the bass of my Chorus. Used my LaScala in a smallish room and was pleased.

As for your LaScala, they will come.

Just be ready with cash in hand and, do not hesitate as competition exist... Good Fortune

Did you miss a lot of low end with your LS compared to the C2? If you could only keep one set, which would it be?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

In my mind, the delta between the CHII and any LS is huge.  Night and Day.  Apples and Oranges.   Cats and Dogs.

But, don't sell your CHII before you hear your LS in your environment.  

CHII perform better at higher volumes with a good quality solid state amp.

LS perform fabulously with both tube and solid state, and are much more "in your face" than a CHII could ever be.  Perfect for live music performances.  Really great when configured with updated drivers and networks.

But, different strokes for different folks......

If you want in your face rock-n-roll drum thump La Scalas are the ones but if you want better definition and no resonance problems across the sound spectrum + deeper bass the Chorus is the winner. I happen to like the Chorus I because it is placement neutral as much as a speaker can be since it is front ported. Your child and your cat won't have a passive to destroy with the Chorus I.  As Jimbo says you really need to listen to all these before you spend money again. Take your favorite music with you and play it when you audition speakers.

I have probably gone through ten sets of LS or LSI's and perhaps fifteen sets of Chorus I's and II's. I always recap crossovers and then have a listen because it does improve things and yes I know you can't do that with some one else's speakers. For the last year I also change out the tweeters to something better and after restoring, fixing and modifying my preference is the Chorus I. Front ported which is important to me since they can be used anywhere and very musical and still have great thump if you need that too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Did you miss a lot of low end with your LS compared to the C2? If you could only keep one set, which would it be?

The LaScala I suppose. Organ music was especially nice, old or new music.

A difficult choice actually, as I listen to a lot of rock music.

Had the Chorus not the Chorus II

Chorus front ported.

As you said, could always incorporate the right subwoofer after first listening without one.

Please refer to Mookie's post just above for more.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Buy them LaScala is also my recommend...they will come so be ready...

There seems to be a consensus!

We have spent too much time talking about the bass. That is only a portion of the listening experience. 

Both Chorus (I & II) are excellent speakers. I simply prefer LS and by a good margin. You may not, but will always wonder unless you try it.

Good luck! You are in a win/win situation. You will have great speakers either way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

We have spent too much time talking about the bass. That is only a portion of the listening experience. 

Both Chorus (I & II) are excellent speakers. I simply prefer LS and by a good margin. You may not, but will always wonder unless you try it.

Good luck! You are in a win/win situation. You will have great speakers either way. 

Indeed consensus, as much time as I had with my Chorus, and as short as had with the 84? LaScala, I would not hesitate to spring upon the LS... running to get them, for any type of music. Only have a Pair of Heresy at the moment but given more space or not, I look almost every day for a pair...

6 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

And the nice thing is if he does change his mind later on he can sell for what he has in them so you get to listen on the cheap. Pipe organs Mookie. There is only one way to enjoy the big pipes but you have to be able to play them first and 50hz does not get anywhere close. Of course my solution would be a set of Super MWM's so I am not normal.

• Like 4

I was thinking about my last reply here. It was funny how many deep drum and double bass and five string bass notes I had missed over the years completely unaware they even existed. I had no idea big chunks of some songs were just gone because I could not play them.  As the music was meant to be played where the full range of the sound could be heard. I can hardly wait to see Jimbos jaws drop when the S-MWM's get fired up next spring and yes I know we are not talking about them but we are discussing bass and if it was not an integral part of the music why then did the composer put it there?

You do not know what you are missing until you find out.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I was thinking about my last reply here. It was funny how many deep drum and double bass and five string bass notes I had missed over the years completely unaware they even existed. I had no idea big chunks of some songs were just gone because I could not play them.  As the music was meant to be played where the full range of the sound could be heard.

Yes!  I couldn't agree more.  Not only the notes themselves, but the thump and attack of those bass notes.

30 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I was thinking about my last reply here. It was funny how many deep drum and double bass and five string bass notes I had missed over the years completely unaware they even existed. I had no idea big chunks of some songs were just gone because I could not play them.  As the music was meant to be played where the full range of the sound could be heard. I can hardly wait to see Jimbos jaws drop when the S-MWM's get fired up next spring and yes I know we are not talking about them but we are discussing bass and if it was not an integral part of the music why then did the composer put it there?

You do not know what you are missing until you find out.

Yes for some, LF reproduction ceases @ 50 hz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

And the nice thing is if he does change his mind later on he can sell for what he has in them so you get to listen on the cheap. Pipe organs Mookie. There is only one way to enjoy the big pipes but you have to be able to play them first and 50hz does not get anywhere close. Of course my solution would be a set of Super MWM's so I am not normal.

We are talking (or were) about a 12 x 15 room, and I made the leap of faith that he, like me, does not listen to pipe organ music on a regular basis.

My preference for Klipsch models is directly related to size, the bigger the better. To best a LS you have to give up more money and much more space.

Super MWM would be great as I not normal either.

The music they do cover, they do it with authority and clarity that will put a smile on your face.

subs2.png.f2c02d41753baad7b2252a5fb8c50282.png

• Like 3