Setting up Bluetooth on BAR 48 - IGNORE

DaleG

Update 20 January 2020. Ignore this post. Two of the three BAR 48 soundbars I received failed to pair with Bluetooth. I returned them all and am now a happy owner of a competing brand.

Original post.

Several posts have been about Bluetooth problems on the BAR 48. Due to a different problem, I now have my 2nd BAR 48 and it seemed like BT pairing was hit and miss on both of them, but I've found a procedure that works well for me to pair to my Windows 10 laptop and Android smartphone. Basically, BT must be the source when you power off, then on, then BT will be the first source when the BAR 48 is powered up and pairing must be the first thing you do. After that, connecting to the paired device should be as normal as any BT device.

Procedure:
1. Set the Bar 48 source to Bluetooth. Blue LED will blink slowly to tell you nothing is connected.

2. Power off by holding down the Power button for 5 secs. Then unplug the power cord.

3. Wait 10 secs, plug power cord in. Wait 10 secs. Press Power on for 5 secs to turn on the BAR 48. Source should (MUST) be Bluetooth (blue LED blinking slowly).

4. Have your device ready to pair (for me, Windows 10 or my Android smartphone).

5. On the BAR 48 remote, press the BT button for 3 seconds, then the blue LED should blink more quickly on the BAR 48, indicating it is ready to pair.

6. On your device, pair to "Klipsch Bar 48".
Try it and let us know how it works for you.

Edited by DaleG

• 4 months later...

Doesn't work. 1st Bar 48 paired fine to the phone but wouldn't pair with the sub woofer. After being bs'ed to by the retailer for 3 weeks, Klipsch told me it was a faulty unit based on the serial number, and replaced it. Now sub pairs fine but can't pair anything other than the tv. Starting to think it just a shit brand

On 6/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, Natste9d said:

Starting to think it just a shit brand

@Natste9d

The Klipsch soundbars, especially the BAR 48, have had more than their share of issues but it's unfair to suggest the every Klipsch product is similarly affected.

Register your new soundbar and be sure to install the latest firmware

Based on comments in these forums by different owners it appears that these soundbars have some major quality control issues. Just because one of your issues has been resolved with your new soundbar doesn't mean there aren't others waiting to be encountered. I have several issues with mine that the latest firmware does not resolve.

It's important that we all share our experience with Klipsch technical support: I've asked if there are newer hardware revisions that may resolve some of my issues but I have received no response. You, on the other hand, got a newer model. I get an email every three or four weeks that basically says engineering is working to resolve my issues but they still haven't provided an update. I've been patient but this lack of any commitment to get these issues resolved is no longer acceptable!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HI All,

I followed your recommendations - have the latest firmware update installed and managed to not brick the bar48.

The sound is amazing and I really dont want to return it. But the bluetooth continues to be an issue. My phone (S20) recognizes the Bar 48, however will not connect, the phone notifies  me that 'This devices needs an app to connect'. Downloaded the Play-Fi Klipsh stream app, powered up the app and put the bar48 in bluetooth pairing mode and.... nothing. Just does not pair... tried restarting the app, on/off the speaker and nothing.

The work around I found for playing music, is via Chromecast. Chromecast -> TV -> Optical out -> Bar48. Works but bluetooth will be way more convenient.

Any other things you guys recommend I try?

On 12/23/2020 at 8:49 PM, ebaqui said:

The work around I found for playing music, is via Chromecast. Chromecast -> TV -> Optical out -> Bar48. Works but bluetooth will be way more convenient.

Any other things you guys recommend I try?

Bluetooth is complicated! If you're interested, have a look at this Wikipedia Bluetooth article.

I was able to learn from Klipsch customer support that the Bar 48 uses Bluetooth version 4.1.

To play music via Bluetooth you have to be able to connect to the BAR 48. Before you can connect you have to pair your device with the BAR 48. I am aware that even after a device is paired with the BAR 48 it may not be able to connect with it.

After a year I am finally getting a warranty replacement for my BAR 48 and Surround 3 speakers. I don't know what hardware revisions may have been incorporated into the most recent models but I will check to see which, if any, of my issues have been resolved and report back.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently purchased a BAR 48- It arrived at my home on Friday and I wasted no time in setting it up and enjoying it! Its basic sound profile is great (although I wish the Sub *could* deliver a bit more boom when it's cranked up than it does), and my optical and analog connections seamlessly work on it. 

