Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

5 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

I'll work on this when I feel better.

???  Something you picked up?  If so, I hope everything's okay.

Chris

I should have posted this morning about yesterdays activities with the double stack/wing setup, but it was nice here today so I decided to fire up the  mower. Since my schedule has been cleared I decided to trim, pick some weeds, rake some leaves and plug aerate as well. Why not. I listened Friday night to my basic no correction crossover at 400hz and reported that is was very promising. (I originally posted that it was 500hz, I changed it to 400hz along the way and never changed to the title. I will go back and edit that post). Fast forward to yesterday morning. I received a PM from @Chris A asking if I would like a hand optimizing the MiniDSP. After a few emails back and forth over the course of the day Chris was able to crank out an awesome DSP file. I am so grateful to Chris for his help. It would have taken me months of trial and error to get even slightly close to what he created yesterday. Chris is a wealth of knowledge we are lucky to be able to tap on this forum. I was really considering going to the SWAG event just to be able to pick his brain in real time. I pick things up better in a hands on environment.

Below is the original SPL graph of the 400hz no correction crossover.

498828889_LascalaHeil400hzraw.jpg.f0328700f06f3aad930f32c4e4fd9b0f.jpg

Below is the comparison between the first raw measurement and Chris's work. Just awesome!

1679094880_LascalaHeil400hzCA5.jpg.d951f87a6420405619e159fa48156a3f.jpg

I need to do much more listening, but each improvement Chris made to the crossover file made huge improvements to the sound in my room. It is really interesting as he changed the PEQ's and delay etc. the imaging, clarity and balance continued to improve. I am really blown away at how great this setup sounds. If anyone is on the fence about trying this, just jump, it is so worth it. Now I need to take these apart at some point and veneer them to match the bass cabs, probably wont be any time soon. I will reply later with some of the usual audiophile language, but for now I am just going to listen.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Sorry for the tangent @No.4. Whose sound panels are those? Or DIY? Look very nice. Again sorry for the thread crap.

No crap, the big panels are roxul and the small ones are roxul and ultratouch denim. They are DIY. However, that is another project @Chris A helped me with. I owe the great sound in my room largely in part to Chris. I really cant thank Chris enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

???  Something you picked up?  If so, I hope everything's okay.

Chris

Thank you sir.  I don't recall ever being this sick.  Waiting for test results.  I was in two hot spots this very month.  I guess they got me.  We shall see.  Lord willing I will be just dandy and back at it soon.  As long as my lungs stay clear I am counting my blessings. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, No.4 said:

I should have posted this morning about yesterdays activities with the double stack/wing setup, but it was nice here today so I decided to fire up the  mower. Since my schedule has been cleared I decided to trim, pick some weeds, rake some leaves and plug aerate as well. Why not. I listened Friday night to my basic no correction crossover at 400hz and reported that is was very promising. (I originally posted that it was 500hz, I changed it to 400hz along the way and never changed to the title. I will go back and edit that post). Fast forward to yesterday morning. I received a PM from @Chris A asking if I would like a hand optimizing the MiniDSP. After a few emails back and forth over the course of the day Chris was able to crank out an awesome DSP file. I am so grateful to Chris for his help. It would have taken me months of trial and error to get even slightly close to what he created yesterday. Chris is a wealth of knowledge we are lucky to be able to tap on this forum. I was really considering going to the SWAG event just to be able to pick his brain in real time. I pick things up better in a hands on environment.

Below is the comparison between the first raw measurement and Chris's work. Just awesome!

I need to do much more listening, but each improvement Chris made to the crossover file made huge improvements to the sound in my room. It is really interesting as he changed the PEQ's and delay etc. the imaging, clarity and balance continued to improve. I am really blown away at how great this setup sounds. If anyone is on the fence about trying this, just jump, it is so worth it. Now I need to take these apart at some point and veneer them to match the bass cabs, probably wont be any time soon. I will reply later with some of the usual audiophile language, but for now I am just going to listen.

No crap, the big panels are roxul and the small ones are roxul and ultratouch denim. They are DIY. However, that is another project @Chris A helped me with. I owe the great sound in my room largely in part to Chris. I really cant thank Chris enough.

