Music Sound Systems

Gus

Hi, a little backstory first, i am looking to build a sound system for my Dad with the help of my sister and mum. i don't know to much about sound systems so i'm just looking for a basic overview of what's required for an excellent sound quality system for simply listening to music like TOOL (if that's relevant). So, obviously a CD player is required along with some speakers, is an amp required for great sound quality?, and can anyone suggest a basic system that i can look at to get an idea of what i'm dealing with. 

Thanks in advance. also sorry if this is vague but as i said i don't know to much about the subject myself. also please let me know if i posted this in the wrong place..

Edited by Gus

Welcome my friend , great place to get info .first budget, then size of listening area and type music your pops likes .Does he still have  any vinyl   . There are deals to be had on great used gear if your open for that .Good luck and enjoy the journey !! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gus said:

Hi, a little backstory first, i am looking to build a sound system for my Dad with the help of my sister and mum. i don't know to much about sound systems so i'm just looking for a basic overview of what's required for an excellent sound quality system for simply listening to music like TOOL (if that's relevant). So, obviously a CD player is required along with some speakers, is an amp required for great sound quality?, and can anyone suggest a basic system that i can look at to get an idea of what i'm dealing with. 

Thanks in advance. also sorry if this is vague but as i said i don't know to much about the subject myself. also please let me know if i posted this in the wrong place..

Do you know if a Home theater with say a front 2main speakers are wanted with surround sound speakers for watching movies is wanted. Or, strictly a 2 channel stereo system for listening to music only. Or, a system for listening and watching movies?

The more information about the type of music and how loud will help. Jazz, rock, classical etc.

Also how large of a room or area for the music system. A budget also is wanted to y know more specific system can be suggested.

Thanks, and welcome!

Edit: looks like you are just wanting a 2 speaker stereo system.

• Like 1

thanks for all of your responses :) , we plan on having this be a full surprise.

The system will be strictly use for music and therefore either a 2 channel stereo system or a 2.1 system.

The music that will be played will be rock mostly with some pop and potentially some classical

vinyl wont be used in the system just CD's

Volume will be moderate (loudish but not house shaking) for 99% of time.

the room it will be used in is 4x6m

and as for budget $3000-$4500 AUD ($2100-$3100 USD) also used gear is definitely an option

my Dad who will be the primary user of the system is by no means an audiophile but quality is still important.

Thanks again.

Edited by Gus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

thanks for all of your responses :) , we plan on having this be a full surprise.

The system will be strictly use for music and therefore either a 2 channel stereo system or a 2.1 system.

The music that will be played will be rock mostly with some pop and potentially some classical

vinyl wont be used in the system just CD's

Volume will be moderate (loudish but not house shaking) for 99% of time.

the room it will be used in is 4x6m

and as for budget $3000-$4500 AUD ($2100-$3100 USD)

my Dad who will be the primary user of the system is by no means an audiophile but quality is still important.

Thanks again.

By the way, where are you located? Think he will be pleased with surprise. Going to leave to others to help you achieve your goals.

By tomorrow sure there will be some good choices here.

Thanks for quick reply.

Billy

i'm located in melbourne,victoria, Australia

also, a surprise would be ideal but i know this can be an area where personal opinion plays a part in decision making.

so for some extra idea of what he likes i found that his previous system more than 10 years ago now had 2 Klipsch floor standing speakers with a Rotel Amp and Pre-amp attached. not sure if there was a sub woofer involved, whats your opinions on them for strictly music?

Edited by Gus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Pretty sure there are Klipsch there.

When do you need to do this?

Yes Klipsch is Avalible here.

and this is for a birthday in early march

more info above fyi (i edited)

Edited by Gus

12 minutes ago, Gus said:

i'm located in melbourne,victoria, Australia

also, a surprise would be ideal but i know this can be an area where personal opinion plays a part in decision making.

so for some extra idea of what he likes i found that his previous system more than 10 years ago now had 2 Klipsch floor standing speakers with a Rotel Amp and Pre-amp attached. not sure if there was a sub woofer involved, whats your opinions on them for strictly music?

Like the Rotel reputation. Do you know if he prefers them?

And what model are the floor speakers he had? And, any clue as to what he would prefer now, like, small,larger?   

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Like the Rotel reputation. Do you know if he prefers them?

