Receiver to Receiver using Pre-outs still not working!

RLink

Hi everyone.   Question, I have a two channel Pioneer Elite Receiver SX A9mk2 that I was hoping to utilize the Pre-outs on the back to connect to my Pioneer Elite VSX 33 Receiver for more power.  Both units say I can add an additional amplifier using the pre-outs but, not another receiver.  Where I'm confused is it looks like an amplifier would have pre-out inputs.  Both of these receivers have a Pre-out OUTPUT!

I'm guessing I can't do what I want but looking for any assistance or confirmation...........Thanks so much.

• Like 2

No problem hooking your "preamp" up to the VSX 33, just use one of the inputs like "aux."  But ... you will be working with TWO preamps which is a bit of a pain - dual volume, etc. controls :( 

Looked at the VSX 33, but could not determine if you can just use it as a power amp (would have a pre/main jumper on the back). If it does you could use the "main power" input, but you would loose everything else you might be using the VSX for.  Might be easier to pick up a power amp and only use it with your Pioneer SX. Depending on the power you need, there are a lot of good power amps out there for pretty cheap (Nikko, Crown, Yamaha, etc.)

Cheers, Emile

S000ooooo plug the RCA chords from the VSX 33 pre-outs output to the SX A9MK2 inputs using the Aux or the other way around?   Makes sense Emile if I can do it right.

Honestly, just trying to find a home for my two channel SX A9MK2 channel receiver and not purchase any additional amplifer and this crossed my mind..............Thanks. 

Merely set and forget the volume on the driven unit, using whatever (analog) input you want, except for any "phono" it might have.  Looking at a picture of the back of said unit, you can use Tape (in), Aux 1 or 2, or CD.  It'll be no problem whatsoever.

I had that backwards, was looking at the two-channel unit.  On the seven-channel unit it would be any red/white pair that says "IN" by it.

Frankly, I doubt you'd be gaining enough power to notice anything.  Its specs say 110x7 output, but it draws 400 from the wall so there's absolutely no way it'll actually make 770 out.  It maybe could make 110x2 if used for only two channels, but that's less than twice the 70 the other amp is rated for, and twice the power would be 3 dB louder, which ain't much at all.  Twice as loud requires 10 dB which is ten times the power.  A 1 dB change is pretty much the threshold of being able to detect a change in volume.  3 dB is more noticeable, but hardly so.

36 minutes ago, glens said:

I had that backwards, was looking at the two-channel unit.  On the seven-channel unit it would be any red/white pair that says "IN" by it.

Frankly, I doubt you'd be gaining enough power to notice anything.  Its specs say 110x7 output, but it draws 400 from the wall so there's absolutely no way it'll actually make 770 out.  It maybe could make 110x2 if used for only two channels, but that's less than twice the 70 the other amp is rated for, and twice the power would be 3 dB louder, which ain't much at all.  Twice as loud requires 10 dB which is ten times the power.  A 1 dB change is pretty much the threshold of being able to detect a change in volume.  3 dB is more noticeable, but hardly so.

without actually taking a look at the schematics of both amplifiers it is impossible to say which amp will do a better job but I would be happy to have as many watts more head room as I could get provided it actually sounds better. That in a nutshell is what the OP needs to do listen to both amplifiers and make the decision which one he likes more. Make sure you take the time to do a reality check once or twice or more over a period of weeks repeat the experiment to double check you still like what you like and for the same reasons. Comparing components is a great way to learn and to develop your critical listening skills.

• Like 1

That's excellent advice.  I'd use whichever of the units, by itself, that could better get the job done.

I'm totally unfamiliar with either unit, but am guessing the stereo rig would get the nod in this case, even with its likely couple dB less headroom than when the AV unit is running only 2 channels.  If the AV unit is powering more channels, its front left/right likely have less than the stereo-only rig.

