Advice on AV receiver and ATMOS speakers

Threerun

Greetings from Montana. 

I'm a 25 year Klipsch owner and still very much a novice (in my opinion). I rarely have had the time to stay up on recent trends and tended to only upgrade electronics every 5-10 years. Raising kids, activities etc and all that jazz. Now the kids are in college and we need to upgrade. I could use all the help and advice offered.

I have a 5.1 set up right now. KG 4.5 are the mains, KG 2.2's are the rears and a KV-3 in the center. The sub is a Klipsch Sub10. I guess in a perfect world I'd have KG 2.5's for rears, or ideally maybe 5.5's in the front, 4.5's in the rear and a better sub,  but it is what I have. Finding used equipment here is nigh impossible, so it is what it is.

The room they are in is in our finished basement family room which is in total 20x30-ish finished area. The room is divided in that the home 'theater' area is a portion of that- maybe 15x18. Ceiling height is 8-9', I forget exactly. 

I also have a pair of DT's mounted in our upstairs living room, My current receiver has a Zone 1 and 2, those are on Zone 2. 

My AVR and TV are old. My Sony XBR is over 12 years old and my Yamaha AVR is 6 years old. My wife and I agreed it's time to upgrade and pass off the old tv to one of my kids. We've got about $6,000 to play with. 

We both like the 65"  LG OLED C9 (I think that's correct) so there goes $2,300-ish right there. 

I'm not even remotely up to speed on AVR's. In fact my head spins thinking about it. I know I like to listen to my jazz and rock, so an AVR that doubles for movies and music is a must. My old Yammy's have been good, especially in the direct mode. After all these years I still enjoy plopping down in front of the KG4.5's and listening to Bill Brubeck. It fills the room nicely. 

I'm trying to discern if a Yamaha Aventage 1080 or 2080 is a good fit, will provide the best experience for home theater and music playback. There is also Denon- but I'm lost there as well. So help. 

I also need to consider ATMOS speakers, and I have no knowledge of what Klipsch offers, or even if they are a good fit with what I own now. Any advice there is welcome. Ceiling mounting would require major surgery and I really don't want to go there. so up-firing would be better for me. 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Threerun
mispelling
  • Like 1

Hi!

If you prefer Yamaha, the a1080/a2080 should be fine. Denon is one of the better ones for movies, but for both movies and music, I myself would go for Marantz. On the topic of atmos speakers, I don't know if any of klipsch's atmos speakers match the KG series. Someone else will have to cover that one. Happy upgrading!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threerun said:

Honestly I don’t prefer one receiver over the other. Just by way of happenstance and timing I’ve had Yamaha. 

Any particular Marantz?

The sr6014 or sr7014 would be the better performing ones when it comes to music. But if you find an sr6009 - sr6013 or sr7009 - sr6013, they would do just as great as the first two i mentioned. In my opinion, marantz can be a bit stingy with their upgrades, so the models from the previous years aren't all that different. 

most popular receiver for atmos is the denon 6500 since it's the cheapest that can do a full 7.1.4 without relying on external amplification.  It's the simple choice.  Go bigger or smaller depending on budget and channel necessities.