Wanting a pair of La Scala’s

nickyboy6100

18 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

We are talking (or were) about a 12 x 15 room, and I made the leap of faith that he, like me, does not listen to pipe organ music on a regular basis.

My preference for Klipsch models is directly related to size, the bigger the better. To best a LS you have to give up more, money and much more space.

Super MWM would be great as I not normal either.

The music they do cover, they do it with authority and clarity that will put a smile on your face.

subs2.png.f2c02d41753baad7b2252a5fb8c50282.png

Hoarder alert!  It's no wonder I can't find a pair of LSI's for a decent price.  LOL  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

We are talking (or were) about a 12 x 15 room, and I made the leap of faith that he, like me, does not listen to pipe organ music on a regular basis.

My preference for Klipsch models is directly related to size, the bigger the better. To best a LS you have to give up more money and much more space.

Super MWM would be great as I not normal either.

The music they do cover, they do it with authority and clarity that will put a smile on your face.

subs2.png.f2c02d41753baad7b2252a5fb8c50282.png

You are more than likely right and the music they do cover is with authority. I remember a set of one piece LSI's I had with fiberglass and trim on a set of KP-480's with kind memories. 

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I was thinking about my last reply here. It was funny how many deep drum and double bass and five string bass notes I had missed over the years completely unaware they even existed. I had no idea big chunks of some songs were just gone because I could not play them.  As the music was meant to be played where the full range of the sound could be heard. I can hardly wait to see Jimbos jaws drop when the S-MWM's get fired up next spring and yes I know we are not talking about them but we are discussing bass and if it was not an integral part of the music why then did the composer put it there?

You do not know what you are missing until you find out.

Which is why I have horn SUBS and all horns in my setup except surrounds. I am missing nothing. I still think a pair of LaScalas with horn subs, like F20 or THTLP are better than Khorns alone. Even my Quarter Pies with tapped horns are better than Khorns, with the right "top end" on them, but not for looks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Which is why I have horn SUBS and all horns in my setup except surrounds. I am missing nothing. I still think a pair of LaScalas with horn subs, like F20 or THTLP are better than Khorns alone. Even my Quarter Pies with tapped horns are better than Khorns, with the right "top end" on them, but not for looks!

OP is thinking along those lines and I told him a horn sub keeping it an all horn system would be the way top go. You see his room size so any suggestions?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m going down to talk to Dave in Nashville. I want to hear a pair before making any other decisions. I’ll probably leave there with a set. 😎 

Dont let him corrupt you. Listen to the LS and nothing else. Grab a pair of LS and get the heck out of there.

Or bring your wife. That will work too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I've agreed with @ClaudeJ1 so many times on this.  I'll do it again.  I have both Khorns and LS with sub.  LS with sub sounds better to me.  Not by a little bit, but by a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m going down to talk to Dave in Nashville. I want to hear a pair before making any other decisions. I’ll probably leave there with a set. 😎 

I took my beater LS out for sound at a large party, almost 100 people in a room that was 1800 sq. Ft and 25 ft ceiling. I used a Crown xli800-- 200wpc. I've used them at home in an 11x19 room with 3.5 wpc tube amps. They are down right spooky real sounding either way.

Bruce

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I've agreed with @ClaudeJ1 so many times on this.  I'll do it again.  I have both Khorns and LS with sub.  LS with sub sounds better to me.  Not by a little bit, but by a lot.

Having owned 2 pairs of Khorns over 30 years, several pairs of LaScalas, 10 Pairs of Peavey SP-1's and FH1's, a pair of beautiful Jubilee Clones with TADs, and my original Quarter Pies, THT, two THTLPs, OThorn, 3 Danley TH-50's, Danley DTS-20 (serial #0001), and a pair of DTS-10's, and several direct radiator Subs, I believe even Khorns and Jubilees need a sub, although, the Jubilee's with Roy's low end boost settings can get by without subs, since those double 12's can generate Sub 40 Hz. bass without appreciable distortion, since it's like and 18 with 2 motors! BUT, for systems doing double duty as 2 channel and 11 channel ATMOS, with subs, like my setup, you absolutely need subs to get anywhere near believable (unbelievable to those Kheads that came over in Aug.) out put at 20 Hz. and below!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Dont let him corrupt you. Listen to the LS and nothing else. Grab a pair of LS and get the heck out of there.

Or bring your wife. That will work too. 

I hear you. He’s already corrupted me over the phone! I’m taking my wife, but she’s no help. She’s pretty laid back and knows how passionate I am about music plus I just bought her new carpet for the bedroom so I’m on my own. Wish me luck!😂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I hear you. He’s already corrupted me over the phone! I’m taking my wife, but she’s no help. She’s pretty laid back and knows how passionate I am about music plus I just bought her new carpet for the bedroom so I’m on my own. Wish me luck!😂

You're on your own, I tried to warn you.

• Like 1