Panasonic and Klipsch Partnering for Automotive Audio

TasDom

12 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Alpine and Jensen were my "go to" components back in the day. Looking forward to what they will be offering.

1975, high school; the only thing cooler than a set of Jensen 6x9s was a set of Jensen 6x9s mounted in the rear deck of a Trans Am.

12 minutes ago, Edgar said:

1975, high school; the only thing cooler than a set of Jensen 6x9s was a set of Jensen 6x9s mounted in the rear deck of a Trans Am.

HaHa...1982, high school; Jensen 6 x 9s in the back of my 1970 1/2 Z-28 and cassettes all over the place....good times!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TasDom said:

HaHa...1982, high school; Jensen 6 x 9s in the back of my 1970 1/2 Z-28 and cassettes all over the place....good times!

The neverending "which one is better?" battle between the Trans Am and the Z-28. I liked the lines of the Camaro better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, avguytx said:

I remember hearing that tale as well.  Maybe they did a little more before my time in working in car audio in 84; I was installing my own stuff and friends stuff in 1979/80 when I worked for the local Western Auto store.  I also installed things that came from auto parts stores...Jensen, Sparkomatic, Kraco, Mindblower (6x9's), Pioneer, etc.  Fun times.  In later years, it was primarily car alarms and video.

In high school, Audiovox, Sparkomatic and Kracko were sold in auto parts stores.  Everyone had Jensen 6x9s and Pioneer head units, but Alpine was the holy grail because they put them in the Countach, which we never saw except in a poster. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Although I am a Ford guy, I like the first Gen RS camaro and the early split  bumpers, but I can't get behind the Jensen  6x9's, they sucked, they blew all the time, they didn't sound good at volume and they couldn't hang with Pioneer TS  6907 4-way 6x9's, but the  Jensen's were a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

In high school, Audiovox, Sparkomatic and Kracko were sold in auto parts stores.  Everyone had Jensen 6x9s and Pioneer head units, but Alpine was the holy grail because they put them in the Countach, which we never saw except in a poster. 

I had the first flat face Alpine, around $500, the top Alpine EQ with pink noise and sound shaper around $500, two Punch  150 amps at $500 each and four pairs of Pioneer speakers back in high school in my 1967 big  block 4-speed fastback mustang GT. I  graduated in 1983.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I  graduated in 1983

Roger,

If I remember correctly, you and I were born on the same day in the same year. I graduated in 1982 but I can see why they'd hold you back a year..:P

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

... I can't get behind the Jensen  6x9's, they sucked, they blew all the time, they didn't sound good at volume and they couldn't hang with Pioneer TS  6907 4-way 6x9's, but the  Jensen's were a lot cheaper.

In retrospect, that's comforting. I never could afford Jensens, let alone Pioneers.

• Like 1

In high school, the Pioneer super tuner and Jensen stuff was sold at Wal mart.  I owned a Panasonic head unit/cd player that sounded great along with my Alpine 6x9s.  It even had sub pre outs on it.  The only thing I didn't care for was the bass and treble were only adjustable in 3s, assuming maybe they meant 3 dbs.  Good unit though. 

1 hour ago, TasDom said:

Roger,

If I remember correctly, you and I were born on the same day in the same year. I graduated in 1982 but I can see why they'd hold you back a year..:P

I passed, parent held  me back in  7th grade because of all the trouble I was getting into. I got expelled for the first time in my first time around in 7th grade and my parents wanted me to mature before high school.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Edgar said:

In retrospect, that's comforting. I never could afford Jensens, let alone Pioneers.

Edgar,

I was fighting to much in school  and didn't care about doing school work. My mother got me a job cleaninmg the kill floor in a slaughter house when I just turned 15 if I wanted  it or not. Money was mine to spend however  I wanted.

Roger

2 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

My mother got me a job cleaninmg the kill floor in a slaughter house when I just turned 15

Wow. I have nothing that compares even remotely to that. My hat's off to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I had the first flat face Alpine, around $500, the top Alpine EQ with pink noise and sound shaper around $500, two Punch  150 amps at $500 each and four pairs of Pioneer speakers back in high school in my 1967 big  block 4-speed fastback mustang GT. I  graduated in 1983.

Ahh Rockford Fosgate.  I bought a different amp for the same price because the punch was 'only 20 watts.'  Eventually wound up with the Rockford amps, still have one in storage with a 12" Rockford sub. 

• Like 1

When I was home from college the summer of '79, my mom borrowed my '72 Impala to run to the grocery store.  The guy who carried her sacks to the car said that the car must belong to her son.  She said yes and asked how he knew.  He told her it was because the stereo was worth more than the car.  Pioneer triaxial 6x9's in the rear, Jensen triaxial 6x9's under the front seats (didn't want to cut holes in the door panels), a Jensen radio/cassette, and a Jensen 7-band graphic equalizer.  The guy was pretty much correct.

• Like 2