New Heresy IV mid horn and driver?

absolve2525

3 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

The new K702 is very similar to the Celestion CDX1-1748, possibly in a 16ohm version. Besides, the tweeters from AK6 and AL5 also look a lot like the tweeters from Celestion

:D

I have been wanting to see that driver for a while now, thank you. My initial guess would be that, while Klipsch could have a diaphragm made for their use, it would be more cost effective to use the CDX1-1748 as is... and data sheet looks like it would fit the bill without alteration? I've also heard good things about this driver on other forums.

I had originally thought the K771 was a B&C DE7 but the Celestion CDX07-1075 does look a bit closer in some images? They could very likely be made in the same plant by a contracted supplier though?

6 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

For me the profile of PH-2510 still looks a lot like K704 which equips the new Heresy IV.

PH-2510 VS K704 Klipsch, the profile seems identical, tractrix?

You know it is the new K702 compression, I would like to replace the K53ti with K701 of my Cornwall III because I find that the sound is creaky in the meddle, maybe my ears do not like Titanium 😪

PH-2510 = K704

I own both. No difference other than the notch/cutout for the 12" woofer.

If you wish to replace the K701/K53Ti in your HIII or CWIII with a K704/DRIVER then expect to modify or replace the HF/MF network.

I have a single CWIII that hangs out in my garage for mono duty. A while back I did play around with installing a K704 with a few different drivers just for fun... none of them sounded right or looked right when analyzed. You can swap out the Ti diaphragm for the old phenolic style in the K53. A few forum members have said they actually prefer this to the Ti? I found the difference negligible in my testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CANT said:

344005056_K704PH25101.thumb.jpeg.a9f8beabc0ba14e616b7fedda812281b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Do tell....

The threaded insert appears to be molded in on one, pressed in on the other; look closely at the narrow-side profiles; and the screw head interfaces.  Apart from the flange cutout...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, glens said:

The threaded insert appears to be molded in on one, pressed in on the other; look closely at the narrow-side profiles; and the screw head interfaces.  Apart from the flange cutout...

The thread insert is molded into both but the insert itself is slightly different... you have to remember these were likely made years apart, with the K704 being older, things change over time. I’ve personally seen 3 variants of the K703 ranging from the KLF/CF days to the more current applications. The mounting screw holes on the 2510 are slightly larger and tapered but I do not consider that much of a difference?

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

are you sure the new K702 is a 16ohms driver , or could it be an 8 ohms driver

My guess is it is not. The K70G used in the Forte III is 8ohms. If they didn’t bother messing with the FIII I’m not sure why they would mess with the CWIV?

19 hours ago, CANT said:

If you wish to replace the K701/K53Ti in your HIII or CWIII with a K704/DRIVER then expect to modify or replace the HF/MF network.

I have a single CWIII that hangs out in my garage for mono duty. A while back I did play around with installing a K704 with a few different drivers just for fun... none of them sounded right or looked right when analyzed. You can swap out the Ti diaphragm for the old phenolic style in the K53. A few forum members have said they actually prefer this to the Ti? I found the difference negligible in my testing. 

Hi CANT, thank for your reply,

Maybe I should change the driver and do K701/B & C DE250 (in 16ohm so as not to modify the network), because at home, in France, It costs more to bring the diafragms for the K53 (transport from the US is very expensive) than buying the DE250 (around 85 € here). The difficulty will remain the narrowing of the throat, I saw here on the forum that some had succeeded without too much distortionand with good listening much better than with K52/53. Or later I will have to modify the K701 so that it is fully compatible with the DE250 :)

A bit like jjptkd with its Chorus II horn mounted with K55

I'm pretty sure there's a little more to it (in terms of the crossover) than "will a different driver of the same nominal impedance mount the same."  Perhaps it'll be okay, but maybe not so ideal.  But who knows, without trying, and measuring, and listening...

On 1/23/2020 at 12:19 AM, JohnA said:

Wow!  Just heard about the Audioquest wire in the video.  Carbon impregnated insulation?  Carbon is a conductor.  Polyethylene (PE) should be a long lasting insulation, but nitrogen injected?  What for? 

Why the simple answer is marketing. There are cheapskates like me who buy 12g zip cord 100' at a time and then there are those golden ear's that can apparently detect differences to subtle for me. Golden ears are blessed with insatiable desire to spend money and marketing likes them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Why the simple answer is marketing. There are cheapskates like me who buy 12g zip cord 100' at a time and then there are those golden ear's that can apparently detect differences to subtle for me. Golden ears are blessed with insatiable desire to spend money and marketing likes them.

You got that right. How about a $1000 amp power cable that connects to a $2 outlet and ordinary romex wire in my walls?

And i have seen a single power cable for.........wait for it...........$13,000 on a high end audio products website. 

On 12/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, absolve2525 said:

I see that the new Heresy has a new tractrix horn and midrange driver. Very interesting! Does anyone know more about them? It looks to have the same outer dimensions as the older K—701? I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade/swap with an older Heresy or Tangent horn. 

The H4's also have a different midrange crossover frequency. It appears that it would not be a simple swap.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, polizzio said:

You got that right. How about a $1000 amp power cable that connects to a $2 outlet and ordinary romex wire in my walls?

And i have seen a single power cable for.........wait for it...........$13,000 on a high end audio products website. 

There was a 3 meter doo-dad with a box that had what appeared to be four potentiometers behind the fancy facade and knobs over at Audiogon for over $60,000 USED. I used to go there for the humor of it all but the idea that so many there are dead serious about their nonsense became more than I cared to experience.

The new Heresy is a great improvement because of all the real things done to it. The wire is marketing department nonsense.

• Haha 1