Who Knew That Christmas Trees are Tasty.

Shiva

• Moderators

They have been recycling them for years here, they collect them and put the trees out in the marshland. They catch sediment in the water and it settles there to help rebuild land. 

Just a couple  groups doing it but it's pretty widespread, they bundle them up and fly them out with helicopters to be dropped off.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/recycle-your-christmas-tree-to-help-rebuild-louisiana-wetlands/289-b3faffbd-d3a1-4af2-ab53-c1066937c187

https://www.jeffparish.net/departments/coastal-management/christmas-tree-marsh-restoration

Coastal Logo  Tree Page Title CLICK HERE TO RSVP for the 30th Annual Christmas Tree Project

Our Christmas tree recycling shoreline protection project is currently in its 30th year and going strong diverting hundreds of thousands of Christmas trees from the Jefferson Parish Landfill to the rich wetland habitat within the Barataria Basin. Recycled trees are used to build wave dampening fences and to fill in man-made canals to help reduce coastal erosion and reestablish the natural hydrology of the area. Since its inception, more than 15,500 linear feet of shoreline wave dampening fences have been constructed and six abandoned oil and gas canals have been filled near the town of Jean Lafitte. Additionally, we utilize our Christmas tree recycling project to increase public awareness of wetland losses, solid waste issues and conservation of our natural resources.

Project Quick Facts

• Since 1991, over 800,000 Christmas trees, or over 900 linear miles worth, have been recycled by using them to mitigate shoreline erosion and rebuild wetlands, rather than taking up valuable landfill space.
  • Approximately 5,000 trees are collected annually and are used to build tree fences that slow wave action, trap sediments, combat erosion, and protect wetlands

Awards and Recognition

• 1994 - National Association of Counties Environmental Achievement Award
  • 1995 - Bureau of Governmental Research Excellence in Government Keller Award
  • 1996 - Renew America National Award for Environmental Sustainability
  • 1997 – Parish received 70 Christmas Trees from the White House
  • 1999 - U.S. EPA Region 6 Administrator’s Envir. Excellence Award for Envir. Education
  • 2000 – SWANA/NCTA Christmas Tree Recycling Excellence Award
  • 2001 – Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana’s Coastal Stewardship Organization Award for Efforts to Preserve and Restore Louisiana’s Threatened Coastal Wetlands
  • 2001 – Walter B. Jones Memorial Award Excellence in Local Government for Coastal and Ocean Resource Management

Click here to watch project coverage provided by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt.

Click the PDF below to see a map of our current tree fences and adjacent shoreline changes.

2018ShorelineComparison200x300.png

• Like 6

On 1/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, billybob said:

Suppose a goat has it's limit.

Wish I could know mine...

Good advice!

Mine get the ploppy poops when they eat too much of our juniper/cedar trees in the pasture. I try to entice them with plenty of other things to browse on, but they always end up back at those trees.

• Like 1

If anyone has a goat.....or is yourself, an old goat.....  we have a hillside with plenty of Kudzu that can be roamed & eaten until your gut acid is bloated.

Free offer, you provide transportation, I'll provide the Zantac.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Mine get the ploppy poops when they eat too much of our juniper/cedar trees in the pasture. I try to entice them with plenty of other things to browse on, but they always end up back at those trees.

Wow, grew up in farming but I missed that technical term "ploppy poops"  is that a Texas thing.  LOL

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Brother had some awhile back and found that they would eat most anything including paper, and anything that was available in their  large pen. Preferring leaves off of their shade trees, and climbing on their cover to reach as high as they could reach to eat them. Gave them supposed goat food but, he found out they were more of a farm type of animal full range he guessed. No grass was left in their area.

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Brother had some awhile back and found that they would eat most anything including paper, and anything that was available in their  large pen. Preferring leaves off of their shade trees, and climbing on their cover to reach as high as they could reach to eat them. Gave them supposed goat food but, he found out they were more of a farm type of animal full range he guessed. No grass was left in their area.

Goats are browsers, so they like broad leafy vegetation and the tall grasses. They'll eat down to the grass roots if left without any other option, but their digestive systems aren't as parasite resistant as sheep so it's best to give them plenty of other options. I feed mine on pasture in the fair weather months, then alfalfa pellets + spent beer grains + hay in the winter.

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

Goats are browsers, so they like broad leafy vegetation and the tall grasses. They'll eat down to the grass roots if left without any other option, but their digestive systems aren't as parasite resistant as sheep so it's best to give them plenty of other options. I feed mine on pasture in the fair weather months, then alfalfa pellets + spent beer grains + hay in the winter.

Sounds like good recommendation

for a goat healthy diet. Thanks!