Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

Note that the single AMT-1s work well on top of the Belle bass bins as my surrounds, so I've got little to complain about in my main setup. 

Having a double-high array of winged AMT-1s actually makes them more directional in the vertical axis at higher frequencies (about an octave lower where the vertical directivity begins to show up on the directivity index plots), but the doubled height of the stacks doubles the effective on-axis listening window band height in-room, and if you're almost on-axis already, it will increase the direct/indirect ratio of coverage--just like a long line array used in planar dipole radiators, but without the restriction on toe-in that the planar dipoles experience. The wings bring directivity down to 400-500 Hz and that also helps the subjective sound of the stack to sound much more like "really good" Klipsch Heritage loudspeakers which control their directivity down to at least 400-600 Hz, which I've found to be a very big deal in room with the subconscious effects of the sound in-room.

Chris

I have really been enjoying this set up all week. I am not sure if the difference I heard standing is due to the back wave interacting with the front of the waveguide. There is a difference standing and sitting, but it does not eclipse the experience at the listening position. The AMTs do many things very, very well, and mine are still breaking in. Big thanks to everyone involved in this project! @Rudy81 @Chris A @Thaddeus Smith 

I have some finishing material in route (hopefully) to finish off the waveguides. They are keepers!

I would like to build on my above comments and talk about the imaging of this configuration. The more “critical” listening I do, the more soundstage really shines. My previous horn setup had very good left to right imaging. The soundstage had a little depth front to back but it was rather limited. The AMT and waveguides however, have excellent depth, left to right and floor to ceiling presentation. A good recording appears to be very three dimensional. This offers a much better live feel to the music. I did a little experimenting with the position of the AMTs in relation to the front edge of the bass bin to see or hear if it had any effect on the soundstage. Surprisingly I did not think there was a huge benefit in my room to have the AMTs all the way to the front edge. This  was somewhat of a relief because now I would not have to have the waveguides hanging off the front edge. Positioning the AMTs closer to the middle of the cab I was getting great instrument placement much closer to the floor on some recordings that I never experienced with my previous horns. The depth is very welcoming on most recordings, I was listening to a Mozart recording I enjoy and it was definitely benefiting from the improved depth. With the lights off and the volume up you could trick yourself into thinking you were in the audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

I would like to build on my above comments and talk about the imaging of this configuration. The more “critical” listening I do, the more soundstage really shines. My previous horn setup had very good left to right imaging. The soundstage had a little depth front to back but it was rather limited. The AMT and waveguides however, have excellent depth, left to right and floor to ceiling presentation. A good recording appears to be very three dimensional. This offers a much better live feel to the music. I did a little experimenting with the position of the AMTs in relation to the front edge of the bass bin to see or hear if it had any effect on the soundstage. Surprisingly I did not think there was a huge benefit in my room to have the AMTs all the way to the front edge. This  was somewhat of a relief because now I would not have to have the waveguides hanging off the front edge. Positioning the AMTs closer to the middle of the cab I was getting great instrument placement much closer to the floor on some recordings that I never experienced with my previous horns. The depth is very welcoming on most recordings, I was listening to a Mozart recording I enjoy and it was definitely benefiting from the improved depth. With the lights off and the volume up you could trick yourself into thinking you were in the audience.

Yep, exactly this! It's hard (for me at least) to adequately describe. I wasn't prepared for it when I first heard these in Rudy's space and I still find myself surprised with the imaging in my own setup. I'm definitely having to adjust my brain to the new "normal."

I finally found the energy to install the new diaphragm that Ricky sent me.  This unit was way easier to fit into the magnet structure and only took a few minutes to install.  I did find that one of the plastic screens was 'free' on one end of the diaphragm frame.

I installed the diaphragm and so far, so good.  It's up there breaking in with music as I type.  Once broken in I plan on placing it back in the center channel position.  Will need to do a sweep or two to ensure polarity is correct.  Just listening to the new diaphragm, it sounds just fine.  If anything changes, I'll update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rudy81 said:

I finally found the energy to install the new diaphragm that Ricky sent me.  This unit was way easier to fit into the magnet structure and only took a few minutes to install.  I did find that one of the plastic screens was 'free' on one end of the diaphragm frame.

