Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

On 1/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, billybob said:

I have patience. You must have quite a bit of the same. Somewhat exciting to understand, meanwhile

curious as to result.

Not so much patient, just the time it has taken to process this small project.  I'm as excited as you to see how, and if, it works well enough to replace some of my gear. 😱

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I think those look great. Did you put an insulator between the upper and lower tweeter units?

I originally thought of putting some sort of rubber or soft material between the drivers purely to prevent damage to the wires which connect to the diaphragm.  I cut them out of some mass loaded vinyl I used for my poly project. However, they are not needed for that purpose.  Turns out the bottom of the driver surface is slightly concave and the wires are never under pressure from whatever surface is below the driver. So, I decided to keep it simple and leave out the 'insulator'. I don't think there is any electrical or mechanical issue requiring true isolation....but I certainly could be wrong. 

I am more concerned on how to seal the area where the wood 45 degree bevel meets the areas of the driver where they are indented.  I think I have a good solution for that and will mention the result when I put them together.

So what will be the lowest crossover point, at say 24db per octave crossover, would the AMT diaphragms handle without slapping or destroying themselves at louder volumes?

I am debating on purchasing a second set since the approx. 800hz crossover I have designed to mate with my dual Focal 13v7511 woofers seems to be a little high.  I would like a little more throat in the vocals.

12 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

I am more concerned on how to seal the area where the wood 45 degree bevel meets the areas of the driver where they are indented

You all sure have been busy in this thread. I've been enjoying form the sidelines. Rudy, what about something as simple as black, silicone caulk. It never really hardens and pretty easy to peel off from plastic if you ever would want to.

13 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

I am more concerned on how to seal the area where the wood 45 degree bevel meets the areas of the driver where they are indented.  I think I have a good solution for that and will mention the result when I put them together.

Is this where you mean?  Is it critical to get this as tight and seamless as possible?  More generally I imagine a test rig that allows forward and back sliding of the driver/wings on the base and "stacked" wings that fold out for 2x and 3x or more lengths.

image.png

1 hour ago, Delicious2 said:

Is this where you mean?  Is it critical to get this as tight and seamless as possible?  More generally I imagine a test rig that allows forward and back sliding of the driver/wings on the base and "stacked" wings that fold out for 2x and 3x or more lengths.

image.png

Yes, that is the location that I plan on filling with some material to keep a smooth surface. I don't think I need to hermetically seal the area, just smooth it out a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delicious2 said:

Poor drawing but you get the idea.  A test rig with a sliding base to vary that extension side and nesting wings to vary those.

1649568407_ESSAMT-1withwingstestrigidea3wings.thumb.jpg.1e611fd86faf7b1ce7200d539b922e19.jpg

Nice testing platform. Let us know your measurements. Interesting concept.

@Delicious2 I like your idea about extending the “wings” I am planning on building a test rig using the same setup as @Rudy81 to start with and get baseline measurements. The next step will be to extend the wings like you are planning. I am also considering making the initial wing on a pivot so I can experiment with the angle of the wings. Like I said previously I have plenty of sacrificial wood to use. I may try a curve as well if time allows.

Hopefully this weekend I will have the initial rig cut. I placed the wood on the table saw last night...it’s a slow process.

4 hours ago, No.4 said:

@Delicious2 I like your idea about extending the “wings” I am planning on building a test rig using the same setup as @Rudy81 to start with and get baseline measurements. The next step will be to extend the wings like you are planning. I am also considering making the initial wing on a pivot so I can experiment with the angle of the wings. Like I said previously I have plenty of sacrificial wood to use. I may try a curve as well if time allows.

Hopefully this weekend I will have the initial rig cut. I placed the wood on the table saw last night...it’s a slow process.

Isn't it great how sharing ideas sparks our interest and creative energy.  I may start to build a test rig this weekend too or at least get some measurements for how it could come together.  Let's keep supporting each other in this.  Placing the wood on the table saw is a step in the right direction 😺 and a curve, well, waayy cool!

1 minute ago, Delicious2 said:

Isn't it great how sharing ideas sparks our interest and creative energy.  I may start to build a test rig this weekend too or at least get some measurements for how it could come together.  Let's keep supporting each other in this.  Placing the wood on the table saw is a step in the right direction 😺 and a curve, well, waayy cool!

Think you all can make it happen. Blows me away, yes way cool.

Time with energy equals progress following creativity, someone said.

Enjoy!

I was able to cut and glue some wing pieces today. They are not beautiful, but they should be fine for experimenting. I cut these to the same 7 1/4” width that Rudy81 used. This should give me a baseline to expand (or not) upon. 

I have a spare receiver I can use with my lap top to get some measurements with REW. @Chris A what is the ideal environment to take these measurements? Should I do them out in the room away from any boundaries, or would it be best to measure in room, in the corner, due to the dipole nature of these driver?

if I can work out the details of how best to measure this setup, I should be able to start expanding on the wings etc. pretty quickly.

good times!

F9D30FF2-80B8-4AB4-847E-E5A3897BA88E.jpeg

I would put the AMT-1 assembly and bass bin where you expect to place them when listening to them, then place a lot of absorbing material around the full path from the loudspeaker and the microphone, as thick as you can make it and 3 feet wide.

Chris

2 hours ago, No.4 said:

if I can work out the details of how best to measure this setup, I should be able to start expanding on the wings etc. pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

I would put the AMT-1 assembly and bass bin where you expect to place them when listening to them, then place a lot of absorbing material around the full path from the loudspeaker and the microphone, as thick as you can make it and 3 feet wide.

Chris

And then share your results so I can copy them as a starting point. I'll be mating mine to la scala bass bins as well. :)

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

And then share your results so I can copy them as a starting point. I'll be mating mine to la scala bass bins as well. :)

Did you already get yours in?  Did you order a mini dsp HD?  My order should be in this week for the drivers.  

It’s unclear to me.  Are the units available from Amazon and/or Simply Speakers for ~$177 new units made by Heil AMT, NOS,or something else?  I thought Heil AMT was out of business.  Are the $177 units worthy of experimentation and use?

Fortunately, I live close to Claude @ClaudeJ1 so I can hear these in person, although the last thing I need is to hear something that makes me unhappy with my current “last speakers.”  

Claude, How would/could these be incorporated into a MEH?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Did you already get yours in?  Did you order a mini dsp HD?  My order should be in this week for the drivers.  

Not yet - I got an automatic "your order confirmed" email just over a week ago, and no news since. Not going with the minidsp.. Going to be using a Yamaha sp2060 instead.