Capehart 2a3 amp questions/info needed

jackrcox

Hello All,

I recently was given the opportunity by a good friend to acquire a pair of original Capehart 2a3 amplifiers for a sub 2k price. Both seem to be in pretty good shape and are all stock and are working fine. Searching online is leading me to fairly limited information about the model- most threads seem to say they are desirable and worth getting but not much beyond that. 

Assuming I picked them up, does anyone have any recommendations, ie more experience, on what to go about servicing if anything? Any personal experience or firsthand knowledge about the model would also be helpfull, I am sort of new to higher end tube material.

Thanks,

Jack

Screenshot_20191231-181208_Gmail.jpg

Although I don't know anything about this specific amp, I do have a bit of experience with other vintage pieces.  First thing I would tell you if these are all original, is to have them restored by a reputable, qualified tech.  Otherwise you are sitting on a ticking fire hazard.  The capacitors, power supplies, and other parts in these vintage beauties don't last forever and are frankly somewhat dangerous at this point in their lives, whether they seem to work and sound good, regardless.....Do lots of research on antique radio forums and others to find some good people.  Have fun and good luck.

Thanks @jimjimbo,

My biggest concern would be what to get done to them to hold their value and historical significance. Do I send them to a decent regional tech that's been doing most of my current tube work, or would you send them up to NOScraig or Terry (edit: I was not aware he retired, wish him the best)or the like? 

10 hours ago, jackrcox said:

Thanks @jimjimbo,

My biggest concern would be what to get done to them to hold their value and historical significance. Do I send them to a decent regional tech that's been doing most of my current tube work, or would you send them up to NOScraig or Terry (edit: I was not aware he retired, wish him the best)or the like? 

Find a tech that will restore them with parts that will keep the sound as close to the original as possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jackrcox said:

Thanks @jimjimbo,

Highly recommend these folks in Chicago.  Send them an email (best method) and then set up a time to call.  They do excellent work and will restore the unit to as close to original as possible.

https://stereorehab.wordpress.com/

For general info: 773-765-4236

Customer hours: Friday & Saturday 12pm-8pm

Email: info@stereorehab.com

10 hours ago, Schu said:

So you differentiate between listening and collecting and never the two shall meet?

Old amps need full restoration before being used as daily drivers. If not, they could go up in smoke and that would not be good. 

Capehart 2A3: https://www.google.com/search?q=capehart+2a3+amplifier&oq=capehart+2a3+amplifier&aqs=chrome..69i57.15519j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They were made by Brooks and PWK liked their amps. 

I would not hesitate to pick these up for that price. $2k is a good roached price not sure about working. A freaking bargain. These look like the rare capeheart amplifiers that were made by Brook. Look at the Brook 10C and think bigger. This is the rolls royce of amplifiers of its day. You need someone familiar with this vintage and maybe Brooks. I'd spend good money on these beauties to be made safe as a daily driver. Capeheart used top of the line everything when they built consoles or custom installs.

Amazing score!!!!