Heresy HI SM

Jessecorg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 4:39 PM, Randyh said:

- congrats --------------the badge is not mounted properly -but it is the correct badge , a Commercial Klipsch aluminium badge  -    the fabric of the grille was an add-on l ,  these speakers usually dont have a grille , but a  perforated metal grille that is mounted between the woofer between the motorboard  and the woofer   --can you take off the grille so that we can see what is underneath and the internals should a K42 - K55v-k77

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to remove the grille cloth to determine if these have the "perforated metal grilles" installed.  You can see that by opening the driver/network access panel at the speaker rear, instead!  These are actually called the "Industrial Heresy Motor-boards".

Having grille cloth on these most likely means that it was added after purchase....but the similarity to the way the grille cloth is mounted to what was done to accomplish this at the factory makes me think that this may have been due to a specific customer request for cloth grille cloth installation.

Underneath of the grille cloth, you will likely find that these originally had Industrial Heresy motor-boards installed.  The Industrial Heresy motor-boards consisted of a piece of approximately 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, with the woofer outline routed out of its center, and with a metal (aluminum) grille stapled to it.  The Industrial motor-board also had holes drilled in it to use the wood screws to attach it to the rear of the regular motor-board, with the stapled-on grille to the front of the industrial; motor-board.  Additionally, the industrial motor-board has T-nuts installed in order to mount the woofer directly to it using machine screws.  In order to ensure that the industrial Heresy motor-board sealed its metal-grille to the regular Heresy motorboard….prior to final assembly (usually the afternoon beforehand), a bead of  black silicon caulk was run around the face of the grille, in a radius slightly larger than the radius of the woofer opening in the industrial motorboard and atop the metal grille (which had already been installed and painted black most often).  After this bead of caulk set-up over-night, it served as a pliable (as in squashable) gasket to ensure the sealing of the industrial motor-board's face to the cabinet motor-board....basically sealing the cabinet air-tight (more-or-less) at the front. 

If you ever open up the access panel on these it is readily apparent that the woofer is attached to the industrial motor-board using machine screws, while the industrial motor-board, itself is attached to the cabinet motor-board using wood screws….but to actually see the silicone caulk gasket on the face of the metal grille would most likely require your removal of that industrial motor-board from the cabinet motor-board to understand what I described.  I would advise against that because removing it may break the seal from that caulk and cause it to not seal back properly again.

Installation of the Industrial Heresy motor-boards actually reduced the interior volume of the cabinet a bit, but not enough, as PWK would say, to "make a dime's worth of difference" in its performance.😉

You might ask "how do I know all of this?"  I had Industrial Heresy Motor-boards installed by Gwin Cox in final assembly a few weeks after I first took my "flame twins" HDBL's home...due to an "overly curious" adopted cat I had to deal with at home...its curiosity was about to end up with my woofer cones being mauled by its claws...pretty simple!  I had no desire for "curiosity to kill the cat", since it was a great "mouser" in the raggedy house I was residing in at the time!

flame twin left KA.jpg

• Like 2