Open Baffle Bass, closer to horn bass?

ClaudeJ1

Have you looked at the 18" Goldwood drivers? They get to 30 Hz. in the right OB setup, but trying to get to 20 Hz. without more cones and severe EQ is tough. My friend build his award winning "Alphasaurus" OB bass with 8 Eminence Alphas per channel for a total of 16 and easily got down to 25 Hz. with ridiculously low distortion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Have you looked at the 18" Goldwood drivers? They get to 30 Hz. in the right OB setup, but trying to get to 20 Hz. without more cones and severe EQ is tough. My friend build his award winning "Alphasaurus" OB bass with 8 Eminence Alphas per channel for a total of 16 and easily got down to 25 Hz. with ridiculously low distortion.

I looked at the specs on that driver.  Very much a good driver for OB operation I think. What, if any, would be the down side to using two of these per channel?  I have built many OB structures but only used Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers, which are not ideally suited for OB use.  I really like the OB sound and would love to be able to build something that could go from near 20hz up to 1.2kHz.  That would allow me to use stay with a two way system.

53 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I looked at the specs on that driver.  Very much a good driver for OB operation I think. What, if any, would be the down side to using two of these per channel?  I have built many OB structures but only used Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers, which are not ideally suited for OB use.  I really like the OB sound and would love to be able to build something that could go from near 20hz up to 1.2kHz.  That would allow me to use stay with a two way system.

That would be tough to do. Here's the Alphasaurus bass section. Slot loaded.

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

• Like 1

I have been running dual 12” servo sub in OB (H frame alignment) for several years.  Outstanding tight bass, no overhang or boom as is typical with monopole bass (I have never heard horn loaded bass in a home environment).  The amps have controls that really allow you to dial it in to 20Hz in room.  Some run triples and I know of one gentleman that runs dual stacks of 6!  These are sold as DIY but I won’t mention the name as this is only my second post here and I am not clear on the rules regarding that type of thing.  I’m not certain I can receive PMs yet , but I will be happy to supply additional information if asked.

Best,

Ed

816C926B-F428-4B77-BD3F-12CB8693FA24.jpeg

Edited by Ebag4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ebag4 said:

I have been running dual 12” servo sub in OB (H frame alignment) for several years.  Outstanding tight bass, no overhang or boom as is typical with monopole bass (I have never heard horn loaded bass in a home environment).  The amps have controls that really allow you to dial it in to 20Hz in room.  Some run triples and I know of one gentleman that runs dual stacks of 6!  These are sold as DIY but I won’t mention the name as this is only my second post here and I am not clear on the rules regarding that type of thing.  I’m not certain I can receive PMs yet , but I will be happy to supply additional information if asked.

Best,

Ed

Very interesting.  What is the highest frequency you can use with the OB subs?

On 1/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Which award did they win?

38 minutes ago, zobsky said:

Which award did they win?

2nd place in the Unlimited category. My friend, who built them, actually was suprised he did that well and said the ones that did win first place were way better than his. We both figured out why, so he's modifying them now.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:48 PM, Rudy81 said:

I really like the OB sound and would love to be able to build something that could go from near 20hz up to 1.2kHz.  That would allow me to use stay with a two way system.

I don't think that is possible without active Xovers, to boost the woofers high enought, and getting your "winged wonders" to cross low enough.

On 1/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ebag4 said:

Best,

Ed

I respect your respectfulness... and knowing and reading your post's for years from the other forums funny to think of you as a newbie here. Welcome. Coming from AC and my main hang out forum for years, i'm brainwashed by what i read there. And i assume what I read is the best and only way. My first 15 pairs of speakers were from forum sponsors. I also read and learn here. Not a lot of open baffle talk. I think that's how forums work the ones we frequent, well its our community. The people that hear horn loaded bass say it the best and the people that here OB bass say they will never go back. I find it hard to believe when people in the audio community don't know who Danny Richie and GR research. DIY and a Texan. He's a great contributor.

With all that said... i'm back and forth with do I want horn or OB bass?!!

