Need a new DAC

Audio Flynn

I test drove a Sabaj D5 and found it to be a very good sounding DAC, I returned it but it compared favorably to the DAC 2.0 in my Vinnie Rossi LIO.  It falls within your budget, it uses the ESS 9038 Pro.  The LIO is smoother switching between different formats and ultimately cleaner and more refined, but the Saba D5 was not embarrassed in any way, outstanding value.

Best,

Ed

I am still deciding how to approach my music: stream vs. "hard copies" ie (CD, LP, Tuner, Internet Radio). Not sure if I'm into paying for my music. And physically going out to a music store and looking for music is kinda appealing still and gets me to socialize. It's kinda like a pilgrimage. Never ripped CD's onto any file whatsoever, but can't imagine it being difficult. But imagine if I rip them onto a device that only does that and does not have an internal DAC of it's own, I must have an external DAC between that source (The Ripper) and the Preamp. Yes? Pretty sure that's correct.

Lately been curious if I can somehow include my PS4 or XBox into the hifi system and a point source say for Spotify if I should want to try streaming sometime. Also I think I can store my own music on it's app too. I think I use a USB for that. I guess I get there by first saving the ripped music onto either a computer or another device that rips specifically, like the Astell Kern CD Ripper? Any experience in this?

Thanks.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:37 PM, Audio Flynn said:

Amir and the site are quite the read.

Topping D70 was ordered by my wife. Keep everyone posted.

Audio Science review made a big impression on my wife and I. After 37 years of putting up with me and my passions I let her make the final choice. In her early years she played flute, bassoon, organ and a bit of piano. After playing 40 or so CDs through the Topping D70 it is amazingly better than my perhaps in need of repair MSB LinkIII with monolithic power supply of the Channel Islands.

No jitter fatigue at all. Easy to locate vocals and instruments in space. Paul Simon, EC, Stills and NY Martin guitars sound spot on. Snare and ride cymbal sound realistic but not edgy. Piano note attack is close to well mastered analog.

Best 500 USD I have spent on audio since my dearly departed H H Scott LK48 17 years ago.

The Chi Fi D70 is an option to be considered for OPT and COAX PCM.

I have yet to try BT, USB or DSD performance. BT pairing instructions are not clear.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Topping D70 it is amazingly better than my perhaps in need of repair MSB LinkIII with monolithic power supply of the Channel Islands.

I have the tipping DX7S myself and I LOVE it. Amazing for the small chunk of change it will run one on sale.   Yes, amir and the crew over there make quite the interesting read indeed.  Very helpful community. Congrats on your decision/purchase. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I have the tipping DX7S myself and I LOVE it. Amazing for the small chunk of change it will run one on sale.   Yes, amir and the crew over there make quite the interesting read indeed.  Very helpful community. Congrats on your decision/purchase. 

Have you found instructions or used BT mode? I cannot recall if BT is offered on the DX7.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 11:46 PM, Audio Flynn said:

The power supply on my Channel Islands seems to have died. It was about 11 years old. Using my old MSB Link III with Monlithic power supply with non functioning sampling board. It is 16 years old. Both have Burr Brown chips.

For a job interview I studied AKM DAC chips. Certainly a Mytek or Benchmark would be great but pricey due to my forced early retirement after 25 years. Still looking for a job at 59.

My wonderful bride of 37 years said I can spend 500 USD or so on  new DAC. The Chi Fi phenomena has passionate folks on both sides pro and con. The Topping D70 seems to have good AKM components.

What others should I consider?

SMSL SU-8. (v2) is FANTASTIC for 250$.

TRUE BALANCED DAC! XLR + RCA outputs! ESS Sabre! remonte control AND of course great great sound (after a couple weeks burn-in; mine sounded nasal and had no bass before that, but I'm sooo glad I patiently waited )

Edited by Rolox