Klipsch CP-1 (pro Cornwalls) good deal?

MarkKrochuck

There are a pair Klipsch CP-1 (pro Cornwalls) for sale about 90 minutes away from me for $1000 CAD ($775 USD). They are a bit banged up but function as they should. I think i can get them for $8/900 ($625-$700usd). Is this a good deal? 

Want to replace my RF5 and RF7s as I was not impressed with the bass either are putting out.

10 hours ago, MarkKrochuck said:

Want to replace my RF5 and RF7s as I was not impressed with the bass either are putting out.

Have you considered adding a subwoofer or two? I'm not sure you'll get a lot more or "better" bass response from the CP-1's but I could be wrong.

By the way these speakers (CP-1's) are some what rare and typically seller's seem to want double or more the asking price for these the few times I've ever seen them for sale FWIW good luck!

The RF7’s are spec’d at 32 hz -3db with 102 db sensitivity and the CP-1’s are 38 hz -4db with a 100 db sensitivity.

The separate midrange of the CP-1’s and corresponding MUCH lower crossover from the woofer would likely not result in the perceived bass you are craving.

They will rock, to be sure, but you are going to get a lot more midrange information than accustomed to and that will “distract” you from the bass. 

Having said that though,  if I didn’t already have a pair of Cornwalls, I would be gassing up for the 90 minute drive...

Lots of potential here

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Have you considered adding a subwoofer or two? I'm not sure you'll get a lot more or "better" bass response from the CP-1's but I could be wrong.

By the way these speakers (CP-1's) are some what rare and typically seller's seem to want double or more the asking price for these the few times I've ever seen them for sale FWIW good luck!

I have a subwoofer. I just hate having what is considered a fairly decent speaker and having to run a sub to get any amount of appreciable bass. Just seems wrong considering Ive read and watched so many reviews saying that an RF7 will shake a house or are fine without a sub.

1 hour ago, MarkKrochuck said:

Glen, I think you have it reverse. 102 should be louder.

102 would be but 102* wouldn't in this case.  The asterisk denotes "equivalent in a normal room" (or something like that).  The home and pro speakers are rated with different methodology.  Subtract ~4 dB from a "*" rating to get the equivalent value as would be used for the pro stuff.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, glens said:

102 would be but 102* wouldn't in this case.  The asterisk denotes "equivalent in a normal room" (or something like that).  The home and pro speakers are rated with different methodology.  Subtract ~4 dB from a "*" rating to get the equivalent value as would be used for the pro stuff.

Interesting, never knew that. Thanks for the information!

On 1/1/2020 at 2:53 AM, MarkKrochuck said:

There are a pair Klipsch CP-1 (pro Cornwalls) for sale about 90 minutes away from me for $1000 CAD ($775 USD). They are a bit banged up but function as they should. I think i can get them for $8/900 ($625-$700usd). Is this a good deal? 

That's a good deal, especially if you can get them for $750 or $800 CAD.  You WILL be impressed by the output of the pro line.

As Dave A said to me in conversation:      (you can always veneer these if needed...)

Pro stuff IS the best secret. Hands down no contest.  If all you are looking for is awesome sound avoid veneer”  ―  Dave A