Yep, Chris knows his stuff and I too am extremely grateful for his unending help with my setup.  I am glad to hear you have it nearly dialed in.  The sound is just breathtaking!  I am really glad you guys are having the same experience I did.  Otherwise, I'd feel pretty foolish!

20 minutes ago, No.4 said:

My experience as well. I still want to sit down and walk through the process so I can make future adjustments and achieve the same level of balance without his intervention. You guys are all getting old and this system will be in my space for quite a few years. It's certainly more fiddly than a passive system...

19 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Thank you sir.  I don't recall ever being this sick.  Waiting for test results.  I was in two hot spots this very month.  I guess they got me.  We shall see.  Lord willing I will be just dandy and back at it soon.  As long as my lungs stay clear I am counting my blessings. 

This really put me in a funk yesterday and today. It's been such an abstract event and relatively minor inconvenience in my sphere of experience, but it's really starting to hit close now. You've got our full support, even if only through prayer and messages of support. Hoping you get through this with minimal long-term effects bud.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

This really put me in a funk yesterday and today. It's been such an abstract event and relatively minor inconvenience in my sphere of experience, but it's really starting to hit close now. You've got our full support, even if only through prayer and messages of support. Hoping you get through this with minimal long-term effects bud.

Michael, thank you!  For all the doubters, this is very real.  PLEASE take care of yourselves and your families.  Follow all the protocols to prevent infection. I cannot confirm I have it, but whatever I have I don't wish it upon my worst enemy.  Fortunately, I am pretty healthy, eat well and don't have any underlying conditions.  Keep tabs on your family's temperature.  Keep Tylenol on hand for fever control and get yourself a pulse-ox monitor (little finger tester they use at doc office) in case anyone gets infected.  That is how you will monitor your loved ones. If you can find a forehead thermometer, get one. 

I take all the prayers I can get.  I have an army of wonderful people pulling for me.  All our neighbors and friends have been just amazing. I am so proud to be an American and see 'We The People" rise to the occasion.  I'm hopeful I'll recover soon. As I told a friend, regardless of what happens....I WIN!

Sorry to get off topic, and now....back to our regularly scheduled program.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Michael, thank you!  For all the doubters, this is very real.  PLEASE take care of yourselves and your families.  Follow all the protocols to prevent infection. I cannot confirm I have it, but whatever I have I don't wish it upon my worst enemy.  Fortunately, I am pretty healthy, eat well and don't have any underlying conditions.  Keep tabs on your family's temperature.  Keep Tylenol on hand for fever control and get yourself a pulse-ox monitor (little finger tester they use at doc office) in case anyone gets infected.  That is how you will monitor your loved ones. If you can find a forehead thermometer, get one. 

I take all the prayers I can get.  I have an army of wonderful people pulling for me.  All our neighbors and friends have been just amazing. I am so proud to be an American and see 'We The People" rise to the occasion.  I'm hopeful I'll recover soon. As I told a friend, regardless of what happens....I WIN!

Get well soon, I know all of us here wish you a fast and speedy recovery our thoughts are with you and your family 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

take all the prayers I can get.  I have an army of wonderful people pulling for me.  All our neighbors and friends have been just amazing. I am so proud to be an American and see 'We The People" rise to the occasion.  I'm hopeful I'll recover soon. As I told a friend, regardless of what happens....I WIN!

Get well soon!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Yep, Chris knows his stuff and I too am extremely grateful for his unending help with my setup.  I am glad to hear you have it nearly dialed in.  The sound is just breathtaking!  I am really glad you guys are having the same experience I did.  Otherwise, I'd feel pretty foolish!

I am still going to experiment with placement of the wings. I would like to try them pulled all the way to the front of the bass bin, but I will have to figure out a way to keep the entire set up from falling off the front.

Please keep us posted on your condition. We are living in truly terrifying times. We will get through this though, and move on, and so will you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

You get off topic, given your situation, all you want.  I'm very sorry to hear this news and hope you get to felling better soon.  What's the turnaround on the test?  

• Like 3

South Korea and Europe. Definitely two hot spots.  No clue on how I got it.  I have been super careful, but that didn't seem to help.  Just going through customs you have to touch a lot of stuff.  At this point though everyone MUST be super careful now that it is spreading in the US.  I'm very healthy and it has totally kicked my a$$. I can't imagine having other issues and then getting this.  At the first sign of a fever, call your doc!

• Like 2