Why You Tube speaker reviews are so poor...........

ClaudeJ1

I like Guttenberg.  He doesn't just recommend the super expensive gear and he is somewhat entertaining to watch.  His appearance as an old hippie and shirts and attitude give him a certain charisma.  Considering that he puts out a video almost every day, he does a good job. 

I tried to watch another reviewer of some JBL's and could not make it through his video.  5 minutes of dryly describing  changes that he made to his videos.  I skipped ahead a few times then just shut him off.  I just stick to Gutenberg.  If a videoof his is boring I just skip it. 

24 minutes ago, xoundmind said:

A friend bought the RP-600Ms based on Mr. Guttenberg’s review and is very pleased. 

We now have a sample size of 2, which includes myself.  I bought my 600M's sight unseen and unheard from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters at the end of Dec 2018.  I am more than pleased with mine.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xoundmind said:

Excellent video here...

I appreciate the Audiophiliac's interviews. I especially like that he seeks out exceptional women audiophiles (redundant, I know since most women prefer Bose Sugar Cubes). The fact that those few women are quite pretty makes for a doubly rare experience. As a Wedding/Portrait photographer, Photo Magazine Tech. Editor,  and Lighting Lecturer featuring mostly women in the photos, I probably photographed over 100,000 women of all ages in my career, but mostly chased them with a camera up and down a church aisle!! LOL.

Audiophile babes totally rock!

Again, my initial comment was the lack of speaker sounds in the Gutenberg reviews. To point out that they were incomplete and boring as a result. It was never meant to insult the man himself.

6 hours ago, xoundmind said:

Excellent video here...

Well, in our first house we built a room for our Klipschorns.

While building the room, the Klipschorns held forth at the head of our bed.

When the room was complete, I took my infant daughter in there to hear Chopin.  She grew up to be marvelously musically literate, and plays several instruments.

When we moved into our next house we built a room for our Klipschorns ...

• Like 4

On 12/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, oldtimer said:

Listening over the internet from a recording of a recording regardless of how consistent the method is an exercise in futility.  

Futility is the correct word only when compared to being in the room with critical listening as the ultimate personal truth.

Relative to just words in a Video, it just adds more relevant data in audible form. I would agree with you if the topic was "which amplifier sounds better," but for speakers, that sound HUGELY DIFFERENT from each other, I think it's a great EXERCISE. When 2 speakers are compared, there's enough resolution in a high quality recording with the same gear at the same spot in the same room, at the same level, etc. delivered on You Tube, to create a DIFFERENTIAL COMPARISON that has BETTER validity than just spoken words!! You will be proven wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have posted this vid before, but it is apropos to this thread.   My perfect speaker review vid, not a word spoken.   Whether heard through headphones or through ones speakers, I think one can hear a degree of quality coming through the world wide web.  Kendrick Sound.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 1/2/2020 at 11:21 AM, Shiva said:

I have posted this vid before, but it is apropos to this thread.   My perfect speaker review vid, not a word spoken.   Whether heard through headphones or through ones speakers, I think one can hear a degree of quality coming through the world wide web.  Kendrick Sound.

I just listened to this vid on my main system ( LSII's ) and wow i'm really impressed, these things sound just like my LSII's  :)

...but they look a lot better ;)

• Haha 2

On 1/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Here's another recent video. I heard these latest speakers and met Dave Wilson's Son and wife. One of the best speaker demos I've ever heart, but for a $750,000 price tag, it better be!

Hey Claude I can build you a death ray audiobot if you wish heh heh.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Shiva said:

Thanks for posting that! Great recording!

4 minutes ago, RadBlue said:

I just listened to this vid on my main system ( LSII's ) and wow i'm really impressed, these things sound just like my LSII's  :)

I know what you mean. I was listening to this on my monitor sound bar and they sounded PERFECT.

• Haha 1

OK, so now that I've heard all the comments from the battle cry: "Smarta$$es of the World Unite" I still maintain that a good recording of a good recording played back in a listening room with locked down miking technique from a sweet spot (or even spaced omni's from a meter away from the speakers in the exact same room) will give us some AUDIBLE RELATIVE DIFFERENCES between 2 different speakers, including a clue about efficiency. Yes, I know that, typically, the louder one will sound better, but isnt' that part of the TRUTH? This could end up being the "Anithesis to the AB/X box" just for fun. Having been to the ORIGINAL demo of the AB/X box, in Michigan, about 42 years ago, I'm fully aware of the matching of levels to within 0.1 decibels of the two test ELECTRONICS, but for speakers, that's impossible, since they are never flat. You never know until your try. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 3:46 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I still maintain that a good recording of a good recording played back in a listening room with locked down miking technique from a sweet spot (or even spaced omni's from a meter away from the speakers in the exact same room) will give us some AUDIBLE RELATIVE DIFFERENCES between 2 different speakers, including a clue about efficiency.

Something weird is going on in the universe... I totally agree with Claude on this. 😜

• Like 2