One squawker louder than the other

Madman1

These are a new to me pair of Heresy ii, they’re in nice condition and look all original except I think they have titanium diaphragms in the tweeters. Pulled the crossover out the other day just to look and it still has the old caps in there. They actually sound really nice but today I noticed that one mid is louder than the other. I thought it could be my amp so I tried another with the same result. Would this be a cap issue or could there be something else going on. The horn mounts directly to the magnet on these, right? So there isn’t a gasket that needs replacing like on the k55v?

I’ll dig into them soon but wanted to see who has run into this before.

Thanks,

Mark

2 hours ago, Madman1 said:

These are a new to me pair of Heresy ii, they’re in nice condition and look all original except I think they have titanium diaphragms in the tweeters. Pulled the crossover out the other day just to look and it still has the old caps in there. They actually sound really nice but today I noticed that one mid is louder than the other. I thought it could be my amp so I tried another with the same result. Would this be a cap issue or could there be something else going on. The horn mounts directly to the magnet on these, right? So there isn’t a gasket that needs replacing like on the k55v?

There is no gasket, no.  The diaphragm 'snaps' into the magnet assembly and then is held on by screws to the horn.

Like was mentioned, check all connections.  Whenever I buy used speakers the first thing I do when I get them home is open them up, disconnect and reconnect each driver's input wires several times to get a good connection.  Doing that may solve your issue.

I would also check to make sure that the drivers are wired in phase with each other.  If the previous owner had them open to replace the tweeters with titanium diaphragms who knows if they unhooked other stuff.

Status update:

Played around a bit with these but still scratching my head. I did miss one obvious thing tho, one tweeter has a titanium and the other looks factory, guess I’ll try to find one more titanium...anyway that isn’t the problem at hand. So I jiggle move and messed with all the wires and such. As I did the mid would drop in and out. Pulled all drivers and had only the mid working, noticed some distortion so I pulled it out and could tell the horn and driver has been apart before. Pulled it apart again 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, wuzzzer said:

There is no gasket, no.  The diaphragm 'snaps' into the magnet assembly and then is held on by screws to the horn.

Like was mentioned, check all connections.  Whenever I buy used speakers the first thing I do when I get them home is open them up, disconnect and reconnect each driver's input wires several times to get a good connection.  Doing that may solve your issue.

I would also check to make sure that the drivers are wired in phase with each other.  If the previous owner had them open to replace the tweeters with titanium diaphragms who knows if they unhooked other stuff.

and all looked fine to my eyes, put it back together  and hooked it up again with mid only, sill distorted and drops in and out. So...I switch the mids from one cabinet to the other and it follows that same mid. I’m guessing that this one driver is bad but I don’t have access to a meter right now. Could it be a bad driver and still be intermittently dropping in and out like that?

• Like 1

If you think it is the midrange driver that is bad I have a pair that I took from a pair of 1985 Heresy IIs when I changed them to titanium that you can have for the price of shipping.  Both are in perfect working order. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

If you think it is the midrange driver that is bad I have a pair that I took from a pair of 1985 Heresy IIs when I changed them to titanium that you can have for the price of shipping.  Both are in perfect working order. 

I do believe that the one is bad or going bad. I would absolutely take you up on that gracious offer. I’ll pm you for payment info. 
Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Randyh said:

it is quite rare that drivers go bad , but diaphragms do----

Yea, I guess I said that wrong just calling the  midrange that was giving me trouble a driver. Like I mentioned I moved the whole mid to the other cabinet and it was still having issues so I didn’t see the need to test the xover any further. The other mid sound great in either cabinet.

26 minutes ago, Randyh said:

.you gotta open the driver - pull out the diaphragm , reseat it and re-test , normally ---you can avoid this by simply checking with a multimeter the readings of both drivers --------if the reading is the same on both drivers ----reseating fixes it , it does'nt the driver would be defective , but this is very - very -------rare  ------

That’s what I did, except for using a multimeter to test it. 

11 minutes ago, Randyh said:

right , the multimeter gives you ahead of time the reading of the voice coil  , sometimes the leads wires can be the problem , or a bad solder joint , or a bad diaphragm -or  a bad cap can extend frequencies that damage the component , a Heresy 2   crossover can be  very easily recapped ,  -------------do you you have a square or round cup  , the square is  more resistant , the round one tends to get unglued and rattle  -----

Yea, I plan to recap at some point but wanted to sort this out first. Square cup. I’ll try to dig my meter out this week. Put all my tools in storage when I moved this year and not sure exactly where the freaking thing is.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:43 PM, wuzzzer said:

Just wanted to give another thanks to Wuzzer. Shipped me a pair of diaphragms FAST! Popped those babies in and problem resolved.
Real stand up my man! 

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Just wanted to give another thanks to Wuzzer. Shipped me a pair of diaphragms FAST! Popped those babies in and problem resolved.
Real stand up my man! 

Thank you!

Awesome!  Happy to have helped. 

• Like 1