HERESY HIPS - WHAT SHALL I DO???

longdrive03

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

did you ever compare both K42's EV-Eminence   , soundwise-

the Ev has less bass - but extends higher -

-EV - 80Hz-7kHz (-10dB)

-Eminence delta12a-- 52Hz-4.5kHz - almost 100db - at 1w - 1 meter

Nothing personal, as I'm just using your post as a springboard for my point.

I do not believe much of what is said in words without MEASUREMENTS under stated conditions as proof. Comparisons can be done with an A/B switch, in addition to the curves, but I would do both. You can't say "Your Mileage May Vary" without actually DRIVING the miles and reading the ODOMETER!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, thanks for all the posts - heck now my head is swirling.

I got the components out of one of the cabs last night (the one with the most trim.  It has the two 2uf and one 8uf black caps on the xover and I have a bunch of those (at least the 8uf so I could get the xovers to match.  One has the 1/4" jack on the metal input.    Anyone have a clue as to going rate for the components alone - K42E woofer and EV woofer, mid horns /K-33M drivers, K-77 with square mag and one with round mag, HIE crossovers?.

If I sell the components I could redo the cabs to regular Heresys since I have the extra components and probably would go the nice veneer route and fill in the port and handle hole to make close to air tight.

Still thinking and ciphering.  Some buddies are coming by tonight to hear the one that still has the components installed.

Thanks for all the ideas.  May take a while to make this decision.

Here is the input cup, front  and back of K42E woofer which is in great shape (probably because the screen was inplace).

IMG_9661.JPG

IMG_9689.JPG

IMG_9690.JPG

2 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

Anyone have a clue as to going rate for the components alone - K42E woofer and EV woofer, mid horns /K-33M drivers, K-77 with square mag and one with round mag, HIE crossovers?.

Why don't you just keep them and make Super Heresy's out of them by simply changing the Networks and putting some foam inside?

Just now, longdrive03 said:

Thanks MechEngVic for the compliment.

Claude as always you are a wealth of info. 

What changes would I need in the network - different size caps - different autotransformer tap connection?

That was my subtle suggestion for you to do your thing with this pair. 

20 minutes ago, longdrive03 said:

Thanks MechEngVic for the compliment.

Claude as always you are a wealth of info. 

What changes would I need in the network - different size caps - different autotransformer tap connection?

You are on the right track. The HIP uses, essentially the same Autoformer Taps as the Khorn/LaScala AA network. The only difference is the lower value Capacitor for the midrange to get a 700 Hz. crossover point for the K700 horn LENS instead of 400 for the K400 horn lens, using the same Mid Driver. Basically, since PA use involved a subwoofer, having the boxes roll off at 150 Hz. meant that the horns "scream" at full volume, while the woofer is relatively weak in comparison.

So your job is to knock the horns' output down about 6  db to match the woofer, and change the cap values to maintain the same crossover point since you will be quadrupling the impedance to the horn drivers in the process. Look up my Super Heresy 1.0 and follow the recipe, as you already have all the components, except for the Capacitors. All you have to do is re-solder the Autoformer connections in the process and put some foam in the box to absorb the excess midrange bouncing around.

If you really want to make them top notch, then get some of DaveA's sMAHL tweeters with B&C DE-120 drivers.

Thanks for info Claude. 

MechEngVic thanks for the subtle suggestion. I will do that if I keep them. Trouble is a lot of people want to buy but shipping is crazy high. I’ve got a friend that travels to St. Louis and Kansas City in Tulsa and he would be willing to deliver to those areas if someone was interested which would make it made it easier. I’ve Got some figured eucalyptus, windy, and other than New Year’s that would be interesting

• 1 month later...

BUMP!!!

Okay after much anguish and hand wringing I've committed to rehabbing the cabinets making these super Heresys per Claude.  

I shot a lot of nails in the cabinet joints to make sure they are solidI filled in the front rectangular slot port and the handle hole on the top.  In the process of veneering front baffle then I will install 3/4" x 1/2" edge trim on front and veneer front edges.

I built new 3/16" masonite grills with neo magnet hidden under the front veneer.  I've got the 4" x 4" PE vents to install on the back.  Using anegre fiddleback veneer on these which will be wrapped around sides and top.  Veneering a new back panel with the veneer also.  Rear plywood edges will also be veneered.  Will recap the xovers per Claude using Sonicap caps.

I hope to either come to the pilgrimage of send the speakers with a friend if anyone is interested in buying them.  Please pm me for details.

The tweeters in these don't match but I will install a matched pair (round or square magnet) to match.

Here is a pic of how they looked when I got them and now with one front veneered (without the front edge trim pieces and veneer.

I plan on using brown cane weave grill cloth but maybe could use some black weave grill cloth used by Klipsch.

Will sell for $750 for the pair.

Thanks.

IMG_9614.PNG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Your work on the cabinets is always worth watching.  I need 1 Heresy as a center channel to go along with my existing 4 Heresy for a nice 5.2 HT setup.  Watching what you do makes me want to find a beat up old Heresy by the side of the road and fix it.  Now where's my truck?  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks MC appreciate the compliment.  Working on these in spare time which is sparse now.

We travelled up your way in late July 2019.  Flew into Calgary and spent three days in Banff and in Lake Louise.  Incredible blue lakes, glaciers and waterfalls.  We want to go back but it's awful cold up there now.  We left early August and it was 25 degrees in the morning!  Wife, daughter and her boyfriend loved the scenery and hiking. 

• Like 1