Heresy II Crossover Rebuilds

AuditMan

40 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@AuditMan a couple of points;

1) You can learn to solder and do the DIY thing.  I've learned (I'm 65 so it ain't no age thing!), mostly by becoming interested due to this forum and watching YouTube.  Now, I'm not saying my soldering is as nice as @Deang and other pros, but it's semi-ept functionally.  Why learn?  Because you can then control what you put into your systems, and have fun!  My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

2) By your moniker and story of being away for weeks, I take that you are retired auditor.  Likewise.  Control + Accountability = DIY.  Go for it!  Mr. Crites will provide excellent service and results though, and better soldering than me.  Yes, I was away for weeks at a time too, dang hydrocarbon measurement auditing all over Canada and major projects audits in US. 

Yep, internal audit manager/director for the last 25 years of my career. 33 countries, 5 continents.  I'm to the point in my life where I'm comfortable letting the pros do it.  I still cut my own grass and take care of my vehicles, though. A friend of mine is a retired electrical engineer.  His retirement job is repairing guitar amplifiers for local musicians.  I could probably get him to teach me how to solder.  

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

We can all recap the crossovers.  But Bob actually tests them afterwords and makes sure they are a matched pair and spot on.  That's what is worth the money.  You want matched pairs of drivers and crossovers.

Thank you.  Hadn't thought of it that way. 

1 hour ago, AuditMan said:

Where'd you put them???

I'm sure he would find room. He probably needs to get the Klipsch horn loaded sub.

I was impressed when I got my MWM cabinets in my own room. Bass is clean and effortless.

3 hours ago, AuditMan said:

Yep, internal audit manager/director for the last 25 years of my career. 33 countries, 5 continents.  I'm to the point in my life where I'm comfortable letting the pros do it.  I still cut my own grass and take care of my vehicles, though. A friend of mine is a retired electrical engineer.  His retirement job is repairing guitar amplifiers for local musicians.  I could probably get him to teach me how to solder.  

BTW, during those 25 years I did work in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia.  I was in Edmonton on 9/11/01. Freaked my kids out.  They were all calling and asking "where's daddy?" 

Okay, back on topic.  While I have to remove the tweeters and mids to remove the crossovers, I might as well change out the tweeter diaphragms.  Has anyone done this and how easy is it even for a klutz like me?  The instruction I received from Crites seem pretty straightforward.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, AuditMan said:

Crossover are on their way to Crites.  In the return box will also be a pair of titanium tweeter diaphragms.  

If you follow Bob's directions, you should have no trouble replacing the diaphragms. They will made a bigger sound improvement than the crossovers. I've been happy with my titanium diaphragms. Don't let the initial increase in brightness discourage you, they settle in after several hours and you will be rewarded with a bigger soundstage, crisper highs, and a cleaner midrange.

12 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

If you follow Bob's directions, you should have no trouble replacing the diaphragms. They will made a bigger sound improvement than the crossovers. I've been happy with my titanium diaphragms. Don't let the initial increase in brightness discourage you, they settle in after several hours and you will be rewarded with a bigger soundstage, crisper highs, and a cleaner midrange.

Thanks.  I took one apart yesterday and thought "that's it?"  Can't wait.

The last time I moved, all of my tools and supplies were unavailable to me for a long time. I found a pair of HIP's for cheap and couldn't wait to recap them. All I could do was borrow a soldering iron and a pair of finger nail clippers for wire cutters and a really dull pair of wire strippers. I ordred the caps from Bob.

Didn't even have a work bench or table to work on. Just the livingroom floor.

Here's the result.....the mess that it is......but it works.

IMG_20200118_142030.jpg

On 1/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mighty Favog said:

The last time I moved, all of my tools and supplies were unavailable to me for a long time. I found a pair of HIP's for cheap and couldn't wait to recap them. All I could do was borrow a soldering iron and a pair of finger nail clippers for wire cutters and a really dull pair of wire strippers. I ordred the caps from Bob.

Didn't even have a work bench or table to work on. Just the livingroom floor.

Here's the result.....the mess that it is......but it works.

IMG_20200118_142030.jpg