Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

I've never tried that, but I guess it will work.  The issue I see is that you're leaving the preamp out of the loop (if you're using a preamp).   I usually like to get the entire signal chain in the loop to verify the overall response.  YMMV.

Chris

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I've never tried that, but I guess it will work.  The issue I see is that you're leaving the preamp out of the loop (if you're using a preamp).   I usually like to get the entire signal chain in the loop to verify the overall response.  YMMV.

Chris

Ok, I will run it that way. That is actually how I had it set up originally like I would when taking other measurements. I will try that.

56 minutes ago, Randyh said:

My (dead) diaphragm took some pushing from the opposite side to slide it far enough in order to grasp it on the edges to remove, so I suppose the issue is that the recent diaphragms are a bit oversized for the size of slot that they go into.  That would be an issue, since those diaphragms are pretty fragile relative to voice coils, etc. (but not nearly as fragile as true ribbon tweeter diaphragms, which are like rice paper in thickness). 

Chris

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No.4 said:

My computer is picking up the MiniDSP 2x4 as the output. It may be the settings in the MiniDSP software. The instructions are just ok. I’m sure I am missing something simple. Usually the case. Just super frustrating!

Here's a look at the MiniDSP software settings that give output from my laptop usb connection.  Note on the input tab that "usb" is selected and in addition to showinig "connected" that it's  not "muted".  It has an unconventional mute switch.  Both have an "x" but the muted state is red.

MiniDSP HD settings from PC.JPG

I got some output and made a quick adjustment to get the levels of my bass bin to match my heils. I will take some better ones later today without the dishwasher running and the dog barking. 

getting a little closer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Randyh said:

hi Chris , can you post a picture of the Dead diaphragm, and show us the area where No.4  is showing us he has slight deformation of the material of the diaphragm

I'd have to take it all apart again, something that I'm a bit reticent to do presently. 

I was trying to locate the source of the open circuit, but didn't see anything using a VOM and probing carefully.  The edges of the diaphragm are very irregular and filled somewhat haphazardly with clear silicone that was drizzled over the edges of the unit to glue down an aluminum tape that surrounds the unit on the edges.  I'm actually amazed that it worked at all since the fit was pretty tight and the connecting wire leads so vulnerable.  I'd recommend going to a separate terminal mounting strip for the leads on or near the base of the magnet assembly in order to preclude the possibility of yanking one or both of the small leads, sort of like this (without the foam insert on the reverse side):

Capture.thumb.JPG.ee4dfb22596ab6a9b58cbda4595bb4fc.JPG

• Like 1

Folks--

It's been a while since I've visited the forum, and even longer since I've posted. This thread is quite spectacular. Regarding the idea of a curved flare for the side walls, I think there may be an easier idea from a woodworking standpoint.

In the 1970's the professional sound reinforcement folks started to veer away from mathematically-defined horn flares (e.g., exponential, hypex, tractrix) to horn flares that strove for consistency of the coverage pattern vs. frequency. The earliest of these was the Electro-Voice HR horns, closely followed by the Altec Manta Ray horns. Don Keele was the brainchild behind the HR horns. Cliff Henriksen and Mark Ureda did the Manta Ray work. These "constant coverage" horns had flat surfaces composing the horns flares. The HR horns had radiused transitions between the flat surfaces and the Manta Ray horns had sharp transitions between the flat surfaces. It seems that many followers of the constant coverage trend followed the sharp transitions with no apparent problems. Many years ago I built a spreadsheet for designing horns following the ideas set forth by Keele, Henricksen and Ureda. I offer it here for those folks with more woodworking capabilities than me. There is also a sketch illustrating the dimensions with which the spreadsheet deals. Note that all three designs in the spreadsheet are essentially the same. We get to pick any two of: Design Beamwidth; Mouth Dimension; Mouth Frequency (F-Mouth). Given the AMT-1 design, the Design Beamwidth will be fixed at 90 degrees.

Later on, Don Keele went to JBL and developed a set of curved wall constant coverage horns. The patent describes the math behind them, but does not provide a few critical numbers that would allow us to calculate the curves.

MantaRayHorn_KlipschForum.xls MantaRayHornSketch.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

B stock  being sold as A stock  ?

I seriously doubt it from my discussions with Ricky.  In all fairness, I damaged my diaphragm by being an idiot, totally on me.  Ricky was nice enough to send me a replacement when I called to find out if it was possible to re-solder the lead.  He has always struck me as an honest guy working hard on making ESS a go.  Who knows what problems he is facing etc.  I know, it is frustrating. I get the impression he has minimum staffing and works his butt off. 

Regardless of whether I get the diaphragm or not, I will give him the benefit of patience.  I have spoken with him many times and never got the impression that he is anything other than a standup guy. Funny, the older I get, the more mellow I become. 

I have noticed that installing the diaphragm if not done carefully can fold the foil corner.  The one I damaged was like that when I removed it.  That did not seem to affect performance or create any distortion.  Unless you really MUST take the diaphragm out, I really, really, really advise against it. As a general rule, nothing good comes from messing with it.  Just my 2C.

10 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I seriously doubt it from my discussions with Ricky.  In all fairness, I damaged my diaphragm by being an idiot, totally on me.  Ricky was nice enough to send me a replacement when I called to find out if it was possible to re-solder the lead.  He has always struck me as an honest guy working hard on making ESS a go.  Who knows what problems he is facing etc.  I know, it is frustrating. I get the impression he has minimum staffing and works his butt off. 

I agree, Ricky has been very helpful in the past. I am glad he has stuck it out with ESS to keep it going. 

54 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I'd have to take it all apart again, something that I'm a but reticent to do presently. 

I was trying to locate the source of the open circuit, but didn't see anything using a VOM and probing carefully.  The edges of the diaphragm are very irregular and filled somewhat haphazardly with clear silicone that was drizzled over the edges of the unit to glue down an aluminum tape that surrounds the unit on the edges.  I'm actually amazed that it worked at all since the fit was pretty tight and the connecting wire leads so vulnerable.  I'd recommend going to a separate terminal mounting strip for the leads on or near the base of the magnet assembly in order to preclude the possibility of yanking one or both of the small leads, sort of like this (without the foam insert on the reverse side):

Capture.thumb.JPG.ee4dfb22596ab6a9b58cbda4595bb4fc.JPG

That's essentially what I've done here. the tricky bit is the top driver. I'm not thrilled with the wire extension, but my only alternative is a second barrier strip mounted up along the wing path.

74959739-9588-406D-944C-CAAB6697995E.jpeg.5696955cc3a78273a0d3def9f193f5bc.jpeg