Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Chris A

Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Where’s a parts list and cut/build list for these


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

There is no such thing. This is a total DIY project and size/shape depends on your needs and desires. I recommend you grab a big cup of coffee and start at the beginning.  By the time you get back here, you will know all we know about the builds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my issue(s) are recording related. I've been listening to various symphonies this evening at lively volumes without issue. So it's either poor recordings or some sort of recorded resonance on the piano albums where I was hearing things. So, good? These are nice resolving speakers..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think my issue(s) are recording related. I've been listening to various symphonies this evening at lively volumes without issue. So it's either poor recordings or some sort of recorded resonance on the piano albums where I was hearing things. So, good? These are nice resolving speakers..

 

Michael, see the PM I sent you yesterday re: the recording you mentioned. It is definitely the recording.  I too hear the issues you speak of on my system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

 

Michael, see the PM I sent you yesterday re: the recording you mentioned. It is definitely the recording.  I too hear the issues you speak of on my system.

 

Oh si, si. It was that pm which prompted me to seek out similar music, albeit better recordings. Read it, but forgot to reply. Thanks bud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to add a definite improvement in my system, due to the discussion on page 11 (of this thread) regarding minimizing the distance between the AMT stack and the bass drivers.  In its original setup, the center to center distance between my AMT stack and the 15" drivers was 28". If I flipped my bass bins, the distance is reduced to 17". 

 

Since I was just hanging around the house, I did a simple experiment.  Changed nothing at all in the active xover.  Set up my mic at the LP and took a full range sweep. 

 

I then flipped the bass bin and ran an identical sweep.  I will attach the curves below.  Obviously, getting the driver sets closer to each other improves the perceived performance at and around the xover point.  IIRC my Xover is right around 1kHz. 

 

As a result of that little experiment, I took the time to reset my spikes and flip all three bass bins.  So far, the system sounds excellent.  I actually needed to EQ the LF bins less than I previously did.  I think this is going to be a winning strategy to get the most out of my 2-way system. As an aside, the timing delay for the AMT stack was reduced from 1.05ms to 0.49ms.

 

 

InvertedLF Bins.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No.4 said:

@Rudy81 glad to see you back at it! 

Pretty amazing when I think about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 9:42 PM, carlthess40 said:

Where’s a parts list and cut/build list for these


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do decide to build these (and I highly recommend you do) do yourself a favor and make the design with as few complex angles as possible. Assuming you will want to finish these in some way, the fewer angles you will have to compete with the better. I made mine very complex, and while I am happy with the way they turned out, they were very time consuming and challenging to veneer. Luckily all my mistakes are on the back sides😉.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.4 said:

If you do decide to build these (and I highly recommend you do) do yourself a favor and make the design with as few complex angles as possible. Assuming you will want to finish these in some way, the fewer angles you will have to compete with the better. I made mine very complex, and while I am happy with the way they turned out, they were very time consuming and challenging to veneer. Luckily all my mistakes are on the back sides😉.

Any pictures of your final product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you do decide to build these (and I highly recommend you do) do yourself a favor and make the design with as few complex angles as possible. Assuming you will want to finish these in some way, the fewer angles you will have to compete with the better. I made mine very complex, and while I am happy with the way they turned out, they were very time consuming and challenging to veneer. Luckily all my mistakes are on the back sides.

I agree with what you said, I do have a table saw and many other cool woodworking tools and a very Accomplished finishing Carpenter
But easy is easy lol. No need to be fancy about a build if I don’t have to. And thank you for the heads up. I just need to find the right build sheet. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Any pictures of your final product?

Sure. The lighting is not the greatest. It’s been a little overcast here the last few days.

 

4324C9B4-4431-4901-8BF5-9826824BE328.jpeg

3BF0D96D-171D-4778-8F14-B687120D1C04.jpeg

E7FCE8CE-4366-4938-80F2-224C365EF598.jpeg

EC80E175-703D-4E07-9B9F-5DFB7F449747.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say, that is superb work.  Beautiful! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:


I agree with what you said, I do have a table saw and many other cool woodworking tools and a very Accomplished finishing Carpenter
But easy is easy lol. No need to be fancy about a build if I don’t have to. And thank you for the heads up. I just need to find the right build sheet. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I laid out the design on a sacrificial piece of plywood first. This is also the board I made my glue/clamp jig out of so all the halves would be consistent. The main angles are 45 degrees and the face of the waveguides is 12 inches from the heil to the point. You should be able to get the measurements you need by drawing it up on a piece of paper. I’m sure many would be willing to help if you have questions.

 

B66AB290-6AE1-4FE2-A07F-F1B637CA0D1A.jpeg

D76CA9CC-6AC8-408A-87F3-3A7E1C857D66.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also made this so I could trace the edges closest to the heil without having to use the heil.

1DA2659A-B803-472B-B3E5-1BF7179A3995.jpeg.9fdfc876cc9d46641ccbe8d815658e4e.jpegI made more jigs for this project than most I have done in the past. Which I guess was one  of my goals when I started this project. I wanted everything to be consistent and repeatable. For the most part it was a success, however, I definitely learned a lot for next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I must say, that is superb work.  Beautiful! 

 

Indeed!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.4 said:

Sure. The lighting is not the greatest. It’s been a little overcast here the last few days.

Those turned out exceptional!  Nice work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.4 said:

I wanted everything to be consistent and repeatable.

 

So when does production start and where should I send the check? Looks fantastic sitting atop that LS Bass Bin. Well done!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...