19 hours ago, RLink said:

Hi everyone.  I have a two channel Pioneer Elite Receiver SX A9mk2 that I was hoping to utilize the Pre-outs on the back to connect to my Pioneer Elite VSX 33 Receiver for more power.

2 hours ago, RLink said:

Would like to utilize the 2 channel receiver as the main source but will experiment as suggested.

Happy New Year.......!

The SX-A9mk2 looks like a good quality receiver. What speakers do you have?

Nothing I have tried here seems to work.  My goal was to use the AV Receiver (Pioneer Elite vsx 33) as the main source since all my surround speakers and other equipment are hooked in the back.  Hoping to just use the two-channel (Pioneer Elite SX A9MK2) as an additional power source.  Right now there is no equipment hooked up or any speakers??  Unfortunately both units as I've indicated have PRE-OUTS BUT NO INPUT.

Thanks for all your assistance with this............

IMG_20180629_150921949.jpg

IMG_20181214_143615756.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RLink said:

both units as I've indicated have PRE-OUTS BUT NO INPUT

Little bit confused :(  Few receivers/amps show a "pre-input," the inputs you use (from the other "pre-amp" out) are the regular inputs such as aux, cd, tape, etc ... Pre-amp outs run at about 1 Volts ... regular inputs are about 1 Volt. Should work just fine unless I am missing something :) 

We've PM'd a bit about this.  The only thing I can think that's causing trouble is if the AV pre-outs don't "out" anything unless they're first enabled via a configuration option.

To reiterate:

Hook the AV pre-outs to any line-level input on the 2-channel.  Hook the speakers to the 2-channel.  Select the appropriate input on the 2-channel and turn its volume control to about half as a starting point.  Adjust the 2-channel volume control to where the speakers play at a level that's appropriate for where the volume control on the AV is, then leave the 2-channel volume control alone as the system volume will be controlled by the AV.  If both volume controls change with the remote, reset the volume on the 2-channel and block its remote receiver.

In the end I think all you'll accomplish is no or extremely little benefit gained.

Connect the red and white front RCA pre-outs on the VSX receiver to the CD input on the other unit.  It'll be tough to match the volume output with your other speakers since you'll be utilizing each volume control on each unit. 

Obviously you'll have to connect the speaker wire for your main speakers to the outputs on the SX A9MK2 receiver. 

On 12/29/2019 at 5:51 PM, RLink said:

Hi everyone.   Question, I have a two channel Pioneer Elite Receiver SX A9mk2 that I was hoping to utilize the Pre-outs on the back to connect to my Pioneer Elite VSX 33 Receiver for more power.  Both units say I can add an additional amplifier using the pre-outs but, not another receiver.  Where I'm confused is it looks like an amplifier would have pre-out inputs.  Both of these receivers have a Pre-out OUTPUT!

I'm guessing I can't do what I want but looking for any assistance or confirmation...........Thanks so much.

All you need to do is find the volume setting on the "slave unit" (as it turns out you want to use the 2-channel receiver for this, which is not what you said a few posts after the quote above, where you'd said you wanted to use the 2-channel as the source).  Starting over...  you want to find the volume setting on the 2-channel where its "pre-amp out" is the same level as whatever you're feeding it.  I went over that meticulously in a PM response.  Review that again.  (But swap the units in my instructions because they were based on using the 2-channel as the "master", not the "slave" [which is what you'd said, meaning to or not].)

That will be the baseline volume setting which you will leave alone on the 2-channel unit.  Once you put the scheme into use you may find you need to adjust the 2-channel volume up or down a tad, but once you find the setting that works best, it will be correct for all situations and you will not change it.  The overall in-room volume will be controlled by only the AV unit's volume control.

This is extremely simple!

I see where I confused you Glens, I meant to say I want the AV to be the source.  I will do what you said in the PM but reverse the units per your direction.

Last question, I promise.   So do I hook up my main speakers to the AV unit or the two channel and leave them like that.

Thanks again for all your assistance everyone...............I will get this.