RP-600m power needs and max

randyps66

Website says continuous/peak 100w/400w.  I am wanting to pair with a Denon PMA-600NE amp rated 45wpc into 8 ohms.  Do the specs on Klipsch site show maximums?  I've been told by a dealer of both brands they will work fine together.  To me from what I am reading, the 100w continuous amount is the most wattage they can handle continuously not a minimum.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Alex Voge said:

I have an 80w per channel receiver for my rp-600m's. Would those speakers sound that much better if i had a receiver with 150w per channel?

I doubt that.

It depends on how good is the receiver you start with. But "much better" - not likely on my humble opinion.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:51 PM, Alex Voge said:

I have an 80w per channel receiver for my rp-600m's. Would those speakers sound that much better if i had a receiver with 150w per channel?

Thanks in advance.

the RP 600M  can handle up to 100 watts continuous ,  if you use a 150 watts amp , the amp will sound much cleaner than a 75 watts amp given it also distorts  2x less given it has 2x more power -  the RP 600m is a bookshelf speaker -an 80 watts amp sounds about right ----150 watts is better , but not critical -

On 10/23/2020 at 3:51 PM, Alex Voge said:

Thanks in advance.

Your current amp is more than ample. Just more power in itself would not make your speakers sound better. The quality of the signal going into them does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, Alexander said:

Your current amp is more than ample. Just more power in itself would not make your speakers sound better. The quality of the signal going into them does.

I just bought a pair of rp-600m's and am pleasantly surprised there's a forum specific to klipsch! 
I'm wondering if there's any way to tell about the quality of the signal that you refer too? I would expect more expensive is one way to tell but would also expect as with all things, cost isn't everything, so is there any metric indicated for amps that I/we should watch out for to get an idea? 

I'm specifically wondering whether it's worth investing in the 130 / 155 wpc from the Denon AVR-X550BT / Onkyo TX-SR393, respectively (planning to have the possibility to build a home theater around these components in the future, unless that's going to significantly impair the quailty of the sound I get from them in stereo now? separate issue I guess), or to look for something with a lower wattage and higher .. something else?  How can the quality of the signal change that much? or do I misunderstand and you mean one step further up the chain at the source of the signal? 

Thanks for your advice!

Can't speak for the Onkyo (though they all do this now-a-days) but the Denon is playing with marketing numbers at 130wpc. Use the 8 ohm as a reference and even 70wpc is still a bit generous of a value at that if you are driving more than two speakers. Again, this is common practice with ALL of the manufactures (and vendors) these days. And as the price goes up....yep you guested it the more likely the numbers are real.

As far as quality goes – this is very suggestive. Your preference in music can have a lot to do the choice of gear, even the format you use (play) such as lossy mp3 vs lossless aac has impact.

But back to your point, for the most part, yes price is usually in line with quality. But each of us have different tastes/likes & dislikes. If at all possible always try to listen before you buy using music material you are familiar with.

11 hours ago, 218 dBs said:

I just bought a pair of rp-600m's and am pleasantly surprised there's a forum specific to klipsch! 
I'm wondering if there's any way to tell about the quality of the signal that you refer too? I would expect more expensive is one way to tell but would also expect as with all things, cost isn't everything, so is there any metric indicated for amps that I/we should watch out for to get an idea? 

I'm specifically wondering whether it's worth investing in the 130 / 155 wpc from the Denon AVR-X550BT / Onkyo TX-SR393, respectively (planning to have the possibility to build a home theater around these components in the future, unless that's going to significantly impair the quailty of the sound I get from them in stereo now? separate issue I guess), or to look for something with a lower wattage and higher .. something else?  How can the quality of the signal change that much? or do I misunderstand and you mean one step further up the chain at the source of the signal? 

Thanks for your advice!

Watt/Power isn't everything. Brands will list this as a selling argument, even the big names, esp. in their budget line, because they know sellers will use it to impress potential buyers. Don't get fooled by the numbers. There are high end, highly prized and priced amps that have ONE watt rms, but it is the 'cleanest' watt they are after.

For solid state amps , look for THD in the specs: Total Harmonic Distortion. Some will list something like 1%, some 0.3% and some %0.003.  That last percentage is 100x less distortion than the second (which is, btw, for the Harman Kardon 430). This is a good indicator, but you have to take into account that every amplifier has a 'sweet point': the volume setting at which it sounds the best, with your speakers that is.

For Tube Amps, THD is a different matter: when you turn up the volume, THD will go up spectacularly (up to 10%), because it is the nature of the beast: the quality of the tubes will determine the quality of the distortion. For some reason, our brain appreciates this kind of distortion, especially when it  is 'second order distortion'. But if you play your music loud, and you have a low watt tube amp, you'll get ugly distortion before you reach your desired loud volume (compare with a heavy metal guitar distortion), so you'll need a Tube Amp with 30 watts or so, to play your music loud without ugly distortion. Example: my America designed, China made Tubecube 7 has 3.5W and plays fine at low volume (for evening sessions) at around 0.2-0.5 W, but there is too much distortion to play it loud.

Reviewers (and makers and sellers) of audiophile amps often handle the terms blackness and staging which I actually kind of like: visualise a black canvas, yes, like a painting,  and let us say you're listening to a jazz trio. Imagine you see all 3 instruments clearly painted against that totally black background. There's the drum, the piano, the bass. They each have their fixed place in the painting and they are clearly defined, bright and crystal clear. But this is no 2D painting, but a 3D painting: the instruments not just have a position on the X/Y axis, the two dimensional stage, but also on the Z-axis (distance from the listener). This too is clearly defined. When blackness is total, the instruments' definition is absolute, a singularity, if you like. Unfortunately, most recordings have noise, and most amplifiers (and the rest of the system, like cables etc) add noise, so that absolute definition is eroded, and you get a garbled, noisy, muddy image, which is less appealing than when the blackness is total...

Here is a recording of which I think blackness is really present,  you should hear it with your RP600Ms if the your amp is up to it... Tord Gustavsen Trio, The Ground, Colours of Mercy.

image.png.1603b2b6787a2c702affc152efe5a722.png

Something you are going to find is most of the time an avr will not perform as well as a dedicated 2 channel system when in 2 channel mode. But of course as the $$$ go up this can get much better. In my case I use an avr-x3200w for HT and maybe 15% of the time in 2 channel for casual background music. The rest of the time I use either my Denon (old stuff) or Emotiva separates for serious tunes.

If you are just starting out in this take your time, save some money and get an older used avr. A great example would be to look for a Denon avr-991 – this was one of the higher end models Denon offered and they can be had for ~$250. I am sure fellow members here can list many other models/brands that would give you similar value.

Once you have a bit of time under your belt you may find out more of what you want/don;t want in your system. But once again, your music taste has a lot to to with what you will want to use. If you listen to say rap then a system setup for jazz will probably sound very underwhelming to you.