Stanton turntable

mopardave

Stanton decks are consindered super oem tables, they are manufactured by hanpin. Hanpin makes alot of direct drive tables for dj use, they do offer a fairly good value for the money in that relm.  After a little research you will find most oem tables have a similar quality, they get fairly good reviews from dj's but troubled reviews from audiophiles and others who are looking into higher end gear.  Here is the top result from a stanton super oem search. https://www.vinyloftheday.com/super-oem-turntables/

The stanton str-88 tables are known to thrash records with their straight tone arms, but will track the record and not skip with aggressive scratching.  So if thats the table your looking at, i would pass.

8 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

The stanton str-88 tables are known to thrash records with their straight tone arms

I fail to see how the shape of the tonearm has any bearing on that.  It doesn't matter if it's straight, s-shaped, or anything else so long as the cartridge is square to the spiral in the two right places.  Now if you'd said something about the arm horizontal pivot being square to the arm instead of to the cartridge I guess that might be a point of discussion...

47 minutes ago, glens said:

I fail to see how the shape of the tonearm has any bearing on that.  It doesn't matter if it's straight, s-shaped, or anything else so long as the cartridge is square to the spiral in the two right places.  Now if you'd said something about the arm horizontal pivot being square to the arm instead of to the cartridge I guess that might be a point of discussion...

I remember seeing an AKAI turntable in the store back in the 80's that the tone arm did not swing side to side, but was held straight and read the album as it was cut at the factory.

6 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I remember seeing an AKAI turntable in the store back in the 80's that the tone arm did not swing side to side, but was held straight and read the album as it was cut at the factory.

Quite a number of linear tracking tables still out there. My older son has one.

Here's a Harmon-Kardon model from the '70s... Thorens, Technics, Mitsubishi and many others.

HK_linear_tracking.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Quite a number of linear tracking tables still out there. My older son has one.

Here's a Harmon-Kardon model from the '70s... Thorens, Technics, Mitsubishi and many others.

HK_linear_tracking.jpg

And I thought AKAI was the only one.   Linear tracking a good idea?

Linear tracking can allow for the stylus to be squared to the groove across the entire record surface instead of at only two places as with a "bent" pivoting arm.

It's really more a novelty, however, at least historically.  It works, but is high-maintenance, and adds much greater chance of noise being picked up from the arm transport system.  A modern version if it had electronics for sensing and drive might fare some better, if such exists.

Even at its best, though, an LP playback system just doesn't have the dynamic range and low noise floor that digital typically achieves.  I realize some folks desire the more "organic" nature of analog sources, similar to those who prefer tube amplification, but I've moved on, and not just because the bulk of the world's population has.

3 hours ago, mopardave said:

Linear tracking a good idea?

In theory...

I believe they need two motors, one for the platter and one for the arm tracking. They are certainly, as glens says, higher maintenance. I only have a turntable for some LPs that aren't on CD and will never be, but I like to listen to the music once in a while.