And what model are the floor speakers he had? And, any clue as to what he would prefer now, like, small,larger?   

i have no idea of exact models of speaker (getting this info from My mum and uncle) , however i do know that they were around 4 feet high and Klipsch. 2 possibly 3 drivers on each and a tweeker at the top. 

size will remain similar (4-5 foot floor standing speakers) volume they can achieve will be relatively high i imagine with appropriate power supply.

I would like to stick to Rotel as he likes their products (or at least that's what i'm hearing)

I can work my way around selecting Speakers relatively easily (with some knowledge of sound in relation to headsets and gaming) i more just need help to determine what other components matter (amps, DAC? pre-amp?) and how to make buying decisions on them

Edit: the speakers were pretty new(1 maybe 2 years old) in 2009-10. if that helps to give an idea

Edited by Gus

Klipsch Forte III ought to suffice (they're what I have so the high recommendation is first-hand) without breaking the bank too terribly.  Since the next model up, the Cornwall, has recently been updated to a version IV, you might find a new pair of the version III at a discounted price.  Here in the U.S. the manufacturer's suggested prices are roughly $4k, $5k, and $6k, in order, per pair.

There was at one time a model above the Forte, called Chorus, which is nominally a "competitor" of the Cornwall.  You can look them all up at klipsch.com.  If any of them can be found used in your market you can save some coin, but fresh and warranteed would be a loving touch.

They are all in the "heritage" series and are 3-way speakers.  Sub-woofers will really not be necessary with any of the mentioned models.

He is going to love you all even more.

• Like 1

Sounds also like Rotel products available there. Right now am thinking of a Rotel Integrated amplifier with a built in DAC,

Which would be just a one piece unit with enough power to do the job.

As to the speakers yes, they sound like they were from the Reference line. They could have been something like RF-7, 83, 5, etc.

There is a new line now using a model. Code like RP-280f, etc.

This is the newer Premiere line

The model.types above are used for home theater or 2 channel listening. These are modern types

Of look and size, form factor more narrow across the front and deeper, approximately 4 foot tall.

It would be nice to have some of the Forte' III as was mentioned as a more classic type, but may be more price prohibitive as to your budget. If you go with the more modern types mentioned above, would go with at least 8 inch drivers.

Back to Rotel, it should have a subwoofer output to accommodate a subwoofer if used for your suggested 2.1 system.

There is a model number being used here that is an integrated that member has that believe is still happy with. Is the subwoofer idea the gentlemans idea or another?

Was there a particular CD player brand model that was used like Rotel or another.

Did he listen to music, news etc. Over his stereo?

We are getting there already.

Making sure an integrated amp is what makes sense.

Meantime, others here have vast knowledge and experience.

Had a moment to look at the Rotel

A 14 an A 12 integrated amps.

Recall models being 80 and 60 watts per channel respectively.

Will look again but, thinking this is correct. The Klipsch speakers do not need alot of watts to power them. Look for 100 watt units also but, right now will wait on your response as to radio needs or not.

Please also respond to previous questions.Rotel also make single CD players and multiple. Of course, still waiting answers.

Thanks...

These would be good basic choices.  You could substitute a receiver (or add a tuner), if radio is wanted.  Other brands could be equally acceptable. 

81-89juOd8L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Integrated amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S801SL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00N30M2DW/ref=pd_sbs_23_4/146-9407214-3965627?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N30M2DW&pd_rd_r=94f95a5f-a3a6-4ece-8f8e-3897fcd731a9&pd_rd_w=I3bZr&pd_rd_wg=PeeCL&pf_rd_p=d53538bb-b0d3-496d-bcb6-268400962ed1&pf_rd_r=7TKQ9SVV0Z8SE772EVVW&psc=1&refRID=7TKQ9SVV0Z8SE772EVVW

718DFGCWXKL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Universal  disc player.  Plays CDs, SACD, DVD-Audio in addition to DVDs and Blu-Rays. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ubp-X800M2-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B07PFRDT16/ref=pd_cp_504_2/146-9407214-3965627?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PFRDT16&pd_rd_r=432d9e0a-a028-4d14-98a9-f45c0526ec20&pd_rd_w=WRqBW&pd_rd_wg=LYWjM&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=A5VM10V67PV4MC5ASY10&psc=1&refRID=A5VM10V67PV4MC5ASY10

71kk0yVeZDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Heresy IIIs

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Heresy-Floorstanding-Speaker-Walnut/dp/B07KXYVMV4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=klipsch+speakers&qid=1578510858&refinements=p_36%3A90000-200000&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Or, perhaps RP-8000s.  Speakers are quite subjective, so selecting them for someone else requires a great knowledge of their likes.  I would recommend good floorstanding speakers so you will not require a subwoofer.  Heresies probably should be in corners, too, for heavy metal. 

