THLPT

Trippigs

Hello.....I am a couple of weeks away from receiving my Bill Fitzmaurice THLPT which is being built. It is a 36” cabinet with a 15” Dayton Audio RSS39HF-4 (15”) driver. It will be matched up with a McIntosh MA 252 integrated amp, a pair of industrial Klipsch LaScalas and a Dayton Audio SA100 plate subwoofer amp. I am getting pretty excited!

My question is this.....should I connect the MA252 to the SA100 with a single RCA cable or do I need  a split RCA cable. Of course I want to use the entire wattage produced by the SA100 and I read conflicting advice on how to achieve this.

PS....the THLPT is beautiful and I will post pictures upon receipt.

Thanks......Wm

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Trippigs said:

Hello.....I am a couple of weeks away from receiving my Bill Fitzmaurice THLPT which is being built. It is a 36” cabinet with a 15” Dayton Audio RSS39HF-4 (15”) driver. It will be matched up with a McIntosh MA 252 integrated amp, a pair of industrial Klipsch LaScalas and a Dayton Audio SA100 plate subwoofer amp. I am getting pretty excited!

My question is this.....should I connect the MA252 to the SA100 with a single RCA cable or do I need  a split RCA cable. Of course I want to use the entire wattage produced by the SA100 and I read conflicting advice on how to achieve this.

Thanks......Wm

Edit: I thought you wrote SA1000 not SA100 (thought that was overkill

@codewritinfool can attest to the beauty of LSI + THTLP! I hope to hear his set up one day. Yours should be killer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trippigs said:

Thanks......Wm

I have kind of a budget setup for my splits and THTLP.  I used the DCS385-4 coupled with an SD100 plate amp.  For my little outdoor rig, the SMSL Q5 Pro (35W / ch into 8 ohms) has a "sub out" (single RCA) that crosses over at 200Hz.  The SD100 has its own level control and its own crossover control.  I usually set it to around 100Hz, sometimes lower.  I exclusively use my setup outdoors.

@Schu is right.  The trick is to balance it with the LS.  Repeated listening and walking around will help get it dialed in.  You don't want to notice the sub by itself.  You want to hear the entire thing as one cohesive unit, without holes and without peakiness.  

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Unless you have a super tight budget i recommend you spring for an amplifier with DSP.

Aaahhh..ok. I bought the SA100 a couple of years ago but have never opened the package. Too late to return but a reasonable candidate for resale. Never messed with a DSP but maybe it is time. Are we talking a minor tweak or does a DSP move the dial?

41 minutes ago, Trippigs said:

Aaahhh..ok. I bought the SA100 a couple of years ago but have never opened the package. Too late to return but a reasonable candidate for resale. Never messed with a DSP but maybe it is time. Are we talking a minor tweak or does a DSP move the dial?

More options for crossover, delay and smoothing out response issues common in most rooms.

If you have the means its really the way to go.

Jason.....I appreciate the manner in which you phrase the financial aspect of things...very considerate. I’m blessed that the cost is not a factor in this case. However, the DSP strikes me as the proverbial black box device even though I understand the science. But, I have followed your postings for some time now and you just don’t post bs or even marginal bs! So I still may follow your recommendation after playing around with what I have...likely just tune to my liking with a nice vintage Pioneer 12 band equalizer (SG 9800).

Thanks.....Wm

I would use a y-RCA to break out the single sub-out from the MA252 to use both the L+R inputs on the sub.  I'm sure using just the left would work but many subs, including yours, double the gain by using both the L+R inputs.  Here's the section from your sub's manual:

1. Low-Level Inputs (Left/Right)

RCA style jacks that will accept standard line level inputs from a pre-amp level source. They will accept a stereo signal and inter- nally combine it into mono. (Note: Both left and right input jacks must be connected to the source in order to drive the amplifier to full output).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, picked the sub up this morning and just finished my first listening....Santana....wow! The builder is a superb craftsman and an audiophile which is a great combination. He is also meticulous and honest so I am very pleased. Will dial in setup as time passes but first impression is impressive..it blends in well without overpowering. Gonna enjoy this awhile!

918E7E43-840A-4091-9754-589FB2B00156.jpeg

755299C1-C78E-43A2-9793-C60F1AA18407.jpeg

55846985-0D61-4B89-92F0-DA73E9FBBFB5.jpeg

• Like 3

Really fine sounding sub.  I had a chance to listen to one at a friends home last year while in Hope and I think that someone is bringing one to our event in April.  One of these days I will get around to building one, as I purchased plans years ago, but ended up building some others.  Bet it sound great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Mine is 18" x 24" x 6'.  The 24" dimension is the variable one, wider gives you a flatter response according to Bill.

sounds great. I have the plans the the low profile myself. Wasn’t sure where the sweet spot was for the variable measurement. There’s less info on the LP as far as performance when going oversize.