Who Knew That Christmas Trees are Tasty.

Shiva

I live in northwest Montana and as I walk through the forest I like to strip the soft needles from Larch branches using my teeth. They're very soft and strip off easily. You can chew them for a couple of minutes as they liquify. I swallow them. They taste like a mix of mint and lemon. Many people regard Larch and Birch bark and other parts as medicinal.

• Like 1

@billybob, yes goats are often used for weed control in pastures and in forests. They can eat weeds that are toxic to other animals. Some people rent their goats to farmers and tree farms for this purpose. Put a llama or two among them to fend of predators and you have an organic method of weed control.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JerryC said:

@billybob, yes goats are often used for weed control in pastures and in forests. They can eat weeds that are toxic to other animals. Some people rent their goats to farmers and tree farms for this purpose. Put a llama or two among them to fend of predators and you have an organic method of weed control.

Llama, yes can see some predator control. Guarding their young...cool... coyote s

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Randyh said:

you would be surprised to see the size of Coyotes , now , here in the Northern Country NY -Vermont- and  Quebec Canada -   llamas  would not stand a chance in a pack of Coyotes -

Believe pack is the keyword there

Game cameras can help... thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Randyh said:

After the distillation of the needles of the Christmas trees ,and the oil is separated   ---- the leftover is mixed with feed  for cattle -the rest of the tree is used for wood chips that can be used for pellet wood stoves --

One time I made the mistake of putting some Christmas tree needles in the cast iron kettle on top of the wood stove while it was hot. In about 10 minutes the smell was so strong I had to take the kettle outside then clean it.  That kettle stays on top the stove to help add some moisture when the heater is lit, it took some time for that smell to come out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Also it's not just about size but attitude, the same reason they will put a donkey to protect much bigger horses.

But in a pack I would guess anything can change.

Oh yeah. I have seen donkeys or mules amid a herd of weed-eating goats. So that's why.

• Like 1