BTW do look and consider the posts from others here regarding speakers. Thinking that the gentleman had a related speakers to the RF- line previously mentioned. Certainly the Forte III or the Heresy III are nice candidates, and could be had for a bargain price. Also, the RP-8000 is what you may find there. Looked at the Rotel sites for your area and there is choices to be mades there when you are able to answer those previous questions.

Rotel is settled upon to my understanding so far. There are certainly other brands like the Yamahas mentioned above.

You guys are great :) thanks, 

As for speakers i think i will use something like the rp-8000f (edit i see you mentioned these) or r-820f from klipsch's website as they have the 8" woofers you suggested and i agree. (i think the RF-7's would be cool but seem substantially more expensive in comparison to ^)     and as you suggested as well

I have done some more reading on sub-woofers used for music and they seem like i won't need to add a sub-woofer to the system as from what i understand the previously mentioned speakers can go to a very low range. So i believe and please correct me if i'm wrong there will be diminishing returns on a sub-woofer. I would still like if it's an option to have a sub output on any amps, this way my Dad can add a sub if he wants in the future.

The stereo will be used Primarily for music played from a CD but i would definitely like to have him be able to listen to the radio with the system as well.

So do you believe that an integrated AMP is a good choice?

Are Pre-AMP's still relevant (i know he had a rotel pre-amp on his last system)

Are DAC's relevant as a separate unit? or are integrated amp with a DAC inbuilt fine?

also, when i was looking at speakers such as the rp-8000f they say on the specs sheet that they use 150w continuous and 600w peak, dose this mean i would need an amp that can go to 150w per channel(continuous) ? or is using a speaker at 150w a death sentence for your ears?

for example one of your suggestions was the a-14 amp from rotel that can deliver 80w to each channel, would this hold the speakers back? 

This is probably me just over thinking it?

If i am looking for something with at least 100w per channel as suggested would a separate tuner for the radio be more viable?

John A, thanks for the suggestions, i agree after further reading that a sub-woofer won't be required with any new floor standing speakers with 8" drivers/woofers.

You mentioned the placement of speakers, is this in general or more specifically for the  Heresies? This is something i might have to look into a little.

Thanks again, Everyone.

hope this can help further :)

Edit for another question: The sony disc player above made me think if the quality of the reader means much in terms of final audio quality? If so what makes the difference?

Edited by Gus

Since not know his previous model, was just saying was probably an RF model. The RP820

maybe one with the easy adoption of Atmos mostly used for home theater so double check that model to be sure. Agree with the RP8000f. The RP280 mentioned was a model previous that's essentially the same.

All the Rotel have looked at so far have preouts which will enable addition of a subwoofer later on if wanted.The ones like the RP models may have adequate bass, so can wait and see. The Forte and Heresy model should provide adequate bass those 2 optional.

Ask @JohnA.. In like this if wanting to ask his opinion farther.

You can buy the integrated and buy a separate tuner for radio to plug into using Rotel or other brand. Or, now that you know about radio, can change from an integrated unit and go with an AVR receiver used for HT surround typically, and not stereo. Rotel has them for more money. The integrated uses a Wolfson DAC built-in, just make certain it is a DAC you like. You can ask about placement of speakers should he respond. Think we are making progress. There is options to do this or that later on. Even an external DAC preference.

Just make certain the best you can that you are getting what you want including CD player. Getting some prices at some point and seeing if any compromise may be wanted, there likely may be good ones to consider. Even delivery and set-up at a free or reduced price is a natural, let's make a deal jargon that shops are asked every day. So research, let's deal, not telling what you want to spend and other accessories to sweeten the deal, like a surge protector,

is not an uncommon practice.

Please disregard any of the dealing advice if not comfortable doing so, of course.

Anything we may have missed?