The Bluetooth is a problem, though. I have the same issue that ebaqui details above: Although my BT capable devices can see the BAR 48 and can even "pair" with it, they cannot successfully connect to it. On my Windows PC, this simply results in my computer claiming it's connected to the BAR 48 but having no capability of playing sound over BT to it, while on my Android Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE), I'm informed that I "need an app to use this device". That's how the BAR reacted to Bluetooth when I received it, and I can confirm that it is behaving the same way after I've installed the latest available firmware update (per Klipsch.com). 

This is really unfortunate and reflects poorly on Klipsch's QC process. I'm a fan of their products and love the sound profile I get out of all my Klipsch speakers, headphones, and soundbars (I upgraded to the BAR 48 from an RSB-3 soundbar that I've had for almost two years and have really enjoyed, which never had any of these BT pairing issues). It's hard to maintain enthusiasm for even a brand you've had historically great experiences with when you have multiple problems with things like this (A bit separate, but I've also had issues with my T5 True Wireless earbuds that seem to boil down to Klipsch not being able to ensure consistent quality in their manufacturing). Bluetooth may be complicated, but if the BAR 48 is truly using BT 4.1, that standard has existed for quite some time and countless consumer electronics have incorporated it without any issue.  Most devices that use BT 5.0 don't exhibit any of these issues, either, despite the more advanced standard.

Bluetooth has been a fact of life in the world of electronics for something like a decade, and it isn't unreasonable to expect a prestigious brand like Klipsch to competently incorporate it into their products. The fact that there are multiple topics open on this forum to the effect that customers aren't able to use the Bluetooth features on their premium audio products is disheartening. I'm planning on using a 3.5mm signal switch to gain some Bluetooth functionality by patching an Amazon Echo Dot into the 3.5 input along with my record player, so I should ultimately be able to achieve the functionality I want with minimal inconvenience. It's just a shame and a black mark on Klipsch that they're selling these defective units. 

I'll keep my eyes open for additional firmware updates but I'm not optimistic given how long these products have been on the market that Klipsch is really interested in addressing these problems for the relatively few of us who are experiencing them. I'd try to get the BAR 48 replaced with another, except it seems like the other customers who've tried that have ended up with similar quality issues effecting other elements of their products (such as the Wireless Sub) that work fine on my own unit. These are the types of compromises consumers shouldn't have to make when paying for premium products. 

Love the sound, but I'm thoroughly disappointed by this issue. 

2 hours ago, Superman Kenobi said:

The Bluetooth is a problem, though. I have the same issue that ebaqui details above: Although my BT capable devices can see the BAR 48 and can even "pair" with it, they cannot successfully connect to it. On my Windows PC, this simply results in my computer claiming it's connected to the BAR 48 but having no capability of playing sound over BT to it, while on my Android Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE), I'm informed that I "need an app to use this device". That's how the BAR reacted to Bluetooth when I received it, and I can confirm that it is behaving the same way after I've installed the latest available firmware update (per Klipsch.com). 

Bluetooth is complicated! The paring process simply ensures that two devices have permission to connect with each other. How they connect and what they do when they connect depend on the Bluetooth profiles each device supports.

So, if we are to determine whether two devices will connect we have to know what Bluetooth profiles each support. When I asked Klipsch customer support what profiles the BAR 48 supports I was told that they don't publish that information!

If you have searched these forums for "BAR 48" you will see the many issues customers have complained about. If you really what to keep your BAR 48 I would open a case with Klipsch customer support but you will likely be better off with a different brand.

• I bought my BAR 48 and Surround 3 speakers on Black Friday, November 2019, and immediately encountered issue.
  • I joined the Klipsch Community in December looking for advice.
  • I opened a case with Klipsch customer support in December. Since then I have reported almost a dozen issues.
  • During that time I received no feedback at all about any progress.
  • I was told that the new firmware update had resolved outstanding issues. It had not!
  • I was told that the next firmware update (V30) had resolved outstanding issues. It had not!
  • In August I was told since the firmware updates didn't resolve my issues there was likely a issue with my hardware and was offered a warranty replacement (soundbar and surrounds). I accepted.
  • Replacement units were back ordered. I waited almost five months for them to arrive just before Christmas.
  • I installed them only to learn that I have the same issues with the replacements plus a couple of new ones the originals didn't have but which other customers have reported in these forums.

I am very disappointed with this product. I still hope there is something Klipsch can do for me!

YMMV

• 2 months later...

These are still available, from Sam's and even directly from Klipsch, at $249.00 US.

I am considering buying this, but a bit hesitant based on the feedback on this forum. But really...how widespread are these problems? Certainly Klipsch has sold many (thousands?) of these, and there are only a handful of negative reports here.

Or maybe wait for the Cinema 600 to go on sale, and just get that model. Or buy a competing brand...