Black Chorus II touch up vs repaint? Sharpie work?

alkemyst

I inherited some Chorus II and the risers got a bit beat up during the move :( Nothing horrible but one side of each has a couple chips, a couple banged corners and some minor scratches to the cabinets.  The worst blemish is some water raised the grain on the top of one, but I will probably put something on it and try to forget about it :).

Outside of the Rustoleum #7777 recommendations for fully refinishing, will  plain old sharpie work OK or will it be too black?

• Like 1

Thanks, the sharpie was what I was worried about as in my experience it's a very glossy and dark solution and the Chorus II looks more satin and a lighter shade of black.

For the polish, TasDom, this is standard polish and not edge dressing right?  I had considered edge dressing as well...

1 minute ago, alkemyst said:

Thanks, the sharpie was what I was worried about as in my experience it's a very glossy and dark solution and the Chorus II looks more satin and a lighter shade of black.

For the polish, TasDom, this is standard polish and not edge dressing right?  I had considered edge dressing as well...

Yeah, just standard black shoe polish. I'm sure the shade of black varies by mfg. so some trial and error may be necessary.

46 minutes ago, moray james said:

many black felt pens are actually very dark purple and this will show up when looking at it from an angle.

Exactly what I intended to say.

I'd try shoe polish (paste, as it will also fill to a certain extent).  The suggestion of nail paint might be good, too, which reminded me also of a box I've got somewhere with several little bottles of Testors model paint that may yet be good-enough after all these decades.

Perhaps the best thing would be a trip to the lumber yard for a touchup/filler crayon, or two - to match both the black and the veneer finish if not also black.

2 minutes ago, glens said:

Exactly what I intended to say.

I'd try shoe polish (paste, as it will also fill to a certain extent).  The suggestion of nail paint might be good, too, which reminded me also of a box I've got somewhere with several little bottles of Testors model paint that may yet be good-enough after all these decades.

Perhaps the best thing would be a trip to the lumber yard for a touchup/filler crayon, or two - to match both the black and the veneer finish if not also black.

what ever you use it needs to match in both color and sheen

Too funny, was just in the same boat. 

The pair I had was so far gone I had NOTHING to lose by trying the “Sharpie method”.

It literally was down to bare wood on close to half of the surface. Like a picnic table after ten years of the elements.

If you smudge the marker with your fingertip before it dries (yes, you will look like you were just printed at the station) it rubs away the purple.

I took it a step further by applying Antique Oil and rubbing it off.

79F45C5C-4F4A-4333-A644-896605A7CB00.jpeg

• Like 1