Anyone use Smart Plugs of any kind at home?

avguytx

Just curious if anyone uses any Smart Plugs at home and what brand you went went, how are they working so far, etc.  I'm not out to go crazy with them but for some various lamps in that house that plug into AC outlets, it would be rather nice to run them on a schedule or have an app for them.  I'm about to change out the basic thermostat that came with our new house to something more smart, too.  I need something that runs on a schedule like I've always had.  I'm a Windows/Android guy so use the "Ok Google" and nothing Alexa really.  I have Amazon Fire Sticks but don't use voice for them.  

Amazon has 4 packs of the Smart Plugs from various no name brands with quite a few sales on many but you know how those can be.  Any of you guys use them?

• Like 1

I bought a 4-pack of cheap ones from Amazon about a year ago. I used them to set up my daughter's room for voice commanded lighting through an echo dot. One of the plugs would not initially hook up to wi-fi so I just skipped it and used the others. About 6 months later 1 lost connection, so I swapped it with the original that didn't work, but was fine the 2nd time. Another time 1 lost connection, but my daughter figured out how to re-pair it to the wi-fi. So my assessment is the cheap ones work fine if you don't mind fiddling with one every once in a while. Otherwise spend a few bucks more for some better ones. If buying from Amazon I highly recommend thoroughly reading reviews before purchasing. Good Luck!

I've tried several including Insignia, Amazon brand and Kasa TP-link.

Returned Insignia and Amazon smart plugs due to lags, disconnects and Insignia exiting support for theirs.

I have 6 Echo devices and now 8 of the Kasa TP -link plugs. Instant on/off when command is given and have yet to disconnect......they just work as expected and I can highly recommend.

They also work with Google but I have no experience there...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-HS105P3-Anywhere-Required-Assistant/dp/B07HGSRF1R/ref=asc_df_B07HGSRF1R/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309768150198&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16336840628072506191&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030460&hvtargid=pla-571733402158&psc=1

@capo72  @TasDom   Thank you guys.  That was exactly the info I was looking for.  It's the old line...you get what you pay for....and especially in this day and age.  There's not a bunch of plugs I'd want to use them for; mainly a few lamps around the house on timers that can work if no one is home, etc.

• Like 1

Since our IT budget is stupid small where I work, we have used TP-Link wireless routers and access points for years. They have been quite reliable, too. When they do break, it isn't much of a loss to throw them away.