The Klipsch Audio Community
Chris A

Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Thanks  Chris for the explanations , I had asked the Speaker designer some question about a some of the different designs I was thinking of building, including the stacked AMT's , And all of his replies back about the different designs were that  --- Basically none of it would ever work ,

then I had said that I was planning to buy some measurement equipment, and find a decent active crossover like a miniDSP,  or Behringer ,  dbx, etc. , to try different crossover designs to narrow things down before committing to maybe then buying some final passive crossover parts.

but he said  ---  No that doesn't work Active filters use text book slopes. I have never seen a speaker yet that will work with a text book slope crossover.

----  his answers depressed me for 2 days.... LOL - LOL 

14 minutes ago, hallcon83 said:

Thanks  Chris for the explanations , I had asked the Speaker designer some question about a some of the different designs I was thinking of building, including the stacked AMT's , And all of his replies back about the different designs were that  --- Basically none of it would ever work ,

then I had said that I was planning to buy some measurement equipment, and find a decent active crossover like a miniDSP,  or Behringer ,  dbx, etc. , to try different crossover designs to narrow things down before committing to maybe then buying some final passive crossover parts.

but he said  ---  No that doesn't work Active filters use text book slopes. I have never seen a speaker yet that will work with a text book slope crossover.

----  his answers depressed me for 2 days.... LOL - LOL 

In my long journey to find a set of speakers I truly loved, I have tried many, many things.  I too heard all sorts of 'you can't do that' and 'that won't work'. What I have found is that there is no harm in trying various configurations and setups.  They may not work, but you will learn a lot about audio along the way. 

The staked AMTs with wings DO WORK.  They still sit in my listening room and I have had no desire to tinker with anything else.  I also use dual 18" OB for woofers, and many say they won't work either for good bass.  I disagree. 

Enjoy the journey!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hallcon83 said:

...No that doesn't work Active filters use text book slopes. I have never seen a speaker yet that will work with a text book slope crossover...

I don't use the crossover filters in the DSP crossovers, BTW.  I use PEQs around the crossover region to create the crossover slopes without adding phase growth across the crossover filter regions.  It turns out, this is very audible.

The other portion of his response implies something that I find odd:  if he is talking about perfect summing of the upper and lower crossover filters without requiring any input PEQs to smooth and flatten the crossover interference band, then he's got other issues (speaking bluntly).  I find that anyone that says that sort of thing really needs to take another engineering course or two (or maybe a fistful more) because he has misunderstood what it is that he needs to achieve.  That's what the input channel PEQs are meant to correct in DSP crossovers.

He's certainly not talking about using FIR filters.

Chris

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I don't use the crossover filters in the DSP crossovers, BTW.  I use PEQs around the crossover region to create the crossover slopes without adding phase growth across the crossover filter regions.  It turns out, this is very audible.

So no 12db/octave (or whatever) slope?

You “just” EQ out the before/after and fine tune it?

brilliant, simply brilliant

and thanks, as always, for your selfless devotion to the truth!

So I moved my equipment to a new rack a few weeks ago and I misconnected a couple drivers - the left bass bin was wired right side and I think the right tweeter was on the left. Music played, but I could tell it was off.

So my hearing isn't shot and I can discern anomalies.

In spite of my poor room design and acoustics, and after dialing in the active xo, these sound really good. I've also heard the setup in an entirely different room and configuration and they sounded great there.

So whatever combing effects exist, they certainly aren't discernable to the point of distraction.

This kind of stuff can certainly turn into a battle royal of "who's opinion do I trust?", but I'm fairly certain that no one who's gone through the effort here has hated the end result. To be fair, the current sampling of people also has varying degrees of tinkering and implementation of non-oem equipment up to and including esoteric levels.

Klipsch does a lot of things right, but I've grown to understand that they're not the end-all be-all solution either. My system mixes some of the better parts from klipsch, danley, and ess. If you've got the time, funds, and desire to tinker just go for it and let your ears tell you if it works or not.

• Like 1