Klipsch K-48 Woofer for KP-301

Vincent Latini

Hello Klipsch World -

I have a Klipsch K-48 Woofer from a 1990 KP-301 that is not working. I have had it looked at and it has been determined that the magnet has shifted. I would either like to get it repaired or find a replacement.

Also as a interim fix, could I use a K-34 K from a 1986-1990 Cornwall or LaScala.

Thanks -

Vinnie Latini

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a few weeks old, but I had a similar incident happen on one of my K-48-KP woofers. 

I assume you are hearing a rubbing sound and it is probably driving you crazy.  

If you woofer is like mine.  There should be some screws heads located below the cone of the woofer, if you loosen them just slightly and then tighten them back down it might fix your issue. That is what I did on mine and it has worked flawlessly since. I used and angle ratcheting wrench to complete the task.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:57 AM, Vincent Latini said:

I have a Klipsch K-48 Woofer from a 1990 KP-301 that is not working. I would either like to get it repaired or find a replacement.

Also as a interim fix, could I use a K-34 K from a 1986-1990 Cornwall or LaScala.

Have you tried contacting Klipsch directly? An off the shelf comparable woofer would likely be cheaper but Klipsch does sell replacement parts for their speakers and the K48EP (121534) is used in current KPT models.

And the K34 (a dressed up version of the K33 used in the CWII) would work in a pinch though if i remember correctly it is like 2dB less sensitive. The K48(4ohm)/K45(8ohm) are basically pro versions of the original K33(4ohm)... fundamentally I would consider them very similar, though being designed for pro lines, they are more sensitive and built to handle more power. Their wattage handling is not a function of their bass output however? In fact the K33, by design, actually has better low end response but that ability is of no use in the pro market where the 301 would likely never see signal below like 50Hz?

I've attached an old scan of the spec sheet for the K1545/K1548 which might be of some help if you want to source a replacement from an aftermarket supplier? They early versions of the 45 & 48. 

Klipsch K-1545_K-1548.pdf

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:57 AM, Vincent Latini said:

Hello Klipsch World -

I have a Klipsch K-48 Woofer from a 1990 KP-301 that is not working. I have had it looked at and it has been determined that the magnet has shifted. I would either like to get it repaired or find a replacement.

Easiest and probably the cheapest fix is to watch the garage sale section here and or eBay and wait for a working used one to pop up if you buy new you should replace both which will end up costing quite a bit. @jimjimbo had a pair of new old stock for sale a little while ago you might see if he still has a pair for sale or not. 

• 2 years later...