Price of used K-402 horns?

PrestonTom

This question is about a tentative sale. It is tentative because not all the pieces are lined up yet. Alas, my Jubilees may be too big for my house. 

However, if the stars did align, I might keep the bass bins and just sell the K-402 horns. They deserve a good home. The horns were purchased about 5-7 years ago and are constructed from the heavier material. 

I recall the pair of horns (with the K-69 drivers and mounts) were about $2000 (with an additional shipping charge). They were purchased from American Cinema Equipment. It looks like I will just be selling the K-402 horns and the buyer will need to supply the drivers. 

These come up for sale so infrequently (and one never knows the actual final price). I really have no idea of what a fair price might be. Is there a market for these and what might a fair price be? They are located in Connecticut and local pick up would be strongly encouraged. 

Again, there are a number of contingencies and the ultimate sale may need to include the bass bins also. Alternatively, I may not sell them at all. Such is life ....

So again, what is a fair price for these big horns?

Thanks,

-Tom

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Just curious to know what you would replace 402's with.

I am at a point in life where the idea of remaining in a large home and yard is no longer very attractive. So the stereo needs to be compatible with a living room set up. Jubilees are not part of that equation unfortunately. I have enjoyed them for the last dozen years and it will not be easy to say good bye to the Jubilees. 

One option is to use a K-510 with jubilee bass bins. I have done this in the past and although it takes up about the same volume as a Klipschorn, it is still a bit large (although it does sound fantastic). So I will probably nix that idea and go with a two-way system where the K-510 is paired with a ported bass bin with a total volume of about 5 cu ft. I have a very nice JBL 15 in woofer that I can cross at about 800Hz (similar geometry to a JBL S4700). If I make it taller, then the bass bin would be similar to a JBL M2. 

This transition will occur over the next year or so. 

-Tom

• Like 1

That doesn't work unless it's highlighted.  Type the @ then as you type the user name, select it from the list that populates below your type and it will look like this.  [mention=13639]Born2RockU[/mention]
Thought that's exactly what I did on my phone app. I remember typing it in and selecting his username. Strange, but thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom, you have always been a wealth of knowledge and I thank you! Those are most likely the best version.....without the the P drivers.... i wouldnt flinch at 1300 plus shipping....but i have a bias i have a pair and have heard alot of good systems, the 402 dialed in is simply just amazing......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juniper said:

Tom, you have always been a wealth of knowledge and I thank you! Those are most likely the best version.....without the the P drivers.... i wouldnt flinch at 1300 plus shipping....but i have a bias i have a pair and have heard alot of good systems, the 402 dialed in is simply just amazing......

Thank you. The K-402's are special and I will miss them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If you are interested in a complete system (K-402s with JBL driver and a Jubilee-style bass bin), then PM me by all means. I will even toss in the cosmetics. 

If you are asking me to dismember them and sell off pieces, I won't go down that path. These are a nice system and need to be enjoyed that way. 

-Tom