HERESY HIPS - WHAT SHALL I DO???

longdrive03

Hi all, need some advise.  Traded with another forum member and got a paid of HIPs.  All speakers work and sound great.  

Speakers are in black with some pieces of metal corner trim.  I haven't removed components yet.  One has K-42 woofer with steel basket, K-55M mid,  and square magnet K-77 with HIE network with black caps.

Other one has K-42 with  Klipsch round emblem with cast frame with what appears be sourced from Electrovoice, K-55M mid, round magnet K-77 and HIE network with metal old caps.

I'm going to get better photos and serials numbers tonight.

Possible options:

1.  Sell them as is.

2.  Clean up a little and sell.

3.  Part out (!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? - WOULD THAT BE HERESY ON HERESYS?)  - If i part out I will use the cabinets for regular heresy components on hand with new veneered cabinets.

4.  Remove metal sand down to birch ply and 

A.   Fill in handle hole, reveneer, finish and maybe grill frames with hidden magnets  and sell or

B.  Refinish birch  and maybe do grills and sell

Okay I know someone will say "just give them to me as is" which is nearly number 1 but ain't gonna happen

Let me know your thoughts.  Does it make any difference as to the woofers being steel v cast frame and one from EV ( i assume per Klipsch specs) and the other from Eminence.

I know you need pics, serial numbers etc which I'll try to get tonight.  Here is what I have on camera now.

Man they sound good!!

Probably more possibilities.

As Sundance said "well they could surrender"!

IMG_9614.PNG

IMG_9631.JPG

What great character those HIP's have!

Your dilemma is "who is the buyer?"  The speakers don't match but they are the greatest sounding of the Heresy line.  They're not pretty but would make fantastic garage speakers.

I would vote for clean them up and sell them as a pair.  I don't think selling Industrial models as singles would work very well, I don't think there's a buyer for that who could be easily found.

If you want a project, as you say you can part them out and re-fit the boxes to make a matched pair.  That's a lot of work but that's also where the money is in those HIP's.

I'd clean them up and sell them.  An E-V EVM-12L is $250 and no longer looks quite like the mid '80s version you have.  I suspect the steel frame K-42 is identical in performance to the E-V.  Someone on Reverb is selling a hybrid of E-V and Eminence/Klipsch K-42 parts, even.  So, I wouldn't change it.

wow, tough decision. Too many options! Post a few more pics. The metal corners on the one on the left look after market.

If you do decide to turn them into everyday Heresy, I'd buy the trim from the right one off of you. And handle too, if it has one.

Just giving you more options which you probably don't need.

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Strip the trim, bondo any imperfections and Duratex the cabs.  They'll look like a matching set, fetch a higher selling price and cost very little to do so.

but you would still have mismatched metal trim. Still a good idea, but wouldn't "match".

34 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Strip the trim, bondo any imperfections and Duratex the cabs.  They'll look like a matching set, fetch a higher selling price and cost very little to do so.

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Lose the trim altogether.  Run a round over bit on the edges.

100% agree with Carl on this.  Keep it simple and easy and save super tricked out finish for another project.  

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

I am just curious to know which of the speakers sound the best , it is so rare for someone to actually have 2 HIP  at once , and the speakers you have , have 2 different woofers , 2 different tweeters ,2   different crossovers ( black caps versus metal caps ) , the question , here , does 1 sound better or both the same ----------tx

Any HIP out there (these included) will have lead a tough life. I would think that the listening test would be more of a which one had the harder existence instead of which one has a better woofer etc. Roll in that one has an updated crossover and one does not,  further complicates any fair assessment. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Randyh said:

did you ever compare both K42's EV-Eminence   , soundwise-

the Ev has less bass - but extends higher -

-EV - 80Hz-7kHz (-10dB)

-Eminence delta12a-- 52Hz-4.5kHz - almost 100db - at 1w - 1 meter

The ones I had were in some midbass horn cabs. I sold them to a guitarist...

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

I am just curious to know which of the speakers sound the best , it is so rare for someone to actually have 2 HIP  at once , and the speakers you have , have 2 different woofers , 2 different tweeters ,2   different crossovers ( black caps versus metal caps ) , the question , here , does 1 sound better or both the same ----------tx

The specs on the woofers are close enough to pass Klipsch testing. Much ado about nothing. I have had both of those before. In fact my original pair of Super Heresy 1.0's, now owned by JimJimbo, have the EVM Silver woofers, which created the Super Heresy frenzy to start with. The other "stamped metal" frame is very strong so no worries there. They have the same specification.