Reconfiguring a Heresy Cabinet.

Foxman

I have a technical question and I appreciate any thoughts people may have. Forgive me for the length here, but long story short, my wife hates the tallness of the Heresy as a center channel standing up or laying on its side.

The exterior volume (bare with me I realize it is needs to be based on the interior volume, but for the sake of the argument hear me out) is approximately 4415.5" of that speaker.

Q1: If I made a cabinet with slightly more volume (4680), using the same components (meaning the interior volumes would be similarly different), but that is more aesthetically acceptable to her (13" H x 15" D x 24" W), I am assuming I would have similar performance qualities. Is this a fair statement? I could make it 12" and loose just a bit of volume 4320" if the extra inch is a deal breaker for her.

Q2: Assuming the above is true(ish), but want to increase the depth of the bass, would adding a 10" passive radiator provide lower bass or just more of what I already get from the 8" driver by itself?

Q3: Would the brand of passive radiator make an impact since it does not involve magnets etc.? IE: Parts express has a 10" Dayton Audio for $26.98.

If it is more of the same, I'd rather not spend money on more electronics like new crossovers. I am looking for an ultra-low-budget modification hence the reason for using the same components.

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

You said 8 inch driver. Heresy is 12 inch.

Rear porting instead of passive is usually done here.

Thank you. Getting old is for the birds. Yes, 12". So you favor rear port over passive. 10-4. That opens some other questions naturally such as size and number of ports. My RF-7's had rear dual ports that looked to be around 3" maybe 4" ports. Something in that vein then?

• Like 1

It amazes me that a set of speakers can offend women so much when they have the rest of the house in most cases. I gladly buy from those who wimp out and have had some real deals that way. I would build just the way Claude recommends and ignore the pouting.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It amazes me that a set of speakers can offend women so much ...

Heh ... my former SO once blew her cork because I hung a blue dish towel on the oven handle, that clashed with the brown motif of her kitchen.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, foxman said:

Q1: If I made a cabinet with slightly more volume (4680), using the same components (meaning the interior volumes would be similarly different), but that is more aesthetically acceptable to her (13" H x 15" D x 24" W), I am assuming I would have similar performance qualities. Is this a fair statement? I could make it 12" and loose just a bit of volume 4320" if the extra inch is a deal breaker for her.

If she doesn't like the dimensions of the Heresy on its side I don't see how she would like the reconfigured measurements that you posted.  On its side the Heresy is about 15 1/2" tall.  Will 2 1/2" shorter be enough of a difference?

The Heresy is 13 1/8" deep.  I'd lay it sideways on its back and show her how that looks since it would be pretty much what you're proposing.

If you keep the internal volume, you will maintain original performance.  To properly add a port or passive radiator you will need to adjust the cabinet volume larger.  If you just increase the cabinet volume, you will add a few hertz on the bottom at the expense of ripples in the low bass response. 

Here is an alternative that is the same frontal area as a La Scala treble section.  I believe this is rear ported, too. 

DSC00023.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnA said:

If you keep the internal volume, you will maintain original performance.  To properly add a port or passive radiator you will need to adjust the cabinet volume larger.  If you just increase the cabinet volume, you will add a few hertz on the bottom at the expense of ripples in the low bass response. 

Here is an alternative that is the same frontal area as a La Scala treble section.  I believe this is rear ported, too. 

DSC00023.JPG

great idea