Wanting a pair of La Scala’s

nickyboy6100

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I will say, they haven’t been placement sensitive. I haven’t touched them since I hooked them up. I do appreciate that. Live music just sounds awesome. I’m not an audiophile, so I can’t really put it in words.  I’m just blown away by them so far. 

Glad to read this. Still thinking you'll need a subwoofer?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I haven’t ruled one out. I can see where it would be beneficial. I just don’t want to take away the realness of the sound and horn loaded subs are big. 

wellllll... they don't look quite as big once you have La Scalas in your room. So there's that selling point. ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I haven’t ruled one out. I can see where it would be beneficial. I just don’t want to take away the realness of the sound and horn loaded subs are big. 

Most of the horn subs are big, but it's generally pretty easy to place one standing up so you're not taking up a lot of floor space.  I run subs with everything but from time to time I will run rigs without a sub while comparing or testing speakers and without fail, every time I hook a sub back up, I don't think about running without one.  The moral of the story is, you won't necessarily miss it if you never hook a good sub up, but once you do, you're stuck with it. :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Most of the horn subs are big, but it's generally pretty easy to place one standing up so you're not taking up a lot of floor space.  I run subs with everything but from time to time I will run rigs without a sub while comparing or testing speakers and without fail, every time I hook a sub back up, I don't think about running without one.  The moral of the story is, you won't necessarily miss it if you never hook a good sub up, but once you do, you're stuck with it. :D

I agree with that. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers with a sub. mind you, neither are top shelf... R15Ms and an Accurian sub...

would much rather listen to my LS w/o sub...that doesn't take a brainiac to understand.  Can't justify the $$$ for a sub to go with the LS. I do think I would like one. That I don't have one...think I'm missing something... How much? I dunno. Specs can be deceiving.

I do agree with, "once you get one..."  For the time being, I suffer w/o. It's been over a year with the LS...

• Like 1

I listened to the LSI’s all day. They sound fantastic. I got on a Grateful Dead kick and probably listened to five albums. I tried to crank them up, but couldn’t get much past a quarter volume. All the folks that said they could get loud were not joking. I couldn’t be happier with the decision to get these. They are better than what I expected after hearing some of the complaints. I would agree that a good horn loaded sub would really pair well with them, but on their own, they put out good accurate bass. I’m not sure I’ll build one or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

His tweeters are in them and they are braced up pretty good. AA crossover with new caps. They are really nice looking speakers. 

Yes man... turned up is key although low is cool too

Sub can...............wait!

BTW, Dave's tweeters...WOW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Are they all stock, or did Dave install some other goodies?

Rectangular SMAHL + DE120. Type E crossover rebuilt to AA configuration with Sonicaps and no zeners. Eminence Kappa 15C to replace the non stock K-33's that were in them and because I wanted to hear a set since so many here brag on them. Mid brace from dog house to sidewalls. Duratex. Extra screw driver also supplied because I care.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, nickyboy6100 said:

I listened to the LSI’s all day. They sound fantastic. I got on a Grateful Dead kick and probably listened to five albums. I tried to crank them up, but couldn’t get much past a quarter volume. All the folks that said they could get loud were not joking. I couldn’t be happier with the decision to get these. They are better than what I expected after hearing some of the complaints. I would agree that a good horn loaded sub would really pair well with them, but on their own, they put out good accurate bass. I’m not sure I’ll build one or not. 

I have H3's and had them in corners and did not fell the need for a sub. I moved and one speaker is in a corner and one is against a wall. So, I added a HSU VTF-2 MK5 subwoofer. It's not expensive, is very tunable and has a 30 day return policy. I kept it. I did not know what I was missing. In another life I ran a sub with La Scala 1's. Big smile.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to report back since I’ve had a few weeks to listen to the LS1’s now. I really like them. If I used one word to describe them it would be realistic. They are very clear and can play very loud. I love the bass. Sounds totally different than the Chorus. It seems a little cleaner and have yet to hear it get muddy. I would still have a very hard time picking between the two. Both are just great speakers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1