I installed the diaphragm and so far, so good.  It's up there breaking in with music as I type.  Once broken in I plan on placing it back in the center channel position.  Will need to do a sweep or two to ensure polarity is correct.  Just listening to the new diaphragm, it sounds just fine.  If anything changes, I'll update.

Are you referring to the little mesh that sits between the diaphragm and the plastic housing? I have one where that material appears to be loose and slightly bunched up, and vibrates at higher volumes. I've tried to flatten it out, with no great success just yet.

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Are you referring to the little mesh that sits between the diaphragm and the plastic housing? I have one where that material appears to be loose and slightly bunched up, and vibrates at higher volumes. I've tried to flatten it out, with no great success just yet.

The mesh I am referring to is white in color and has a diamond pattern to it. It sits on top of the pleats. 

Although risky, you can remove the diaphragm and use something like super glue to re-attach to the black FRAME of the diaphragm.  If you do this, use just enough glue to make the 'weld'.  I have found while playing with the damaged diaphragm, that super glue deforms or melts the pleated material.  You have been warned. 

Are you sure that it is the mesh that is vibrating at higher volumes?  I would exhaust ALL options before removing the diaphragm.  Better yet, call Ricky and explain your issue.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Yep, exactly this! It's hard (for me at least) to adequately describe. I wasn't prepared for it when I first heard these in Rudy's space and I still find myself surprised with the imaging in my own setup. I'm definitely having to adjust my brain to the new "normal."

As I have read this and similar threads since the beginning, I'm glad to see you all are experiencing the same thing I got to hear when I refurbished a pair of AMT 1a's with new diaphragms , woofers, and passive radiators, about 7 years ago (before I created Super Heresys).

The 3D presentation of THAT whole speaker is even more revealing since it's a lightweight passive that adds rear radiating MIDRANGE to the mids, as well as the treble from the AMT Tweeter. Plus that box goes down to about 25 Hz. without a sub.

It's one of the best 2-ways I've ever owned, tied coming in second place only to my Carver Amazing Platinums for DEPTH of IMAGING and LOW, low bass (18 Hz). The majority of my speakers are still, primarily Klipsch, with various other horns present, but Dipoles/Open baffles have a certain MAGIC that is undeniable in the right room, with the right placement, and the right sweet spot!! I have liked them all! But, again, I'm not surprised you are having the same experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudy81 said:

Are you sure that it is the mesh that is vibrating at higher volumes?  I would exhaust ALL options before removing the diaphragm.  Better yet, call Ricky and explain your issue.

We're talking about the same material. No, I'm not certain this is what's causing the problem, but it's only one driver and that's the only visible difference without dismantling. It's touching both the diaphragm and the pack plastic enclosure, though, so it seems logical that it's vibrating when volume gets up there. I'm hesitant to tear things apart, for sure.

So, maybe a silly question.... I only seem to be able to replicate the problem with piano music, and I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe distortion or vibration in the recording(s) themselves? Are there inherent resonances in piano, or the recording thereof, which might be replicated through the speakers making it seem like I've got a buzzy driver? I can't seem to replicate it, or otherwise notice it with other types of music at the moment.

I'm listening to a track right now - Look Inside Yourself by Edvard Kravchuk - and there's a constant creaking noise, which I'm betting is pedal noise.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So, maybe a silly question.... I only seem to be able to replicate the problem with piano music, and I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe distortion or vibration in the recording(s) themselves? Are there inherent resonances in piano, or the recording thereof, which might be replicated through the speakers making it seem like I've got a buzzy driver? I can't seem to replicate it, or otherwise notice it with other types of music at the moment.

I'm listening to a track right now - Look Inside Yourself by Edvard Kravchuk - and there's a constant creaking noise, which I'm betting is pedal noise.

Outside my area of expertise, but if the problem only exists with one recording, at a predictable spot, you are well on your way to discovering the problem.

Often you can hear the pedals if it is a solo piano recording. It would partly depend on where they placed the microphones.  You could hear Glenn Gould humming along on some of his recordings.

First world problems for sure: is my speaker buzzing as a result of certain instruments /frequencies, or is my speaker faithfully reproducing a buzzing or resonance or mic distortion as it was recorded? I think it's isolated to specific recording(s) or type of music at this point. I first noticed on a Charlie Haden and Keith Jarret duet album, then again on the aforementioned track above. I want to say I remember such a thing happening on my previous setup, but my auditory memory is hazy.