52 minutes ago, guf said:

I respect your respectfulness... and knowing and reading your post's for years from the other forums funny to think of you as a newbie here. Welcome. Coming from AC and my main hang out forum for years, i'm brainwashed by what i read there. And i assume what I read is the best and only way. My first 15 pairs of speakers were from forum sponsors. I also read and learn here. Not a lot of open baffle talk. I think that's how forums work the ones we frequent, well its our community. The people that hear horn loaded bass say it the best and the people that here OB bass say they will never go back. I find it hard to believe when people in the audio community don't know who Danny Richie and GR research. DIY and a Texan. He's a great contributor.

With all that said... i'm back and forth with do I want horn or OB bass?!!

Thanks for the welcome Guf.  I love OB bass but not everyone can pull their speakers out into the room, that is the case with a buddy of mine.  That is what really brought me here, that and a thread regarding the Forte lll.  

Regarding horn bass, I have not heard it in a residential setting, I did however purchase plans for the Tuba several years ago, but never got around to building it.  Actually, come to think of it, I did own a pair of Ed Schillings “The Horn”, a small back loaded horn, I liked it quite a bit although calling the output of that little fostex driver bass may be a stretch ;-).

Best,

Ed

5 hours ago, Ebag4 said:

I love OB bass but not everyone can pull their speakers out into the room, that is the case with a buddy of mine.  That is what really brought me here, that and a thread regarding the Forte lll.

Coincidentally, after a couple years of no forum involvement anywhere (on any topic, certainly never audio-related) I'd got it in my craw to gather information on the Forte III and wound up here, too.

I think you nailed it about bringing the speakers out into the room.  Not everyone who can appreciate audio stimulation to any extraordinary level has a room that's suitable for both becoming a dedicated shrine and physically up to the task.

I ended up with a pair of those Fortes and found that in the poor (larger) room they work best roughly 8" from the wall and only very slightly toed in.  They are perfect for the environment and far exceed being merely a good compromise.

In my overall experience the absolute best producers of music are not reproducers, which all invariably suffer from compromises...  Sometimes the illusion can be quite spectacular but it remains an illusion nonetheless.  Never really as good as the real thing.

Hi Everyone , I'm new here... I have been lurking for quite a while but being a newbie I never felt like I could add much ... this is a little off topic and will probably need to be approved by a moderator - but several people have mentioned their Klipsch Forte III Horn Speakers -- so I hope this is okay, so here goes -------- just saw a video recently by a company called GR Research it's a company that designs for,  and improves other Speaker Company's speakers ... as well as builds their own speakers too - usually in a knock down kit form - - - -  Outstanding Speakers!!!! 

Recently they did several upgrade videos that were Amazing .... !!!  When any company builds a speaker, they have to build it to a price point -- (that is  99% of the time)  so compromises Have to be made somewhere in the design ... and if budget wasn't a factor, any speaker you buy could have built better by the same company. So Most speakers although they may sound very good can be improved ... and Gr.Research can show where those improvements can be made. The two videos that I'll mention , and are relevant here are first , where recently a guy drove his  Klipsch Forte III to GR. Research''s facility's and had it tested and measured,  and then they did some upgrades to it.  They decided it went so well , and the owner was SO Happy , that they decided to offered a kit to Upgrade your own Forte's yourself! The kit is upgraded crossover parts to rebuild the crossovers , and then they improved the build on the inside of the speaker as well adding braces, and a special sound liner for the walls, and a few other things as well ---  This took a wonderful speaker and made it Much Better!!!!!!  

-- In another set of videos they also took the Klipsch  RP 600M  and did a 4 or 5 part video series on improving that speaker too, and then on how to do the improvements yourself - and they sell those kits too.  -- this isn't knock on Klipsch Speakers - they are just owned by a lot of peple and we all know they make great speakers! ---  Any way I am not affiliated with the company at all ---- but know if I had speakers that someone could show me how to make major improvements to - then offered the kits and help at a great price I'd want to know about it!

Best Regards,

Dean  ------------- 

PS. -- here is the link to the video on the Forte III's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IOOxqc81U

Edited by hallcon83