Receiver to Receiver using Pre-outs still not working!

RLink

The way I now understand it:

- You want to use your AV unit to select sources and control the volume (and presumably there are surround speakers - though that's only material if you need to match volume levels for all the channels - which will work just fine).

- You want to use the 2-channel receiver only as a "power amp" for your front left and right speakers, fed from and controlled by your AV unit.

What you need to do is feed the 2-channel from your AV's "pre out"s, to any high-level input (Aux, CD, Tape In, etc.),  select that input on the 2-channel, hook your speakers to the 2-channel, adjust the 2-channel volume to the necessary level - which it will thereafter always stay at - and you'll get done what you want to do.  I'm guessing the 2-channel volume will be at the 2 o'clock setting or thereabouts when you get done.  Start at 12 o'clock (or "half-full" volume).

The detailed instructions I gave you in answer to your PM will work, but I think I had the units reversed.  What you're looking for as a starting point is to have the "fed unit's" pre-outs to be at the same level as what the fed unit is being fed (the "feeder's pre-out level").  If you carefully review my instructions that should make sense.  That would be the best starting point for the "fed" unit volume setting, but you can adjust it up or down as needed.

If the "fed" unit's pre-out is at the same level as what it's being fed (the "feeder's" pre-out level) it will be all the same as if you were feeding the "fed" unit's power amp via "power amp inputs", if it had them.  You achieve this via the fed unit's volume control, but once properly set you will not change it - ever.  Which is why you might have to put a piece of tape over the remote control "window" on the "fed" unit if your remote speaks the same to both units.  You don't want the "fed" unit's volume control tracking along with the "feeder's" volume control whenever you adjust your system volume.

This is aggravating to me because it's so simple and I can't seem to get the point across.  I'm not mad at you, and am glad to help; I just wish it weren't so damn difficult to do so!

20 hours ago, glens said:

The way I now understand it:

- You want to use your AV unit to select sources and control the volume (and presumably there are surround speakers - though that's only material if you need to match volume levels for all the channels - which will work just fine).

- You want to use the 2-channel receiver only as a "power amp" for your front left and right speakers, fed from and controlled by your AV unit.

What you need to do is feed the 2-channel from your AV's "pre out"s, to any high-level input (Aux, CD, Tape In, etc.),  select that input on the 2-channel, hook your speakers to the 2-channel, adjust the 2-channel volume to the necessary level - which it will thereafter always stay at - and you'll get done what you want to do.  I'm guessing the 2-channel volume will be at the 2 o'clock setting or thereabouts when you get done.  Start at 12 o'clock (or "half-full" volume).

The detailed instructions I gave you in answer to your PM will work, but I think I had the units reversed.  What you're looking for as a starting point is to have the "fed unit's" pre-outs to be at the same level as what the fed unit is being fed (the "feeder's pre-out level").  If you carefully review my instructions that should make sense.  That would be the best starting point for the "fed" unit volume setting, but you can adjust it up or down as needed.

If the "fed" unit's pre-out is at the same level as what it's being fed (the "feeder's" pre-out level) it will be all the same as if you were feeding the "fed" unit's power amp via "power amp inputs", if it had them.  You achieve this via the fed unit's volume control, but once properly set you will not change it - ever.  Which is why you might have to put a piece of tape over the remote control "window" on the "fed" unit if your remote speaks the same to both units.  You don't want the "fed" unit's volume control tracking along with the "feeder's" volume control whenever you adjust your system volume.

This is aggravating to me because it's so simple and I can't seem to get the point across.  I'm not mad at you, and am glad to help; I just wish it weren't so damn difficult to do so!

I GOT IT FINALLY................THANKS FOR STAYING WITH ME ON THIS.

Maybe what I should have just said is to set the volume to "pre-amp unity gain" on the slave receiver?  I assumed that would need explaining, so explaining how to do that is what I attempted out of the gate.  My bad?

Have you found it to be worth the trouble, so to speak?  I'm guessing any improvement will be about as subtile as fancy speaker wire or equipment interconnects.  Maybe you'll hear improvement (maybe not) which is or isn't there...

Don't be shy about it.  Just pretend you're an audiophile reviewer and break out your colorful prose thesaurus. 

It was cool to hear them and see them together but when using a surround mode it was difficult to match the sound quality together.  I would almost hear like an echo and doing any room adjustments didn't do that much.  I would finally get it balanced but not worth the effort to do that all the time.  Just listening to stereo was great and it did apply ample power.  You think explaining this to me was bad, you have seen me explaining how to put everything on with my wife.....Need to keep it simple so decided the overall benefits were minimal.

Still, I learned a lot and very much appreciated your help...........

On 1/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, glens said:

Thing of it is, were I there with you it would've taken about 127 seconds to have it all up and running, and adjusted.

Yes frustrating it sometimes is to make someone understand a semi technical issue by the written word when you know if you were there with them they would get it, probably lickety split. Then you both could just enjoy☺️