Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

16 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I received a UPS tracking number from ESS about an hour and a half ago, too. 

Chris

Sounds like they may have changed their policy based on the amount of orders they are getting.  Now to work out the Klipsch forum discount and dedicated technical assistance rep.  @Rudy81, get on that, as you seemed to put this train on the tracks.  

8 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Sounds like they may have changed their policy based on the amount of orders they are getting.  Now to work out the Klipsch forum discount and dedicated technical assistance rep.  @Rudy81, get on that, as you seemed to put this train on the tracks.  

The brains behind all this is @Chris A. It was our discussion on group delay using REW that led me to discover the Heil.  I had never even heard of it.  I was floored when Chris told me it was technology that has been around since the 1970's. I continue to really enjoy my listening sessions.  I'm still floored by the sound and ambience it creates. I'm sure some will eventually disagree, but for me, these are still great drivers.  

Now that we have looked at wing length and stack positioning, my next project is to build an X shaped set of waveguides.  That is, identical wings both front and back.  Chris indicated that the back wave would benefit from a more symmetrical design for the dipole driver.  Hopefully others will come up with even better ideas.

Again, as Chris mentioned, please give the drivers a little break in time before jumping into high SPL tests.  I do know the drivers 'change' after break in, and don't know if they could be damaged by high SPL when new....but better safe than sorry. Those diaphragms, although easy to change, are expensive.

4 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Now that we have looked at wing length and stack positioning, my next project is to build an X shaped set of waveguides.  That is, identical wings both front and back

I'll be interested in this one. I may also have to look at stuffing the rear with a sock since I'll have mine fairly close to room boundaries and not the luxury of bringing them out several feet.

I don't know how much it will depress the roll-off frequency.  It may be that a triple stack will generate enough vertical coverage (about 18 inches high) to effectively offset the very narrow vertical polar coverage angle (less than 15 degrees at higher frequencies) and further depress the low frequency cutoff, but I would also guess that the wings will need to extend on both the front and rear sides of the stack in order to load the ribbon diaphragms on both sides in order to see the full benefit of the horn/self loading via stacking. 

Chris

17 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

Sorry I haven't been able to contribute here as planned.  My mom died yesterday at age 88 after a long decline into Parkinson's disease.  I'm grieving her with my family.

Sorry for your loss Mark.  

22 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

Sorry I haven't been able to contribute here as planned.  My mom died yesterday at age 88 after a long decline into Parkinson's disease.  I'm grieving her with my family.

Also sorry to hear...may your family find comfort in her

memories.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:36 PM, Rudy81 said:

I had never even heard of it.  I was floored when Chris told me it was technology that has been around since the 1970's. I continue to really enjoy my listening sessions.  I'm still floored by the sound and ambience it creates. I'm sure some will eventually disagree, but for me, these are still great drivers.  

When I lived in Indianapolis (almost 2 years), I found a broken pair of AMT 1A's on Ebay that happened to be about a mile from my house. Got them a a steal deal price, and put new woofers, passives, and diaphragms in the tweeters. In my untreated basement, I was floored by the low bass and incredible detail and 3 dimensionality of those speakers, which I still have. This is about 7 years ago, in 2013. Crisp and clean, be the words I would use. You don't even need subs with those.

I'm glad to see you guys are discovering this great driver and using them Wisely!!

On 1/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, Chris A said:

I don't know how much it will depress the roll-off frequency.  It may be that a triple stack will generate enough vertical coverage (about 18 inches high) to effectively offset the very narrow vertical polar coverage angle (less than 15 degrees at higher frequencies) and further depress the low frequency cutoff, but I would also guess that the wings will need to extend on both the front and rear sides of the stack in order to load the ribbon diaphragms on both sides in order to see the full benefit of the horn/self loading via stacking. 

Chris

This "X" configuration is something I've had on my mind for years, and why I got an extra 4 used ones of these things, back when they were $400 EACH!! You guys have it made with this low price which is lower than what I paid for used ones.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, Ivanhoe56 said:

Would triple stacking ( 3 pairs of ESS AMT ) with wings yield  any additional benefits over double stacking , like extending the 450-500 Hz low frequency cut off ? 

My measurements, from many moons ago in Indy, suggests that you can only do it with ACTIVE PEQ along with the "wings." Trying to get to 400 Hz, passively with wings, is an exercise in futility, IMHO. But it has been a while, so I'm going by memory since my measurements are gone.

The reason you can get away with a lower frequency boost, actively, is that each "tweeter" has 21 square inches of radiating surface.

Mark, I'm truly sorry.  I think that it's good to celebrate her life; it can help to put your own into better perspective. 

Chris

Word to the wise....be VERY, VERY careful when working with the AMT wiring!

I just learned an expensive lesson, all self inflicted.  I am working a new prototype and was using one of my AMTs to take measurements and setup the new prototype.  After my initial measurements, I re-assembled the stack and set it aside.  Later, I needed the AMT again for setting up my lumber pieces and I FORGOT that I had re-assembled the stack and attached the wires to the power strip.  I pulled the AMT and one of the wires ripped out of the diaphragm.

I called ESS and I now realize it is impossible to solder or FIX what I did.  What a bummer.

I just put in another order for a backup pair since I just trashed one.  Painful!

• Sad 3