Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

On 2/18/2020 at 8:51 AM, Rudy81 said:

Keep us posted on what you hear, please. I am very interested in your impressions regarding soundstage and depth as compared to whatever you had previously.

Probably won't have much to say about soundstage and depth given this mono setup or is that a misconception on my part that soundstage and depth are mostly qualities inherent to stereo playback?

Not much time to listen to this last week.  I set the bare AMT-1 stack to burning in using some moderately loud pink noise for 12 hours at a stretch while I was away at work, so, over 3 days maybe 30 hours of pink noise.

Just running Chris' settings for the Belle bass/AMT-1 at the moment so I must break out the UMIK-1 and REW to even begin to dial it in.  Just on the gross level of balance between the Khorn bass bin and the stack I am once again amazed at how much increased bass tames the perceived brightness and how much decreased bass emphasizes it.  A small twist of the Nobsound bass amp volume knob radically changes the character of this blend. Our hearing is incredibly relative!

This thread has been quiet for almost a week, so I will throw in my two cents. I have been working on a set of 12” wings for this project and have made some decent progress. I have one setup complete enough to begin testing soon. I took a slightly different design approach to the wings. My goal was to match the esthetic of the La Scala bass bin. Whether or not I have achieved this visually and more importantly sonically remains to be seen. I worked with plywood for these wings, which I generally don’t do for assemblies like this, so that was new. Overall I think the ply is a good material, but it did not like some of the extreme angles I was cutting. This is not surprising, and any issues would be covered by veneer in the final product. I also built a glueing jig to aid in assembly, and to promote uniformity/repeatability between the assemblies. Of course the first waveguide half I glued came out slightly out of level. The jig worked very well once my base panel was properly leveled/flattened. I probably need to make some more adjustments to the jig to get it just right. I may try a different core ply too, just to see if it likes the angles a little better.

If all goes well I hope to be testing this assembly in room this next week. I will be using my current tube amp to power the heils and a spare receiver to power the bass bins. The receiver on the bass bins is not ideal, but it is all I have right now. I would like to find a good inexpensive amp for the bass bins. I would really like to build an amp for the bass bins, but that will have to wait as I am backed up on projects right now. Somehow this one made its way to the top.

00E91942-C6E3-49AF-B199-23DA80514EA4.jpeg

5B53A664-61A9-4891-B1E2-F5936C697F14.jpeg

EBB9A0E3-2CF3-423B-9CAF-F994AC557C3C.jpeg

68E1056C-9DDB-4C7C-9ED7-8FA28E0B0A70.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

That is still a decent price for what they do.  I have heard they were in the $400 category some years ago. 

Yeah, it’s not bad. I Just should not have waited. I did however just order an Emotiva A-150 to power the bass bins. I had a $30 coupon for signing up for text alerts. So that makes me feel a little better 😎

2 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

That is still a decent price for what they do.  I have heard they were in the $400 category some years ago. 

Yep, and this is why I paid $200 each plus shipping on Ebay for my used ones. $170 is still a bargain.

I am really looking forward to doing some listening. I am not that far away once all the rest of my components arrive. If this is even just as good as my current setup it will be a win. I have about the same amount of money in four heils, a mini DSP and a new amp as I do in just my current passive networks. Not to mention the mid horns, mid horn drivers, tweeters etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally finished building the core of my wing set up. I have everything in place in my room, all amps wired, Umik and MiniDSP connected to the laptop etc. I have set the input and output parameters on the MiniDSP hd and a basic 400hz crossover point. I am hoping to be able to get some measurements going maybe tonight. It is surprisingly difficult to find the time right now for hobbies even with all outside activities cancelled. I have been busy trying to preserve the sanity of my family as cabin fever sets in! 

I do need to read back thorough this thread a little and double check some details. I’m hoping to hear music soon though and get the heils broken in.

6 hours ago, No.4 said:

I have finally finished building the core of my wing set up. I have everything in place in my room, all amps wired, Umik and MiniDSP connected to the laptop etc. I have set the input and output parameters on the MiniDSP hd and a basic 400hz crossover point. I am hoping to be able to get some measurements going maybe tonight. It is surprisingly difficult to find the time right now for hobbies even with all outside activities cancelled. I have been busy trying to preserve the sanity of my family as cabin fever sets in! 

I do need to read back thorough this thread a little and double check some details. I’m hoping to hear music soon though and get the heils broken in.

NIce! I found 500hz to be a good crossover point before I went forward with Chris' method of full range passthrough + PEQ's.