Panasonic and Klipsch Partnering for Automotive Audio

TasDom

On 1/7/2020 at 4:14 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Ahh Rockford Fosgate.  I bought a different amp for the same price because the punch was 'only 20 watts.'  Eventually wound up with the Rockford amps, still have one in storage with a 12" Rockford sub. 

Oh yea had the Punch 45's and a couple Rockford 12's, Alpine head unit and eq in my 80 camaro. It was Rockford vs Kicker on those days (late 80's)….good times.

• Moderators
On 1/7/2020 at 1:36 PM, CECAA850 said:

Pioneer Supertuner was da bomb.

They still make them, I had one  a long time ago. So when needing something out in the bar i thought a car radio could handle a little more dampness than home audio electronics and I remembered the old Supertuners. Well I was surprised to find out the still make them but a 3rd version,  pre-outs and all, put a Crown D 75 with it, works great. It even has a connector for the back to connect a cable to plug in any headphone, ipad or computer as the source, plus CD's.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dtel said:

They still make them, I had one  a long time ago. So when needing something out in the bar i thought a car radio could handle a little more dampness than home audio electronics and I remembered the old Supertuners. Well I was surprised to find out the still make them but a 3rd version,  pre-outs and all, put a Crown D 75 with it, works great. It even has a connector for the back to connect a cable to plug in any headphone, ipad or computer as the source, plus CD's.

Nice application.  Never thought about that until reading your post, but makes sense, super small and you have a tuner.  What did you do for an antenna? 

• Moderators

I don't use the FM or the HD radio, just streaming from a Ipad/phone or laptop plus some burned cd's that stay out there. 

Regular Fm has to many commercials and HD radio only one station I was able to pickup a Blues station and it is not over the air anymore. 

Our WIFI does fine out there so it's streaming, I was quite surprised with the sound of the car radio, it's playing through a pair of Heresy's. It's been doing great for 5 years out in the temp changes, humidity, fog, it does stay dry from rain. The Heresy's are covered with a few coats of black exterior house paint and hung up by the ceiling.

They went where I had the grills in this pic, angled down and upside down, then hidden by a net. 

yard 35.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, nitrofan said:

Eldon how do you hook up a car head unit at home? Some kind of 12 volt power supply? Maybe I'm missing something or not thinking

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Wondering if you hook it up in the vehicle...   @dtel

The crown amp is just plugged in. The car radio is connected to a old car battery that stays on a trickle charger under the bar.

Still can't believe it is still fine after 5 years

As you can see in the last pic I made a little box for the radio and amp, this slides in a shelf behind the bar.

Speaker are kind of hidden, these are old pics, alot more stuff people thrown up in the net, and other things decorating which helps hide the speakers.

yard 41.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Even if they don't design horns/drivers for this application there should be plenty of things to pick from from the better in wall/ceiling designs they already have to get a starting point I would think ?

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

Even if they don't design horns/drivers for this application there should be plenty of things to pick from from the better in wall/ceiling designs they already have to get a starting point I would think ?

That am thinking is where good launching point  could be used...

• Moderators
22 hours ago, thebes said:

Ok ya bunch of old coots. Who cares what car radios sounded like back in the age of dinosaurs.  The question I have is where will the horns go?

#1 100% true

#2 is also 100% correct 

#3 I would guess inside the car connected to wires.....................in other word I have no idea other than that.

I guess we strictly don't need horns. Some of the current Klipsch product line don't have them. Still without horns it still it would seem strange.

Then there is the wood finishes. Will it be available in cherry, walnut or special order exotic woods?  What about an 80th Anniversary Special Addition. Isn't that just around the corner?